• Birth of a Snow shed

Well after working all weekend, I have finally managed to get a start on the snow shed.

The background: I wanted to have a snow shed to 1) add interest to the layout and 2) kind of frame in the area where the trestle is located. For those interested, I went onto the internet and googled railroad snow sheds, found a picture of one I liked and I'm now trying to capture the spirit of that snow shed on the Dakotah Western. I then looked for the dimentions of the beams and lumber of a snow shed and managed to find a detailed description. I LOVE the internet for that type of stuff. Finally, I went to the LHS and Hobby Lobby to acquire the needed balsa wood.

One pic is of the area where the snow shed will be built. The other pic is the start of the snow shed. I will post additional pics as the project progresses.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Birth of a Snow shed started by NDJim View original post
    Comments 8 Comments
      TwinDad -
      Hey! That thing looks positively rickety! Nice weathering!

Did you think about having a loose or broken board somewhere, are your maintenance crews too quick for that?
      NDJim -
      Quote Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
      Did you think about having a loose or broken board somewhere, are your maintenance crews too quick for that?
      Actually TD I was thinking of having some old discarded (replaced) boards laying on the ground as part of the scenery/details of the area. From the pictures I saw of snow sheds on the internet, unless the track had been abandoned it looks like the snow sheds were kept up so as not to impead the railroad during winter months. Someone else may know more about this than me, but I will post pics once the scenery/detailing is done to finish this project. If you look carefully at some of the pictures you will notice on the front protion of the roof there have been repairs made. Don't know if you can see them on the weathered photos or not.
      Sherman -
      That looks great Jim! I just finished reading a book called "White Cascade" about the Great Northern avalanche disaster and snow sheds were a prominent feature of the line throughout the Cascades Division. Many looked virtually identical to yours. Excellent work.

--Sherman
      NDJim -
      Here is the snow shed with partial scenery around it. Will post a final picture when the scenery is completed. As you can see it was early morning and hazy when the individual snapped this photo. (My excuse for the slightly out of focus pic)
      BryanC (RIP) -
      Jim, looks like it could be a great picture but it is out of focus!!!!!
      NDJim -
      Quote Originally Posted by BryanC View Post
      Jim, looks like it could be a great picture but it is out of focus!!!!!

Ok, Ok. Here is a better picture of the same shot. I knew I was going to get grief!
      BryanC (RIP) -
      There you go!
      Sherman -
      I like it! The trees with broken tops and branches are great and add to the realism. In an avalanche area there are lots of broken and damaged trees.

--Sherman