View RSS Feed

Albey25

Uncovering the past

Rate this Entry
Hi all!

Last week Pam and I journeyed to Winthrop Mass with some old friends. We had come across an article about a narrow gauge railroad that used to run through Winthrop Mass, which is a small city located right under the runway flight path from Logan International Airport in East Boston. The line used to come over the bridge from "Eastie" and make a wide loop around the edge of Winthrop and rejoin the same line and return to the big city. Unlike the Darby Line, which you can read about a few entries back in my blog, there is plenty of information about this narrow gauge line available on line, and at the local historical society. Of course, for now, the historical society is off limits, but things are gradually improving.

The article is right here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bost...throp_sections

if you're interested.

And here is the map they give you: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File...n_postcard.jpg

I've added a few pics of my own as well.

Thanks to Steve and Marie Morrow, who are not model railroaders, but are my friends. (Talk about crosses to bear! But that's another story) They lived not too far from this area for many years, and in fact, still live kinda close by, and they drove Pam and I back and forth across the town until we started finding faint vestiges of the rail lines, then we were like bloodhounds on the trail and we tracked the entire, circuitous route! Check out these snapshots:
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Narrow gauge 2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	112161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pam Narrow Gauge.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	112160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	narrow gauge 5.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	112159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	narrow gauge downtown.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	112162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Narrow gauge 3.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	112163  

Updated 11th Jul 2020 at 10:38 PM by Albey25 (correction)

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Prototype Related

Comments

Sorry folks, the link that got me to the map is now getting me to a picture of a trolley, which I hadn't seen among the pics I've had a chance to view. Kinda neat though
    Updated 12th Jul 2020 at 04:29 AM by Albey25