View RSS Feed

Brian_H

My New Railroad Adventure

Rate this Entry
Short version: My wife wants me to have something to do when I retire in 10 years, so I am returning to model railroading after a very long absence.

So:

Negotiations with her are complete over space: it will be in our 3rd bedroom which we have always used as a storage room (aka 'Junk Room'). I am using shelving modules as my benchwork (see photo). The shelves are all interlocked and with all that weight in them they are like a rock. The top most shelf is 38 1/2 inches above the floor. My current plan, once the remaining items in the room are relocated (treadmill, etc) is to use 1/2 plywood or MDF as the board, brace it underneath with 2"x2" for framework.

The board will overhang the long edges by 4 inches each side, and I intend to attach a curtain which will hand down and conceal the storage shelves and all the boxes on them (that's what's left of my wife's comic book collection there along the bottom shelf).

Ultimately I may add a small wing at one or each corner along the far wall to add an interchange or a grain ship loading area.

I expect to have a lot of fun (and no doubt some frustration!) along the way.

At first I'll go with roadnames from my youth: N&W and later NS. I'm thinking setting the time period roughly in the 80's right around the time NS acquired N&W.

However I WILL have a Nickel Plate Berkshire! My uncle was a fireman and later engineer on Berkshires for the Nickel Plate running between Bellevue and Fort Wayne mostly. So I will want to make sure that I don't have too sharp a curve on the main line.

That's it for now.

Hopefully I'll keep this blog updated. This is a new thing too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bnchwork.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	113440
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good luck! Keep on blogging and I'll keep reading. I, too, returned for the zillionth time recently ( with the lockdown) and have chronicled it all in my blog. Nice to have you back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Albey25
    Good luck! Keep on blogging and I'll keep reading. I, too, returned for the zillionth time recently ( with the lockdown) and have chronicled it all in my blog. Nice to have you back!

In case you are still interested:

I moved this thread to the Layout forum at the recommendation of the moderators.

https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...618#post594618