View RSS Feed


You live, you learn.

Rate this Entry
As I noted in a previous post I can't seem to bring myself to finish the last of the passenger station. I'm distracted and lazy, which can be a lethal combination. The current distraction, apart from a recent vacation, has been the city park I've referenced in pervious blogs and "build threads". I had hoped to be able to do a weekend update kind of thing and tell you about my completed park, but alas, a trick I learned 40 years ago backfired on me. In those days, the notion of textured ceilings was just blossoming in my corner of the world. One of the plasterers liked to mix white ceiling paint into his plaster which saved the painters (us) a step. A well known trick in model railroading is to spread the plaster-of-paris on to the area in question and, once it's dry, paint it with a suitable ground color, so that if any of it shows through, it's not quite so offensive looking. My city park is going to be grassy, with a brick walkway running through it. It will be a tree-shaded oasis for the weary pedestrian, situated directly across the cobblestoned street from Beaufield's Grand Union Terminal. Location has to be precise because I want the station in place so that I can put the tracks exactly where I want them. (This is, after all, a model railroad.)

My material of choice is drywall joint compound. I always cut it with water, which prevents cracking as it dries and remembering the benevolent plasterer of many years back, I also mixed some green paint into it. Now to be honest, I've mixed ceiling paint into a lot of drywall mud over the years when I've been called upon, and it has always worked out to mine, and the customers' satisfaction. What never came up was drying time. The paint slowed the "cure time" to a matter of days, not hours, and it thwarted my plans to complete the project in time for a Sunday forum post. Oh well.

Here is a pic of the park, laid out, with the cobblestone street and sidewalks as well as the horseshoe shaped walkway all glued to the base.

Next, I applied blue painter's tape over the designated areas (sorry, no pics) and placed the three trees I decided on and spread my green mixture into place.

Herein, everything ground to a halt until this morning when I deemed it dry enough to remove the side barriers and blue tape.

This is where it sits as of this writing. It's still a little soft in the middle, though the edges have dried nicely, which tells me I'll be alright. As a side note, the plaster did crack a little bit, but it's so soft and clay-like that I can push it into position rather easily. It's taken 48 hours with one of those little electric heaters standing inches from it to get it this dry. When it's a ceiling, who cares about dry time? A tree shaded oasis for weary pedestrians is another matter.

Updated 10th Nov 2020 at 07:25 PM by Albey25

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
'N' Scale Related