View RSS Feed

Albey25

Iconic Bridge from Another Perspective

Rate this Entry
It seems like every one of my blog posts starts with an apology for not posting more. Let's assume that tradition continues and just move on.

My lovely bride of 53 years gave me a scare about a month ago. I've written in the past about friends who travel with us, and who generously indulge our love of all things railroad related. Well, in late May the four of us spent a wonderful four days in beautiful Vermont. I'll spare you the travelogue except to say that we all got Covid! Three of us shook it off in fine style, but Pam, my wife, wound up in the hospital with a host of conditions, any one of which could be potentially deadly! They kept me from visiting her for a week, then they transferred her to a room where myself and my son were the only visitors allowed, and separately at that! Finally, after two weeks, they stabilized her to the point that she could come home. Since then, her recovery has been swift. (Thanks to all throughout the N Scale community for their prayers and concerns.)

Once she was feeling a bit better, we took a ride to our favorite walking trail, along the Cape Cod Canal at the base of the iconic lift bridge which spans the canal and services the Mass Coastal RR which operates the "trash train" as well as the Dinner Train and several special trains which attract tourists to the Cape area. In addition, the Mass Bay Transportation Authority, or MBTA for short, runs a commuter train from Hyannis to Boston every weekend during the summer. I'm told that this is the only facet of the MBTA which actually turns a profit. I've seen the train, it's always packed! But I digress. On this particular day we did something we've never done: We went across to the other end of the bridge and explored it from this new angle. I should poit out the once the tracks cross the bridge, there is a junction, with the main line going along the canal through Bourne, Sandwich, West Barnstable and eventually terminating in Hyannis. The other, branch line, runs straight into Falmouth and serves their transfer area. The first thing that popped out at me was the proximity of the junction to the end of the bridge. It's right there! Here's a photo:

Then I walked out to the bridge and took a shot of the junction:

Not far from where I was standing the Army Corps has placed this placard, detailing the structure and its history:

We only walked a short distance, perhaps 1/2 a mile, which I thought was pretty good for a first venture out. The poor girl had been through a lot over the previous weeks, and I thought she did good just to get out and enjoy the bright sunshine. Walking back, I couldn't resist taking one last shot of the bridge. Mind you, I have dozens of pictures of this bridge, but none from this side. I guess it looks the same, but oh well.

As we were leaving, Pam noticed that golden emblem at the top of this picture. I don't have any idea what it represents, perhaps the bridge, or maybe the Army Corps of Engineers. I'm sure the information can be obtained, but we all need a little mystery in our lives.

Can you tell that I love this bridge? It has been modeled countless times, but I never tire of seeing how model railroaders treat it. If you know of any, contact me. I'd love to see them.

Needless to say, work on the layout has ground to a halt, and now that baseball season is upon us, and my Gatemen are in ful swing, there probably won't be much from me until mid-August.

And that about covers my next apology.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Prototype Related

Comments

yes , that Is the Corps. of Engineering icon . I've seen it listed around dams also. interesting they made such an ornate part for it . I wonder what's inside those spheres up there?
    I'm not sure but I don't think the Army built the bridge, but rather inherited it at some point. My gues is the Old Colony RR built it, or else possibly the New Haven?