Thread: Locomotives suggestions please

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re:Locomotives suggestions please

Any of the engines you listed would serve you well. They are all quality models.

How 'bout just picking the two that you like the best?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep. pick what you like.

unless you are one concerned with having a certain roadname, and running only what specific units that road really ran, and a particular time line, etc.

if you find things you like, and are concerned if they are known "bad" locos or ones with problems, perhaps post here 1st before buying and ask what people think of them quality wise.

pretty much any kato & atlas will be good solid runners. you can get cheaper if you need to. but there are atlas & kato out there for $49 and up.

I saw a review online with lots of detail photos of those Green & White Burlington SD40-2 and I think I might have to buy a couple. they look sooooo nice! looks like they are $69 each.
    Model RailRoading since 1976

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Operating separate trains on "loops" is not very prototypical and you will probably soon tire of it. I would suggest you start with one four axle locomotive and acquire a senond of the same size later. Those 9.75" radius curves won't set well with six axle power, and locomotives that can't negotiate all of your railroad soon sit idle in the boxes. I know this all too well, having some six axle power that's been in boxes for decades.

Put the MODELING back in model railroading.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thirdrail... Thanks for the info on 6 axle and 9 3/4 curves... I tweaked layout design and got rid of all 9 3/4... Made them 11... The two trains thought was for grandpa/grandson (5 y/o) playing around at times to the sacrifice of being prototypical... :-)

Kozmo... I liked the looks of the Kato SD40-2 also... Now that I got rid of all the 9 3/4 curves, I might be able to run it on my layout! BN has a mainline that runs right through Monroe WA, so we see a lot of the Green&Whites besides the Orange&Greens...

pasayten

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With your grandson in mind, you could get a pair of LL GP20's. You may find some in BN colors. They could be your "old timers", mixed with Atlas GP 30 35 or 38's. another choice in cab units may be the LL F9. You could mix in some Alcos with the excellent LL FA1 or FA2 ABBA sets. THey may have some in GN colors.

For your switcher, the new Atlas MP may fill the bill. You will want some SD40-2 models.

If you are confused about BN locomotives, you could get a color guide book. This would become a good resource to see what models lasted how long.

BTW your layout looks very good. I'm glad you were able to take out the tight curves in favor of 11'. You could mix in some Amtrak Empire Builder cars if you want. I'd pull a set of superliners with the Kato F40's.
    Glenn Woodle