Thread: Kato NW2 and LifeLike SW1200 Switchers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Kato NW2 and LifeLike SW1200 Switchers

Quote Originally Posted by "BryanC"
    I paid about $40 for the LL (probably closer to $50 when the couplers are changed) and $74 for the Kato. Is the difference worth it? This may be a bit of a moot point since the LL is now very hard to come by now and the Kato has only just been released.
    That entirely depends on if you're a prototype modeler or not. If you're modeling an NW2 then only an NW2 will suffice. If you're just buying a switcher to buy a switcher then you have some more latitude to play with.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re:Kato NW2 and LifeLike SW1200 Switchers

I just received my NW2 from Fifer, and have been breaking it in this afternoon. Typical Kato..... looks good, runs good.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Kato NW2 and LifeLike SW1200 Switchers

Quote Originally Posted by "railohio"
    Quote Originally Posted by "BryanC"
    I paid about $40 for the LL (probably closer to $50 when the couplers are changed) and $74 for the Kato. Is the difference worth it? This may be a bit of a moot point since the LL is now very hard to come by now and the Kato has only just been released.
    That entirely depends on if you're a prototype modeler or not. If you're modeling an NW2 then only an NW2 will suffice. If you're just buying a switcher to buy a switcher then you have some more latitude to play with.
    Errr .. railiohio, what exactly is your point? What you say is absolutely correct; further, if you are modeling an SW1200 then only an SW1200 will do! I think everyone knows that. Your final sentence says it all and that is what this thread is all about.

Modelers that specifically want an SW1200 or an NW2 will only find this thread of passing interest (assuming they open it at all). But many (most?) others that are interested in a switcher of this general style and appearance may find this thread of great interest. And it is those to whom the thread was generally directed!

I am one of those; I could care less of the specific differences between the prototypical SW1200 and the NW2. Both these models are good looking and both run well. That is why I will keep and use them both on

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bryan C
    Great job! I like to see side by side comparisions of the same - whoops! similar products from different manufacturers. I too am not a stickler for running pricise prototypes (or spelling). I run what I like.

BTW - maybe someone could point out in the two pictures the difference between an SW1200 and an NW2? Other than color, which has nothing to do with the prototype manufacturer's model, I can't tell any difference between the two from the pictures (front grill?).

I'm waiting to get a Kato NW2 when they introduce some more road names. I bet I could run a CSX NW2 w/ my CSX SW1500 and fool anybody who doesn;t work for a railroad.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "nycolin"
    ...someone could point out in the two pictures the difference between an SW1200 and an NW2?...
    Front Grill, Front of the cab, long hood's roof slope near the cab, I believe the long-hoods themselves are different, as well.

Cheers
    AR
    Siderod (II)
    Andrew Reid
    Junction Design
    Custom Designed N-scale Stuff!
    www.shapeways.com/shops/junctiondesign

Have a product you would like to see made in N?
    Feel free to get in touch with suggestions!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Siderod -

Yes! You're right of course. Now I see the different windows on the front of the cab. But I can't see any difference in the front hood slope or hood itself in these pictures.

Turns out I'm also wrong about my own NW2 which isn't. It's an MP15DC. Some more reserach also shows that for those who like to be proto-true there is also a big difference between the NW2 and SW1500 in the time they were built and in use. The NW2's were built from '39 to '49 and the SW1500 from '66 to '74.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "nycolin"
    I'm waiting to get a Kato NW2 when they introduce some more road names. I bet I could run a CSX NW2 w/ my CSX SW1500 and fool anybody who doesn;t work for a railroad.
    You might have to wait a while from Kato for more road names. They're well known to wait years between subsequent locomotive runs. On the other hand, did any body get this information from a Kato representative at a recent show?

You'd also have to paint your own CSX NW2 because, 1) they never rostered any and, 2) Kato doesn't have a history of doing whatever paint scheme fits their fancy like Con-Cor does.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

railohio

Yeh I realized it was unlikely that an NW2 ever made it into CSX livery as my further research showed they were not produced after 1949. Though I did see that Kato had done a Conrail HO version so if they redo that in N I can "stretch" history a bit to run them together. I also see that it was one year between the first two Kato runs of NW2s ('93 & '94) of about 8 roadnames each. Then 4 more years before they wrapped it up with a couple of extra SP and SF striped versions.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nycolin,
    Check out the slope between the top of the long hood and the cab...I think you'll see the difference.

Brian,
    I spoke with the Kato guys in Springfield, and after a bit of coaxing and reading between the lines, I found out that they're planning on doing these the same as they did the SD70-series, and the new SD40-2's...a road or two at a time, released a couple months apart. It was also said that the list of HO roads would be a good place to start looking with regards to what will be produced in N-scale. I'm in for at least one CN unit.

AR
    Siderod (II)
    Andrew Reid
    Junction Design
    Custom Designed N-scale Stuff!
    www.shapeways.com/shops/junctiondesign

Have a product you would like to see made in N?
    Feel free to get in touch with suggestions!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "siderod"
    nycolin,
    Check out the slope between the top of the long hood and the cab...I think you'll see the difference.

Brian,
    I spoke with the Kato guys in Springfield, and after a bit of coaxing and reading between the lines, I found out that they're planning on doing these the same as they did the SD70-series, and the new SD40-2's...a road or two at a time, released a couple months apart. It was also said that the list of HO roads would be a good place to start looking with regards to what will be produced in N-scale. I'm in for at least one CN unit.

AR
    I hate to pee on your parade but, except for the sd70 w/ cab headlight which was offered in [one] new paint scheme within a month of the first release, the minimum time between Kato N-scale releases is 8 months to 19 months. Better get out the airbrush.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you have both, I'd like to see if there are any performance differences? Starting Speed, High speed,(control range) pulling power, etc.
    See how many 40ft boxcars you can pull?
    Could they work together as a pair?
    Glenn Woodle

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 511 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those are beautiful locomotives Bryan.
    :SFSD75M::SPWELL::TTX::SPWELL:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "Glenn"
    Since you have both, I'd like to see if there are any performance differences? Starting Speed, High speed,(control range) pulling power, etc.
    See how many 40ft boxcars you can pull?
    Could they work together as a pair?
    Glenn,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Both start smoothly and have good slow speed performance. Both have little or no issues with Atlas plastic frog switches. Both can pull 10 cars around the circuit with no issues what-so-ever. (Maybe more if I had them!) And that includes a grade! (Not sure but probably 1.5 or 2%)

If you wanted to use them together I see no reason why you shouldn

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much is Fifer hobby selling the NW-2's for? :?:
    " Its a whatle?!I think, a Diseaseal!" Bill and Ben, Thomas and Friends

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "CSXT"
    How much is Fifer hobby selling the NW-2's for? :?:
    Well, you go to his site and look! :wink:

http://www.fiferhobby.com/html/kato_...n_locomot.html

I did find them for a little less somewhere else but their shipping was more so Mike ended up being the least expensive overall!

(Never forget to add in those S&H costs).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently got an SW1200 that was swapped to a Kato NW2 chassis to make the conversion to dcc easier.

I haven't taken it off chassis yet, but does anyone have any idea how the shells of each loco line up as far as the fit on the chassis and how close the handrails, etc. are?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Director of Operations of the Kettle River Railway

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mill-Bay For This Useful Post: