Thread: Steam Locomotive Facilities

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re:Steam Locomotive Facilities

That is indeed a tough one. I used to live in Cheyenne, so I know first hand what you're dealing with.

You mentioned that you think you can save some space by tightening things up, and I agree. Anything you can do to save space is worth it.

I'd also look at moving the yard ladder a little to the right (starting it a little to that side would narrow the area up a little) and slightly reangling it so it doesn't fan out quite so much as this would help. Cheyenne has a LOT of wasted space nowadays. You could tighten things up a lot and not lose the "flavor" of the prototype at all.

Furthermore, you could drop a few of those yard tracks and it wouldn't seriously compromise the design and would still be easily recognizable as being Cheyenne.

Lastly, don't forsake modeling the large bridges (North Greeley Hiway) as they serve to break up the scene. The bridges in real life are quite impressive for downtown road bridges. I can't find a real good pic of them, sorry. Look around and I'm sure you can find a pic or two.

Other then that, I don't know. The roundhouse is already truncated and you want to keep the tracks behind it. Most of the roundhouse tracks are still either in use or you can see evidence of them. To top it off, it's just a big yard all around. To model it and do it justice, your model is going to have to be big.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marc

Rather than using a single roundhouse/turntable combination (RH/TT) with a large number of stalls fanning out for at least 180 degrees, try two RH/TTs with a smaller number of stalls fanning out for no more than 90 degrees. This keeps the overall width down. Place the RH/TTs in linear fashion with the RHs back-to-back thusly-- approach track1-TT1-RH1-RH2-TT2-approach track2.

Non-covered service tracks can lead off on each side of the approach track to add to the number of exit tracks without increasing the width of the installation.

Regards
    Mike S

Best regards, Mike, Tempe Arizona

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the response. I've knocked out about half of the yard tracks, and cut the mainline from 4 tracks to three. Still a ways to go. :shock:
    Quote Originally Posted by "pcarrell"
    Lastly, don't forsake modeling the large bridges (North Greeley Hiway) as they serve to break up the scene. The bridges in real life are quite impressive for downtown road bridges. I can't find a real good pic of them, sorry. Look around and I'm sure you can find a pic or two.
    I was fortunate to have the opportunity to photograph every square inch of Cheyenne yard back in 2005, and below are a couple of bridges in the area:

Central Ave (UP crew change):

Central Ave (from below):

Central Ave (from yard tower):

Norris Viaduct (east side):

Norris Viaduct (west side from below):

I'll have to dig around, but I believe I have a set of shots for Ames Ave (crow creek bridge) and the BNSF flyover.

BTW - you said you used to live in Cheyenne. Are you still anywhere near the area?
    Cheers!
    Marc

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "MikeS"
    Rather than using a single roundhouse/turntable combination (RH/TT) with a large number of stalls fanning out for at least 180 degrees, try two RH/TTs with a smaller number of stalls fanning out for no more than 90 degrees. This keeps the overall width down. Place the RH/TTs in linear fashion with the RHs back-to-back thusly-- approach track1-TT1-RH1-RH2-TT2-approach track2.
    Thanks for the input, Mike. I used a Google overhead to rotate and place various elements of the yard, and this appears to be a good way of seeing where things will fit (or not). I also knocked the number of stalls for the RH to five, and I'm thinking of allowing the steam shop tracks to use the area for the south radial tracks. I'll play around with your approach track idea (and those of the wasted space mentioned by pcarrell above), and see what I can come up with.
    Cheers!
    Marc

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but I'm near Indianapolis, Indiana now. I lived in Cheyenne in the early 80's for a while. Gets COLD there in the winter, and that wind is something else!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roundhouses take up a LOT of real estate and is the reason why so many layouts have them in corners.

If done properly, you may be able to locate yours in a corner. The TT and RH would be aligned with the tracks in front and back of the TT/RH. The radial tracks around the TT can extend back into the corner. The yard tracks can sweep around the RH facility.

Modeling actual locations is difficult when you have to selectively compress. There's always a trade-off!

Darrell, quiet...for now

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "dgwinup"
    If done properly, you may be able to locate yours in a corner.
    It does appear to fit better, and tweaking it a bit, I've narrowed things down to about 5'. With a small corner access hole, 30" is about maximum for relatively easy reach of the middle.

I believe I may have come to the end of the draw-on-paper aspect however, and might have to start modeling and fitting before starting the bench work. I could then place the diorama into the layout once all pros and cons are determined, and might even discover something I couldn't see in 2D.

If anyone else comes up with something, by all means post your comments. Thanks for the input. I'll keep tweaking.
    Cheers!
    Marc

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,976 Times in 944 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Steam Locomotive facilities

3D Trains

My few cents:

Is it feasible to use a mirror/s to give the Roundhouse size-effect you want?

John Allen was a master with these to give extra space in a given situation, and MR ran an article on their use a few years ago (though I'm not sure in which issue), with (I seem to recall) specific reference to their use in association with Roundhouses.

Just a thought

Komata
    "TVR - serving the Northern Taranaki . . ."
    Komata "TVR - serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Steam Locomotive facilities

Quote Originally Posted by "Komata"
    Unfortunately, no. The yard runs east/west - mainline and station on the north side, and yard and service tracks on the south. To the east is the diesel service and steam shop, and to the west is the west yard leads. Thanks anyway.
    Cheers!
    Marc

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the event someone else runs into this issue, the following link was sent to me via the Yahoo LDSIG:

http://www.ida.net/org/pmrhs/rndhouse.htm

Interesting their reducing the radial spacing to allow the stalls to be moved closer, thus saving overall real estate. This, plus the tips given above, should help in designing a proper "Cheyenne." Thanks everyone.
    Cheers!
    Marc

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Steam Locomotive facilities

Quote Originally Posted by "3DTrains"
    Quote Originally Posted by "Komata"
    Unfortunately, no. The yard runs east/west - mainline and station on the north side, and yard and service tracks on the south. To the east is the diesel service and steam shop, and to the west is the west yard leads. Thanks anyway.
    I thought of this as a possible solution too, but came up with this problem and also the problem of making it look right with the tracks that were to be behind it. I even thought of truncating the roundhouse, but truthfully, there isn't much left to truncate any more! The prototype did it for us!

The reduction of spacing between the stalls should help, but make sure you can get a mechanism that'll do it in practice or its a moot point. The redesign of the roundhouse isn't the problem here, it's the turntable. If you can program the TT tight enough you could even have some of the rails overlap and just use turnout frogs to make it work. This whole thing about tightening up the degrees of seperation is good, but it will make the turntable and roundhouse further apart on the layout as more distance will be needed to get enough room between the stalls. Perhaps it won't matter though as length of space isn't the problem really, it's width.

Don't mind my ramblings........