Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,900 Times in 817 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default FWIW

For what it's worth, I tried soldering wires to the Bachmann Northern chassis this past week-end and failed miserably. I'd go with the epoxy or AC. Sounds like an interesting, if not impressive, project is in the works!?!?!?
    Dick,

Usually, when all is said and done, there's a lot more said than done!

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default You're not going to be able

You're not going to be able to solder the frame... the best bet would be a plastic metal (Devcon for example), or a regular epoxy type glue.

Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A further thought... it may

A further thought... it may be easier to use a Decapod frame and adapt it, than add an axle.
    Bryan

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,372 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default You might want to try.......

.....J-B Weld. It is found in most auto parts stores and in the 'big box' hardware/lumber stores.In any case you must be prepared for failure. Bonding alloys like that found in loco chassis is very difficult at best, and at best you will not get a strong bond. That would be OK for a static display, but if you intend to run the loco.....be wary.Moose"Anyone that doesn't know what soap tastes like,
    or never had soap in their eyes,
    has never washed a dog."
    -Franklin P. Jones
    (The voices I hear in my head may not be real, but sometimes they come up with a good idea.)

Have fun.

Moose

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default J-B Weld

I used to use J-B Weld some years ago when I use to build cars so I may have some in the shed somewhere, thanks for reminding me. This is not really a project, more of an experiment brought on by lack of funds and a long felt desire for an enormous steam engine. Those large articulateds are sadly out of my reach so I thought I might tinker with the two scrap northerns in my bits box and see what happens.Thanks for the input,Roger.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Roger, I love your

Roger, I love your adventurous attitude [img]/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-wink.gif[/img]

This is the aspect of 'N' (any endeavour for that matter) that I really enjoy... make it work, from bits in the box.

Bryan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default adveturous attitude

Thanks for your vote of confidence Bryan, I`ve spent most of my modelling life as a Military modeller (30 years as a treadhead), and have had to create the unobtainable from bits and pieces on a regular basis. Unfortunately I contracted rivet counters disease, and after that I was never satisfied with anything I made, always thinking I should have done it better. After a brief detour into the world of the wargamer I learned to play with what I made and not worry too much about the accuracy of it. Then along came N scale railroading and a whole new world of challenges. I quickly discovered that a freelance line would let me run pretty much what I liked and my lack of prototype knowledge didnt really matter. I like doing things "badly", it lends the sort of freedom that a rivet counter never has, and I run or modify my railroad as I see fit.Regards to all, Roger and the Dry Gulch railroad.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Quote:A further thought...

A further thought... it may be easier to use a Decapod frame and adapt it, than add an axle.
    That will give smaller drivers. Depends what you want...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default In part, that would be the

In part, that would be the idea...

Having smaller drivers, means they are (can be) closer together... if you have large drivers and subsequently a very long ridged wheelbase, you will have issues with anything but the largest of radius curves and t/o's... one of the reasons for articulated locos.

Bryan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Decapod chassis

I do have a Minitrix BR9F that I bought when I was into the British scene but it looks too small when compared to U.S. locos, it`s the impressive length of the articulateds I was after. I might be able to afford a bachmann 2-6-6-2 if I buy from the U.S., but all I read is negative reports about it, anyone got one that actually works ok?Regards, Roger.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default About Extending Chassis ...

<p style="font: normal normal normal 15px/normal Helvetica; color: #400080; margin: 0px"><span style="font-size: 13px" class="Apple-style-span"> In an earlier post some one asked or was talking about extending chassis.<span style="color: #408000" class="Apple-style-span">I hear that WABTEC/MPI,Railpower and possibly other rebuilders attempt to stretch chassis and shells(carbodies)at great lengths constantly to create new types of locomotives.<span style="color: #008080" class="Apple-style-span">As for I myself would use a thin piece of styrene the thickness of the bottom plate of the existing locomotive. </span><span style="font-size: 15px; color: #0058af" class="Apple-style-span"> </span></span></span><p style="font: normal normal normal 14px/normal Helvetica; color: #0058af; margin: 0px">And oh by the way speaking of extending a chassis have you or anyone here see the <span style="color: #6204c1">MAY 1989 issue of Model Railroader pages 85-91,</span>these show a Baldwin built 2-10-10-2. <p style="font: normal normal normal 15px/normal Helvetica; color: #0058af; margin: 0px"> <p style="font: normal normal normal 15px/normal Helvetica; color: #400080; margin: 0px"><span style="color: #408000" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="font-size: 13px" class="Apple-style-span"> Tom</span> </span>