Thread: Kato f7/f3 traction

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kato f7/f3 traction

Here again--does anyone have any ideas/concerns about traction on the new Kato f7s/f3s? I'd love to hear your ideas. If you're having no problem it'd help to know that too. Or, if you have ideas how to add weight please lemme know. thanksCurt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ????

Hi Curt,I don't anticipate any problems, as I will be running my F7s as a prototypical A-B-B-A "set". At this point, it is the only F set I own (ATS&F to pull my Kato Super Chief). I am equipping them with the new MRC sound decoders (2 done so far). They sound great to me!Keep in mind that running multiple units as "one" was very common practice. They were replacing steam engines at their technological peaks, so multiple diesels had to run together to replace one steam engine from a power (and traction) standpoint. My main freight motive power on my layout will be steam (a Big Boy and a Challenger), with an A-B-A Precision Craft E set ( E7A-E7B-E8A) also. As you can see, I'm equipping my fleet with sound where I can. Switching and local duty will be handled by an RS and RSC unit (both Kato w/ digitrax...too small for sound[img]/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cry.gif[/img]). I have recently purchased the new Kato Daylight loco/train, but sent back the loco to Kato because of "strange sounds". It will be equipped with a sound decoder as soon as one is available. My fleet will be rounded out by the much-rumored Intermountain SP Cab Forward (with sound, of course[img]/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-laughing.gif[/img]).Hope this answers your question. As far as adding more weight,, not sure where you'd put it. I've had the bodies off for decoder installation and can tell you the frame and lightboard pretty much fill up the available "nooks and crannies". There is a small area around the headlight LED and below the back of the lightboard that you may be able to add some lead tape, but not much. I'm not convinced it would be enough to get any appreciable improvements.To be honest, for me, poor tractive effort is an operational feature. In fact, in places on my soon-to-be-in-construction layout there will be 4 degree grades, requiring doubling or helpers.Kerry

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default F3 Kato

I just purchased the Kato F3 A & B unit (SP). The F3 A will only pull 10 or so cars before lossing traction no grade. I do not the decoder for the B unit and have not run them AB as of yet.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I am having traction issues too!

I just got my Kato F3. Installed the MRC sound decoder. Having traction issues just on testing. No load at all will loose traction. Also derails quite easily. Not happy.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default F3 Kato units

I can't quite understand why some of you are having so much trouble with your Kato F3's. These are probably the most reliable F units out there in N-scale. I would wonder about the track work and maybe too much oil on the rails because of some over enthusiastic use of oil on the loco. I use an A-A set of them and have never had them derail or slip, unless of course I had too much load. So Kerry, tell me, how good does the MRC sound decoder make your F units sound? I thought about installing sound in one and using a standard (no sound) in the other. Does that sound unit make enough music for two running together? Jacko

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I too wonder how you like

Kerry,I too wonder how you like the MRC1648. I installed a 1636 in an Atlas GP-40 and after tinkering a bit I'm relatively but not overly happy with it's performance. The ad on the back of the new issue of MR says that you can read back all CV's on the1648. Just a few questions: 1 How does it perform. 2. Was any frame milling required. 3 Ease of installation. 4. Sound quality.Thanks
    John Cressaty

Markleeville, CA