Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alco PA-1s have got to be the most beautiful locomotives ever built...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default It's amazing what Google

It's amazing what Google can do for you if you just give it a try...Alco PA & PB roster

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thanks for that link! So

Thanks for that link! So they only bought 8 then. I wonder why Kato doesn't make a set in UP colors? Are there other brands that are of equal quality to kato that might?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Couldn't tell you.

Couldn't tell you. Railroading in the 1950s holds absolutely zero interest for me so I don't follow what's made for it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PA'a most beautiful locos???????

For diesels I would agree with that statement. Over all I would have to say some of the most beautiful locomotives were with out a doubt STEAM. N&W J class 4-8-4's SP GS class 4-8-4's and MY favorite were the SP Skyline cased MT class 4-8-2's. Even to the end of steam when they were on commuter trains, they looked like a lady all dressed in her finest black dress. I am so glad I was around as a kid in the late steam era. Very happy memories for me.Jacko

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 888 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Alco PA-1s have got to be the most beautiful locomotives ever bu

b7gwapYou may not have realised it, but you have opened a real can of worms by your statement![LOL]Every one of our N.scale.net members will have their own 'most beautiful locomotives ever' list, and while ALCo's PA-1's may be on some lists, they certainly won't be on every-one's - especially of those who live outside the USA.Sadly, beauty is in this case a very subjective thing, and personally, PA-1's don't do much for me.A Taltal Railway Kitson-Meyer, Wellington Manawatu Railway's No.17, or even an East African Railways 59-Class 'Garratt - they could be considered beautiful, but a PA? Not really. Interesting - but not beautiful. An NZR Df 2-CO-CO-2 is far more interesting! As I said, it's totally subjective, but thanks for sharing anyway.(And I'll now duck and step back 4 paces to avoid all the brickbats which irate PA-1 enthusiasts are sure to be throwing at me)Komata"TVR - serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "
    Komata "TVR - serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Getting back to Alco

Getting back to Alco locomotives, there is an article in the November 1966 issue of Trains magazine that lists all the original owners of the PAs and how they utilized their units. Pretty good read for fans of the model.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default One more time!

For contemparary diesels, I find the SD-70 Macs in the BNSF "Executive" paint scheme to be quite fetching! I may need to have a pair of those so I can operate them on a club layout somewhere.Jacko

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default For looks the PA-1's are

For looks the PA-1's are really nice, and shark-nose, though my favorite is the FA-2 for diesel. What's an electronic brickbat look like anyhow?
    Charles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Most beautiful locomotive

To me, the most beautiful locomotives built were the Pennsylvania Class M1a 4-8-2 Mountains built with the long haul tender and passenger striping in 1930. They were both graceful and massive.To me, no Diseasel is beautiful, less than ugly, maybe, but beautiful, never!!  

Put the MODELING back in model railroading.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kato did make them I have

Kato did make them I have an A & B set in UP colors that i bought on Ebay

Sometime your the hammer, Sometime your the nail

Troy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default haha yes, gents, certainly

haha yes, gents, certainly a subjective statement. And I should clarify, I find PA-1s to be the most graceful DIESELS I've yet seen, there are some gorgeous steam locos out there, I just don't know enough about them to state any model or manufacturer names. To be honest I don't really know much about diesels either. I knew about EMD F models as a kid, and my little brother had an FA-1 in BN colors that I always liked better than the EMD F units. I didn't know what it was though. Now I do, and I like them a great deal. Thanks for all the input, I'll look for some UP units.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Quick question, how do you

Quick question, how do you guys feel about ProtoN stuff from LifeLike?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I think intermountain does

I think intermountain does an F series in UP. I'm thinkni of pickin up their CN scheme ones ASAP, so you might wanna check them out.
    Luke

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default did a little searching,

did a little searching, can't seem to see anything but EMD offerings from IM. Nice looking specimens though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default edit: :) noticed that

edit: noticed that Wired said F units. Yup, they definitely make those in spades and at high quality. I was looking for PA-1/PB-1 sets though. It seems the Proto N from Lifelike is a high quality loco, with the only downfall being the lack of DCC upgradability. Any evidence to the contrary here? Most of my research was done on that wonderful database I just discovered, the N scale loco Encyclopaedia. Someone did a LOT of work there. And so since most people seem to think that DC is the way of the past, I'd almost rather get an un dec Kato set and try to paint it myself. I'm pretty sure that would turn out horribly. so maybe I should find some old bachmann F3 shells to practice on. <span style="color: #999999">[Mod note] You have an Edit button below your post so you can make post edits, rather than making a new post</span>.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Diesels, most beautiful................

b7gwap, I need to bring one little detail to your attention. In your original post you mentioned you liked the PA's in "Morning Daylight colors". There was no "morning daylight colors" it was just Daylight. The first Daylight launched in 1937 was just the Coast Daylight. When SP had aquired more streamlined 4-8-4's and more equipment then the NOON DAYLIGHT was able to be launched. The first train then became the Morning Daylight. By the end of WW II there were enough Daylight painted GS's to even roll # 72 "THE COASTER" (night mail train) along.By the by, it seems KAto is going to have PA's late this year, and yes some will be in the Daylight flavor. I'm sure these new ones will be DCC ready, and yes I will want a pair.Jacko

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cool, I had no idea. I

Cool, I had no idea. I love the history involved in model RRing almost as much as the actual physical operations. Thanks for that. And those GS4s Kato has are positively gorgeous. I wish that UP had had some, so I could have one lurking on my proposed early 1950's UP route. From what I've discovered, EMD really had the market cornered with their E and F units in that time and place. I think I want the PAs because it wouldn't have been IMPOSSIBLE to see one, and I think they have more graceful lines than the Es and Fs even though eventually I'll have to be getting a couple of sets of them. But none compares to that daylight GS. Must have been quite a sight to see one of those barreling along at full steam back in the day.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Daylight, PA's and such

It's kind of interesting that the "Shasta Daylight", that ran between Oakland Calif. and Portland Oregon, was never meant to be steam powered. Number 9/10 (launched in July of 1949) was initially setup to run with E-7's painted in Daylight. In actual usage the E units tended at times to burn out their traction motors pulling the gades in the Cascade Mtns. So the PA's entered the picture and they were very capable in the mountains. I have very fond memories of taking the SHASTA from Oakland to Portland then back on vactions as a Kid. When we would roll through Klamath Falls Oregon there was still lots of steam 1952-55 time frame, and my face was pressed up against the glass to see the roundhouse full of steam power. Evidently SP liked the PA's seeing as how they bought a slug of'em! It was not uncommon to see PA's in Daylight colors pulling the City of San Francisco, in 1950 with a 4-8-2 helper on the point. SP didn't seem to be bashful about using them anywhere. The PA's are quite stylish.Jacko

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default fantastic to have experienced

Apparently SP shared my taste in diesel locos at that time. shame I've got a UP layout in mind. I know I used to see SP freight units (even before Uncle Pete bought em out) around Utah when I was a kid (in the 1980s - I know! ) but did SP ever run any daylight trains through the beehive state that you know of? Especially with their slew of sharp looking PA/PBs?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Daylights in Utah?

Some of the PA's may have run thru to Ogden on the "City of San Francisco". There were no Daylight trains for the Salt Lake division. The "City" was jointly owned by the SP/UP/C&NW, and they had units painted mostly in the UP colors with the three heralds of the 3 roads on them. Since the "City" and the "Overland" were already in service it was probably a moot point to have a Daylight for the Salt Lake Division. Now the "Overland" may have picked up a Cab Forward in Sparks Nevada (western end of the Salt Lake Div, and start of the Sacramento div.) for road power on the head end. This could have happened as late as 1953 since the Korean War was on.Jacko