Thread: Centering body mount couplers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Centering body mount couplers

Anyone have any tips/techniques/advice on exactly centering bodymount couplers on the car body when installing?

Any jigs available to mark centerlines?

thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,369 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can use a pair of dividers* to mark the center of the body with a small scratch.

*Dividers are like a compass for drawing circles and arcs, but have two points instead of a point and pencil.
    (The voices I hear in my head may not be real, but sometimes they come up with a good idea.)

Have fun.

Moose

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dividers I have, but how do they find center? measure and /2 I guess. Probably the easiest at this point.

I was thinking something more automated like two straight edges linked together to form a hinged parallelogram. The hinge bars if drilled on center would automatically find the center when camped to an object of any width.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davejt View Post
    .......I was thinking something more automated like two straight edges linked together to form a hinged parallelogram. The hinge bars if drilled on center would automatically find the center when camped to an object of any width.
    Basically that is a description of dividers.

To find the center of the car body with dividers:

Place point A at a convenient place at the side of the body. There should be a corresponding place on the other side of the body.

Place point B at the approximate center of the of the body where the coupler pocket goes and mark the body.

Keeping the dividers open to the same approximate measurement gained in the preceding step, and place point A on the opposite side of the body in the corresponding location.

Place point B next to the first mark where the coupler pocket will go, and make another mark. If there is any difference in the locations of the two marks it will be small. The exact center of the body is half way between the two marks
    (The voices I hear in my head may not be real, but sometimes they come up with a good idea.)

Have fun.

Moose

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davejt View Post
    I was thinking something more automated like two straight edges linked together to form a hinged parallelogram. The hinge bars if drilled on center would automatically find the center when camped to an object of any width.
    That is a general description of a pair of dividers.

How to find the center of a car body with a pair of dividers:

1. Find two locations on the bottom of the body near the sides, that are each at the same distance from each side.

2. Place one point of the dividers at the first location.

3. Place the other point of the dividers close to the center of the car body where the coupler pocket will be located. Make a mark on the car body with the point of the dividers. Do not close the dividers. Keep this approximateed measurement.

4. Place one point of the dividers on the correspondimg location on the other side of the car body.

5. Place the other point next to the first mark and make another mark.

The two marks should be fairly close to each other. The exact center of the car body is half way between the marks. If the marks are not close enough, make a second set that are closer to each other.

With a little practice you will be able to place the marks so close to each other you will not need a second set of marks.

Have fun.

Moose