Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 472 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 4'X8' Layout Track Plan

I've been having inage issues that will be resolved with the new release. So I hope all member can see this image from Photobucket . If you can't please let me know. If you can I would like your comments and suggestions

This is an Industrial layout. All cities/towns will be off site on backdrops. There will be two stations that I will run two passenger trains to. But it will be a two track main line and heavyly industrial RR. Some scenery for view blocks and different levels. Lots of steam and desiels running various freight trains.

See ya
    Ron
    Last edited by BryanC (RIP); 12th Mar 2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Thread moved to Layout Design forum.
    "Men go and come,
    but earth abides." Ecclesiastes 1:4

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 69Z28 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,927 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hey Ron, you got a whole lot packed into 4X8! I know b/c my layout is 52X102 inches and I don't have as much going on as you do. My only suggestion might be to add an interchange somewhere but I'm not sure where that would be. With the interchange you can have a connection with an outside RR and get more rolling stock, trains like an overnight passenger, etc. Just a thought not a criticism,
    Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,870 Times in 5,375 Posts
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, that looks like a lot of operations fun!! Can I bring my trains over and play when you've got it built??

Only two things, offered as thinking points, not criticisms...

1) Have you considered reach to the center of the layout?

2) Have you left enough space between spurs/stubs to fit your buildings, streets, parking, etc.?
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that there's a lot of track. What's your minimum curvature? I hope you can fit everything in.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
    1) Have you considered reach to the center of the layout?
    It's 4x8, which means it follows the 2' rule. He should be fine.

General area of central Alabama, Birmingham
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
    It will be on wheels so I'll be able to move it to get to all sides. Minimum curvature is 9.34 in the yards and spurs. All Mainline trackage will be 19" or 11."

I'll also be using Kato double crossovers and elevated curves. I don't know how to do elevation with Atlas RTS but their will some.

I hope there will room between spurs for the industries but if not I'll have to make adjustments.

All comments, suggestions are welcome.

See ya
    Ron
    "Men go and come,

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to add more spurs. There's simply not enough switching on that layout.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    You need to add more spurs. There's simply not enough switching on that layout.
    I think Gen has a point here. I bet you could if you tried but those turnouts tend to add up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by 69Z28 View Post
    Minimum curvature is 9.34 in the yards and spurs. All Mainline trackage will be 19" or 11.
    Hmm, might be a bit tough, as passenger cars tend to be rather long. General rule of thumb is that anything can make it around a 12"; though if you don't have any long locos (eg passenger steamers ), you should be fine. You also have to watch out for how close the tracks are cars that stick out on sharp curves might hit a train going the opposite direction.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 487 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Yard design

Tightly packed design. Lots of possiblities.

One comment I have is that your yard lead seems to be a tad too short. Also, the switchers are 3 moves away from the yard. May not be the greatest place to park your switchers. Also the RIP track is too far off. Perhaps switching the places of the pink part of the yard (RIP, switchers etc) with the coal mine might be more practical. That way all yard related spurs are off the same dark green lead. You can do a switchback move for the coal mine, or connect it to the blue line at the lower right.
    Last edited by ssoysal; 12th Mar 2010 at 06:58 PM.
    Serdar

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,822 Times in 1,629 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man! That is freekin' amazing! Excellent work!
    - - There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I like to use that line as a jump rope. ... (unknown)

Come visit my Layout Build Thread - http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...l-Build-Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that is one packed layout. It reminds me of my first n scale layout.
    Doug S.

Proudly Serving In The US Army

Thanks
    Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That bowl of spaghetti needs some meatballs!

(Don't mean to rag on your design, but there's very little room for structures/scenery...unless you're in the middle of a railroad yard, the real world isn't trains and track in every direction! Make room for some space for hills, valleys, structures, etc.)

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

General area of central Alabama, Birmingham
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions, they were a big help to me.

I've changed the theme of the layout to an N Scale Industrial layout.

There are two stations for small passenger trains on both the red and blue main lines. The roads from the stations will lead off-layout to backdrops of cities and towns. On the left is a 2.5% grade passing over a creek leading to a bluff, the right top corner will be a mountain with two curved trestles bridges over a lake and log pond, by the coal spur will be another small mountain,

This will be a DCC controlled layout. So I will run at least two trains on the blue and red mainlines, The Pelham Branch will be operated with one to two switchers, The Alabaster Branch will operate with one switcher as well as the coal spur. The small yard will be a visible staging yard. The Locomotive Service yard will have three exits. There will also be lots of scenery and some view blocks.

I don't know how to use RTS for elevations or flex track so I had to use sectional track for the plan. It will be built using Atlas and Peco flex track, Kato double cross over and elevated curve track, Atlas and Peco Turnouts, Bridges and more bridges. Kato double cross-overs and elevated curves will also be used.

I already have all and I do mean all of the components including,turnout controls, Lenz 100 DCC, and all the kits for every industry, so only minor inexpensive items may need to be purchased.

Now the big question is will all this fit!!!

Remember this is just a Track Plan and when construction begins there (Most likely will be) adjustments and or changes required. You have to have a starting point and this track plan is mine.

See ya
    Ron

"Men go and come,

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by epumph View Post
    Hey Ron, you got a whole lot packed into 4X8! I know b/c my layout is 52X102 inches and I don't have as much going on as you do. My only suggestion might be to add an interchange somewhere but I'm not sure where that would be. With the interchange you can have a connection with an outside RR and get more rolling stock, trains like an overnight passenger, etc. Just a thought not a criticism,
    I have to agree. My layout is 12' X 17', and I don't have half the activity on my layout. I do have a large railyard, and a lot of moutains.
    ~ Bill

Come and visit my N Scale Facebook group, N Scale Model Trains. Over 4500 members can't be wrong.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/332442330448/

"The lone wolf gets its strength from the wolf-pack, and the wolf-pack gets its strength from the lone wolf."

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a lot of work in this design! especially if you're going to run passenger trains, it may be a little busy...passenger trains usually went longer distances and thus would go through some country. don't forget that realism in a layout is also the structures. just make sure to leave some room for structures such as a signal tower, possibly multiple stations, a mini city, roads, parking lots, maybe even construction sites, storage for lumber in your lumber yard, etc. there is a lot to take into account and a lot of really cool buildings out there, make sure you look at all those first before deciding on a final design. it looks really cool to switch around on there though

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

darn, I wish I could see it. Any chance I could get the picture or Atlas RTS layout file emailed to me? Or the picture posted to an album here will work too. Photobucket is blocked for me

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is that Ron has determined he just doesn't have enough room for this 4 x 8. I believe he is working on a new plan that is about 7 x 3. He may even have a thread here some where - this one is getting a little old now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BryanC View Post
    My understanding is that Ron has determined he just doesn't have enough room for this 4 x 8. I believe he is working on a new plan that is about 7 x 3. He may even have a thread here some where - this one is getting a little old now.
    This is the thread I was thinking of!