0 Thread(s)

Clean up.......Hmmmmm.

Alcohol?

Goo Gone?

Paper towel?

Cloth rag?

Soap and water?

Windex?

Any or all the above, judiciously applied.
    (The voices I hear in my head may not be real, but sometimes they come up with a good idea.)

Have fun.

Moose

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,195 Times in 859 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All wonderful suggestions but I wouldn't think I would want to put most of those items in or around the exposed gears now would I?

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

Ron

For now, innocent bystander and occasional commentator

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,369 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what "judiciously applied" means. LOL
    (The voices I hear in my head may not be real, but sometimes they come up with a good idea.)

Have fun.

Moose

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I applied mine with an end grain piece of 2x2 wood. First I sanded the end grain on the belt sander and smeared some No-Ox on it and wiped it over the track. Gave a nice thin coating. I wiped the next day with coffee filters till it was clean. So far so good, but it doesn;t seem much different from other cleaned rails yet. Time will tell.

Just got the DeOxIt pen yesterday. I am already disappointed and have not even tried the product yet. It looks like a "paint pen" with a spring loaded felt tip. I assume you push it down and then the flow of the chemicals would start. Held it down for over 30 seconds and the tip did not get wet at all. The tip is very loose in the barrel and I pulled it out (no effort at all) and can see that only about 1/3 of the felt is moist with chemical. Wonder if I got a dried up pen. Already wrote to the seller to see what is up.
    Sean McC

"No man is a failure ...

who has friends." -- Clarence

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MooseID View Post
    That's what "judiciously applied" means. LOL

Please use that in a sentence?? (ducking)

Ron

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,369 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by REM37411 View Post
    Please use that in a sentence?? (ducking)
    Her makeup was carefully planned and judiciously applied to make her look just like a circus clown.

Have fun.

Moose

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MooseID For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanm View Post
    Just got the DeOxIt pen yesterday. I am already disappointed and have not even tried the product yet. It looks like a "paint pen" with a spring loaded felt tip. I assume you push it down and then the flow of the chemicals would start. Held it down for over 30 seconds and the tip did not get wet at all. The tip is very loose in the barrel and I pulled it out (no effort at all) and can see that only about 1/3 of the felt is moist with chemical. Wonder if I got a dried up pen. Already wrote to the seller to see what is up.
    Got an email from the seller. He said the loose tip and slow flow are by design. They want very Little flow from the chemicals and that I should get the flow started and then flip the tip over. I have now done this and treated one of my yard leads. We shall see!
    Sean McC

"No man is a failure ...

who has friends." -- Clarence

9. The Following User Says Thank You to seanm For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am awaiting 9 AM in the morning so I can wipe my rails and try my locos again! I am excited to see what is going to happen as they were already running much better before I finished running all of them!

Ron

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O.K., I'm always looking for ways to improve electrical connections and also do less work. But I get suspicious of any product that claims to 'penetrate the metal'. Maybe bond with it to create an upper layer of some type that is resistant to oxidation or corrosion, but I took enough chemistry courses over the years to leave me with a lot of doubt about anything that claims to penetrate metal. I'm interested in a better explanation of how it works. Not that I'm doubting it is successful in what it does; I've been using another electrical conductivity product called Stabilant for years on the electrical components of my cars to help prevent corrosion and increase conductivity; I'd just like to know how it works.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to update yesterday! I cleaned my rails as described once again and ran some locomotives. As suspected, in certain spots, there was minor slippage. I wiped more and ran more. What I am finding is the longer I go the better it gets. I have one area that needs re application because I think I accidentally brite boy'd it but so far so good! And like Sean said up top, Time will tell, but so far I am very impressed, all of my atlas locomotives that had connectivity issues are now rolling around like champs. I can only imagine it getting better as it "sets" into the rails so to speak.

Ron

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this stuff works better than denatured alchoal? Jay

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spam1234 View Post
    this stuff works better than denatured alchoal? Jay
    So far, absolutely! Denatured alcohol will definitely clean the rails but the NO OX provides a long term solution to cleaning the rails. If you haven't already, go back and read page one of this thread. 5 years without a track cleaning is a pretty good outcome.

Ron

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not trying to convince anyone that this stuff is the beat all end all. But I want you to watch these short videos. This particular locomotive was one of my skippers. It ran poorly and would stop frequently. I can BARELY move the throttle lever now and it will start rolling. Slow engine operation, to me, is an indication of a clean track. I have done nothing to the engine in the way of cleaning. All I have done is treat my tracks and the wheels of all my locomotives.

[YOUTUBE]d-jgdwPpM7k[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8ECMcGNH8bs[/YOUTUBE]

Ron

16. The Following User Says Thank You to REM37411 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 468 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more information directly from Sanchem's chief chemist:
    "No-Ox is NOT an oxidant. NO-OX-ID penetrates into the metal surface of the rail."

How far down into the metal surface it penetrates, he did not say. My suspicion is that it is only a few microns, but obviously that is far enough, judging by the excellent results that it produces.

I'm sorry I haven't responded sooner but I was waiting for a reply from Caig labs on DEOXIT. Their response wasn't very specific, other than to research their website.

Everything I've seen on DEOXIT is good, and I have seen no complaints. I suspect that their liquid (deoxit gold) as mentioned by Sean, produces the same results as No-Ox, but unfortunately, I have no more track to experiment with, so I can't speak for it as I've never tried it. Hopefully others can give some testimonials on DEOXIT and its use on track. I don't know if there is a thread on DEOXIT, but testimonials may be better in a different thread than this one.
    Charter member of CAMRRA.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A follow up note on my application of no ox. I am finding that careful application is a critical step. I am hitting pockets of the no ox in turnouts, it is doing two things, first, it is gumming up the turnout and not allowing free operation. Second it is re-covering the wheels on the locomotive and causing much slippage. I THOUGHT I had applied light coatings but I find that apparently when I rubbed my fingers across my tournouts, little deposits were formed between the throw rails and the outer rails. As far as operation goes, everything is working wonderful and most of my locomotives are experiencing skip free operation. After two weeks, I am impressed.

Ron

19. The Following User Says Thank You to REM37411 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the NO-OX tutorial. I've taken my train out of storage after 25 years and was wondering how to start with a track cleaning. This is perfect!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so it has been almost two months now and I have to say, ALL of my locomotives are still running perfect and there has been NO track cleaning. One thing I have noted though, is that I still wipe my rails from time to time and I still get the black residue off of them. I know I put it on thick but not THAT thick. I think locomotives are picking up bits and pieces here and there and recoating the track as I am sure some rolling stock does as well. I do still find tiny deposits here and there in turnouts or between gapped rails. I am experiencing NO slipping and all locomotives are running great. Overall I have to rate this experience VERY positive!

Ron

22. The Following User Says Thank You to REM37411 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by REM37411 View Post
    Ok, so it has been almost two months now and I have to say, ALL of my locomotives are still running perfect and there has been NO track cleaning. One thing I have noted though, is that I still wipe my rails from time to time and I still get the black residue off of them. I know I put it on thick but not THAT thick. I think locomotives are picking up bits and pieces here and there and recoating the track as I am sure some rolling stock does as well. I do still find tiny deposits here and there in turnouts or between gapped rails. I am experiencing NO slipping and all locomotives are running great. Overall I have to rate this experience VERY positive!
    Be mindfull that the black residue is OK and it conducts electricity. Also you do need to either wipe the rails from time to time or vacuum as no-ox does not protect against dust and debri.

I am in my aproximately 23rd month and only wipe or vacuum. The FreemoN club also uses it with success.
    John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those that No-Ox and gleaming work for, I am happy for you.
    My results with No-Ox are less then great. After using it, any little amount on any wheel would find any loose stuff and stick it to the wheel causing derails. I had almost got that cleared up. Then after just a few days I had to start cleaning the track again with the alcohol just as I had been doing before.

So I tried the No-Ox again.
    The track would still get black goop that would stop the engines. This is after I had even gleamed the rail a while back. That turned out to be pretty much of a wasted effort also.

Since my layout is not in a totally enclosed climate controlled room I have bought some of the Aztec track cleaning cars. Much faster and easier then hand cleaning and with out knocking over scenery items. So I am now happy that I can do some operations when I want. And no I do not have any connection to Aztec.
    Ken Price
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/s...ice/?start=all

It's around 1996-1999. UP, MP, SP. South Valley Railroad. Some where in the west of Texas. Near San Angelo.
    Started in 2007, Super Empire Builder with radio throttles.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 468 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ken...if you got black goop on your cars and loco wheels you put WAY WAY WAY too much on. The key is an almost microscopic coating...and then 24 hours later you wipe the excess off before running trains. I also have an aztec car, but I don't need to use it anymore.
    Charter member of CAMRRA.