Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's yoru favorite real-world railroad of all time, and why?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent my childhood in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada and my grandfather was a machinist for the CNR back in the steam era. And, Although I have since moved to California, the CNR is still my all time favorite railroad. Moncton was a main service facility for the CN back in those days (early '40s). I remember my father taking me for walks on Sunday sfternoons in the CNR shop area and roundhouse. I assume my grandfather got us permission to do so. I fell in love with steam engines during these walks. Sounds dangerous now, but I don't remember a lot of action in the shop area on Sundays back then.

Tom Mann
    "Model Railroading IS fun... Once you've figured out what you're doing*
    Tom Mann from CA

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely B&O for me then C&O and Chessie.
    My grandfather retired from "the" B&O and as a child he would take me to the round house. I got to ride around on a switcher and sometimes a steamer. I got to explore a caboose and see what the world looked like from the copula, I recall they smelled funny.
    The place was a sensory overload, the feel of cinders crunching under foot, the smell of coal smoke and heavy lube, the sound of steamers chuffing, steam escaping, bells and whistles and the rumble of diesels.

Yes, I love the B&O from the 50's.
    My favorite computer game is "Stump The Spellchecker"...
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/images/Flags/USA/Ohio.png

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta go with the Milwaukee Road...the longest transcontinental line in the US, the only transcontinental ELECTRIC line (even though it wasn't ALL electric), they built most of their own frieght and passenger cars for a big portion of their history.................and I grew up just a few blocks from what at one time was the second largest shop in the Milwaukee system. And now I live in Montana, and there's still a lot of Milwaukee Road history out here as well.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 571 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting responses. Keep 'em comin'!

C

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,369 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never a doubt in my mind........

The joint venture of the Union Pacific and Southern Pacific.....

The first transcontenental railroad!!
    (The voices I hear in my head may not be real, but sometimes they come up with a good idea.)

Have fun.

Moose

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Santa Fe!

When I was quite young (and living in London) my parents gave me (for my birthday or Christmas – I can’t remember) a picture book of trains!

On the cover was a three quarter view of an onrushing Santa Fe F3 or F7 in its entire red, yellow and silver war bonnet splendor! The vision of that picture has never left my mind!

As an aside, it was quite a few years before I realized the ATSF and the Santa Fe were one and the same!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 870 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mmmm

Gentlemen,

A check using the site's 'search' function has revealed the existence of a thread titled 'favorite railroads', that was started by 'Thomas Locomotive' on 1 August 2008, although it was not as specific as the current 'favourite railroad of all time' thread.

As it does however make for interesting reading, you may care to check it out. . . .
    Komata "TVR - serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Komata View Post
    Mmmm

Gentlemen,

A check using the site's 'search' function has revealed the existence of a thread titled 'favorite railroads', that was started by 'Thomas Locomotive' on 1 August 2008, although it was not as specific as the current 'favourite railroad of all time' thread.

As it does however make for interesting reading, you may care to check it out. . . .
    Sorry Keith but I cannot find that thread! Any chance you can provide a link? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually did a search for 'favorite railroads' (or something like it) before posting this and couldn't find anything.

On the other hand, I'd have been reluctant to necro a post from 2008 at this point.

C

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find local history and the affect that the people here had on both the state and the westward migration fascinating because some of them were my ancestors.
    I actually have 5th new favorite- the Lancaster, Oxford & Southern. This was the only narrow gauge common carrier railroad on the eastern side of PA. I found a book on it that has much more information than Wiki. It was a granger road really because it only actually reached one city of any size, Oxford. This railroad survived because of the farmers and a local tradition that was called 'Rigby' a day when African Americans traveled to farm on the line.
    Freelance Rivet Counter
    Modeling the Lancaster & Reading Railroad

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,070 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Reading, since I was born and raised in Reading, PA and spent many days watching the activity at the yards and shops there.
    The Reading and Northern, since my parents lived less than a mile from the Temple, PA station at the time RBMN was getting started as a tourist road with the T-1. My Schuylkill Valley RR is based on the RBMN.
    And, of course, the Strasburg Railroad which I have been on many times.
    Jim

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” — Thomas Henry Huxley

My Flickr photo stream ...https://www.flickr.com/photos/142423340@N03/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 870 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BryanC and C It's very strange. . I have just typed in 'favorite railroads' in the 'Search' box at the top of this page and scrolled down . 'Favorite railroads' is on page one, about three-quarters down the page. Not sure why it can't be found by others. As you requested I have tried to provide a link, but (oddly) without success. As i said at the beginning, very strange.
    Komata "TVR - serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine Has got got to be the DT&I, Gotta love the rainbow trains they could put together, Orange diesels, red, 2 different blues, yellow, 3 different greens, and least we forget, the purple (supposedly magenta, but really was purple) 86' cars.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BryanC and C It's very strange. . I have just typed in 'favorite railroads' in the 'Search' box at the top of this page and scrolled down . 'Favorite railroads' is on page one, about three-quarters down the page. Not sure why it can't be found by others. As you requested I have tried to provide a link, but (oddly) without success. As i said at the beginning, very strange.
    Well, I used the "advanced search" feature so that is one possibility. I assumed it would provide better results but maybe not. Maybe it searches for through much that it can't find the simple stuff.

C

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chessack View Post
    Well, I used the "advanced search" feature so that is one possibility. I assumed it would provide better results but maybe not. Maybe it searches for through much that it can't find the simple stuff.

C
    OK, mystery solved! When I searched yesterday I used both Standard and Advanced Search with similar results but I put quotes around "favorite railroads". This morning I tried again but this time without the quotes and I received what Keith is describing!

Here is the link: http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...rite+railroads

Probably because of time zone differences I show it as being started on July 31st 2008. The 38th and last post was made on September 22nd (Eastern Time). remember this an old thread (pre-current site) as a result any embedded HTML will not be resolved and may make for some pretty ugly looking posts!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BryanC (RIP) For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't remember now if I used quotes or not, but I wonder why it wouldn't show up with quotes, since the title is literally "Favorite railroads". Most search engines would happily detect that.

At any rate, since, as you say, the latest post there was Sept. of 2008, I'd have been very hesitant to necro a 2 year old thread. I might, however, have decided that the topic had already been canvassed enough not to merit another version of it.

I'll try to search for more permutations next time I come up with a question like this.

C

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I just learned something else about the Search feature! Using single and double quotes produced different results:

favorite railroad - 4 pages of results using keywords of favorite, railroad
    'favorite railroad' - 25 pages of results using keywords of 'favorite, railroad'
    "favorite railroad" - 1 pages of results (13 items) using keywords of "favorite railroad"

So the double quotes seem to be the only way to search for a multi-word string. I am not sure what the single quotes do!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BryanC (RIP) For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite has to be the U.P. because you have to admit that the yellow and gray have been around a long time and survived economic ups and downs and also because as a kid I got an Atlas U.P. train set. But latter when i got back into the hobby in 2007 I started to like the C&O/B&O, Chessie and CSX and I wanted to model a short line also around 1970 to 1980 to complete my era and discovered the GM&O. So I mostly run anything from 1950 to present and all the rail roads described above have a key factor in my operations on my layout.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite is the old Colorado Midland, one of the many small railroads criss-crossing the region back in the gold rush days...my "modern" favorite is Denver & Rio Grande Western....I suppose I'm a relatively young model railroader (32 y/o) (without a layout yet!) but I enjoy hearing my parents talk about the train trips they took on the Rio Grande Zephyr.
    ...experience is what you get when you don't get what you want...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burlington Northern. Growing up here in eastern Washington state, they were THE railroad. It was hard to go anywhere and not see a BN train. I especially remember all of the branch lines they once ran and the assortment of first generation power including F-units that ran those branches.

Eric