Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Costruction is under way on the GNRR Pitch Fork Pass!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,451 Posts
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    You can also, if you perfer, you can reprogram CV29 so that it runs opposite.
    Oh, yeah, much easier than resoldering wires. CV29's total value for various functions is actually pretty straightforward to dial in, with just a wee bit (no pun intended) of study.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    Matt,
    Been there done that with the Cn and CN/GP boards.
    Not sure why, but several years ago I went through and got several of my RS-3's and my RS-1 converted using the CN's, same trouble here.
    At first i thought I revered the Orange and gray wires cause the first one ran backwards. So the second time I watched closely and knew I had the wires connected properly, but it too ran backwards.

So what I did was to swap the Orange and Gray wires on the motor tabs. Worked perfectly.
    You can also, if you perfer, you can reprogram CV29 so that it runs opposite.

Here is one CV29 calculator that's I've used which works pretty good.

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm
    I read one post on a DCC forum where you can change the CV's 38 and 39? I think?, to swap the NDOT of the lights, but I'll have to wait a week to try that.
    I swapped the orange and the gray on the decoder board solder points, which I'm sure would have worked, had I not already baked the decoder. TCS needs to correct that issue, or put out a separate instruction sheet to tell uysers how to correct that. I wonder how many they've had to warranty because of this single issue?

Thanks for the link!!

Matt

**Allen, I just recalled something about the install I noticed and found really odd. On the "front" sides of the chassis, my "L" and "R" markings are one the wrong sides unless you're running it as a long nose. I wonder if yours are the same. My were made in 1999.
    Last edited by GNMatz; 5th Dec 2018 at 01:13 AM.

GNR Pitch Fork Pass

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GNMatz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introducing the latest addition to my locomotive herd! This is an early edition (almost impossible to find/rare) GNR EMD FT A/B set by Intermountain Railway Co., connected with a draw bar to run as a consist. EMD FT-A/B units were intended by EMD mainly for passenger service. Many Class I RR's used them only for passenger service, but the GNR used them for both Passenger and Freight. The FT-A 424A was placed in their freight roster. Finally got the decoders in today and installed them. I used a TCS IMFTA4 and a IMFTB4. This run of FT's by IM didn't have brush shoes on the light board like almost all IM F series, these instead have wires directly from the motor soldered to the board. So to use them, you have to de-solder the brush pins, and solder directly to the decoder. FYI on the A unit should you get a same set up. TCS's install instructions explicitly say the "green LED wire MUST be on the same side as the right contact or it will not work." Ummm... they WILL NOT work unless you do the opposite of the instructions. All the same, this is a great runner with amazing power! And absolutely silent like all the IM locos I have and have seen are. I found this one at one of the LHS on consignment... LUCKY find!!!

GNR-PFP12-11-18-FTA424-001.jpg

Matt

GNR Pitch Fork Pass

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GNMatz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your rail road looks great and I look forward to your progress. Given the area you are modeling I've been compelled to reply to this thread. My wife and I have grown to love vacation travel in and around the Glacier National Park area where you are modeling. I've stayed in Essex at the Walton Lodge and I think the railroad through that area is super interesting. It sounds like you've been there but if you need any photos of the small rail yard in Essex let me know.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SKFengineer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,939 Times in 734 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GNMatz View Post
    Ummm... they WILL NOT work unless you do the opposite of the instructions.
    I found that out too, when I installed the TCS decoders several years ago. I sent them a email about it, and I'm surprised they haven't changed the instruction by now.

I have 6 ABBA sets in WP paint. I had a couple that were coffee grinders till I tore them down and went through them and played around with switching trucks around till they were quiet. Had to do the same to the F3's & F7s too.

I like the way you have them staged for the photos. beautiful photo BTW.
    Rodney

Here is my build of my n-scale railroad
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...-50-8-quot-%29

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKFengineer View Post
    Your rail road looks great and I look forward to your progress. Given the area you are modeling I've been compelled to reply to this thread. My wife and I have grown to love vacation travel in and around the Glacier National Park area where you are modeling. I've stayed in Essex at the Walton Lodge and I think the railroad through that area is super interesting. It sounds like you've been there but if you need any photos of the small rail yard in Essex let me know.
    Thanks! That area of Montana has a lot of significance to our family, and I still have family there. I do freelance photography, so next trip up, I'm going to photograph the appropriate sequences for separate areas on the layout, and what the mountains don't cover, in between them will be a photographic background of the locations actual scenery. I plan to stitch the photo sequences into long high res panoramic backdrops in their locations. I'll have to check with the printer I use to see how long of a panoramic they can do with a constant. They may be able to print it from a roll. It will be 20" high x whatever width I can get. Right now the total length will be about 24 running feet at 20" high. The scenery will blend into the photo series of shots all mashed together.

I Love the Izaak Walton!! I have family near by, so we go there in the afternoons for beverages and their amazing fries!!

Thanks for the offer, but I'll be up there several months in the coming year! Woohoo!!

Matt

GNR Pitch Fork Pass

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GNMatz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A short make up of the Empire Builder came through Pitch Fork Pass on the mainline today, being led by a single E7A (Precision Craft w/LokSound, one of my favorites!). I need to put some trains away so I can get stuff done!

GNR-PFP12-11-18-E7A-512-001.jpg

Matt

GNR Pitch Fork Pass

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GNMatz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good! Can't wait to see the next progress shots!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Phill91 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Ol Two Smokes is back inspecting new construction (since that avalanche thing he was in) sites along the GNR rails. He appears quite perplexed at the clear view he has of Never Laughs Mountain, all the way from Pitch Fork Pass. I think he needs more days off... he thought he was at Two Medicine. I've been spending some more time experimenting scaling the backdrop trees so the'll be truer to scale.

OlTwoSmokes-001.jpg

Matt

GNR Pitch Fork Pass

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GNMatz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Run them trains! Run them trains!

Did I say that twice? Yup, guess so, sometimes you just got to quit the scenery, trackwork, loco fixin, car building etc and just PLAY!

Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to badlandnp For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,015 Times in 2,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's some horse! Though I've seen horses on TV and in the movies running alongside trains, I can't imagine any horse we've had getting that close to one of those noisy, horse-eating monsters.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    That's some horse! Though I've seen horses on TV and in the movies running alongside trains, I can't imagine any horse we've had getting that close to one of those noisy, horse-eating monsters.
    My parents (when they were dating) often rode their horses over Two Medicine bridge, mom says "If you heard a train horn, you needed to speed it up!" Their horses at the ranch and lodge in East Glacier were born alongside RR tracks, They were actually pretty hard to spook after a a century of being around Trains all their lives.

Cheers

Matt

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All work and no play. Taking a MOW train up the Pass to repair a turnout machine.

One last trip and it's back to full-time MRRing!!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Matt

12-30-18-001.jpg

GNR Pitch Fork Pass

25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GNMatz For This Useful Post: