Thread: Changing scales

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Changing scales

Im finding out that its time for me to switch scales. The more im digging into the history of the Milwaukee road, im finding that its harder to model the era that im growing very fond of late steam. Im also finding out that n scale scratch building, detailing, detail work is too small and delicate for me. Also, my fiancee is more willing to participate with switching to HO. I also feel its more fitting to model downtown milwaukee in HO because it will be easier for me to scratch build and detail.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,866 Times in 5,375 Posts
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you have to do what works best for you... if HO is a more appropriate scale for your situation - and you lay out a number of valid reasons - then better that you be a happy HO modeler than a miserable N scale on.

However, do you feel you've given yourself adequate time to build the requisite skills in this scale? I have a feeling that at least for me, moving to a larger scale would only mean that I would expect to see and model even smaller (scale-size) details, which would mean I'd be in the same boat modeling tiny details on bigger cars with less (relative) space for them.

Of course, if the concern is that in HO you'd have to scratchbuild, say, 10% of your stuff while in N you'd have to build 50% of it... well...
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downtown MKE in Milw. Rd. days..... That's just screaming HO scale in my mind. Glad to see another WI modeler!

-Scott
    -Scott

Passer-by: "What are you standing here for?"
    Railfan: "To stare at empty track."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trainz35/ < My Flickr page

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trainz35 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 4,401 Posts
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Did she promise you a warehouse?
    You'll need four times the space to model the same thing as you would in N scale.
    A bigger question is what details do you want to add? Most of the ones you want to add will just get broken off when you start running tor trains.

If you really want to detail stuff you should model 1/1 scale.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scott, how can you not be a model railroader in Wisconsin, in my case the Milwaukee area. Walthers and Kalmbach are right in my backyard. Not to mention Trainfest.

CNW, the extra space needed is not as much as an issue for me because I want to put my effort into modeling the heart of Milwaukee. Detail wise I had more in mind for buildings as it will be easier to add power boxes and power lines, gutters, fire escapes etc. I know it can be done and n scale, but im not delicate enough for that small of work. The other unseen benefit of HO would be my fiancee is showing more interest then she did in n. It was too small for her too. We both agree model railroading will make a great family hobby so I feel its important for me to move to something easier for smaller hands when the time comes. I like the fact that HO has more options for steam. I mentioned in my research thread that I was interested in the 60s. The 60s worked for me in n scale because of what is available in the market, but honestly what im truely passionate about is steam. In my opinion, steam is the closest we ever got to creating life, and HO allows me to express that.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought HO was the better scale for almost everything, but I'm doing N scale because it allows me to pack a ton into a small space, especially scenery wise. If you plan to do a lot of detail work, I can't blame you for changing.
    N scale CPR Kootenay Division, started May 2011!
    Youtube channel: (MRR, Vlogs, Railway vids!) http://www.youtube.com/user/KootenayDivision
    Blog about the railway and methods used: http://kootenaymodelrailway.wordpress.com/ (Updated September 11th)
    Oh, and I take photos, too! http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=9296

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,926 Times in 1,884 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's great to find a girl that's interested in any scale. With your goals in mind, I would do exactly the same thing. Model railroading could become a life long hobby and you'll change goals, and maybe scales more than once. I've modeled in all of them and seem to be going down the list for the second time. I hope you find a group of friends that you can share your joy with in the HO community. That's what it's all about.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is nothing wrong in working in and with multiple scales. In my office I have Z, N, HO, O-27, 0 and G represented and present. Having a layout in one scale doesn't prevent you from having an interest or a second layout (albeit a small one) in a different scale. We are N-centric here, but all bound by a love of trains. Enjoy!
    Best,
    Tony

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gargoyle For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i also have on30 and o scale and n scale that i own!