Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Komata View Post
    he's since seen the light and now favours Holden - wise lad
    Indeed a wise move lol.

Thanks guys for your speedy and informative/interesting responses.
    Makes quite a good read... THANKS
    Great Scott!!
    Models always under construction...
    https://phill-phill.wixsite.com/consolidatedhobbies

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phill91 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,092 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My line is the SCXY, they only have 2 engines of their own (per the prototype and still under construction). One of the owners of the line is a lease company (ILSX), who supplies their engines. So I have 11 ILSX units. My line interchanges with the BNSF (2 GP39Es and 1 C44-9W) and the MNNR (1 B23-7). I also have an NP switcher to represent MNTX 105, the first of my MN Transportation Museum collection for use on scenic passenger trains on the line.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am prototypically modeling a particular area of CP, including prototypical motive power and...oh would you look at that foreign power from the future...
    So yeah, I have a passion for historical accuracy, but at the same time I can't resist a shiny thing.
    N scale CPR Kootenay Division, started May 2011!
    Youtube channel: (MRR, Vlogs, Railway vids!) http://www.youtube.com/user/KootenayDivision
    Blog about the railway and methods used: http://kootenaymodelrailway.wordpress.com/ (Updated September 11th)
    Oh, and I take photos, too! http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=9296

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My fictional railroad name is the H&A Railroad, or Hamilton and Aldershot Railroad. It's loosely based on the Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway which existed from 1892 through 1987 as a separate railway serving the Hamilton, Ontario area.

"When I was a kid, I went to the store and asked the guy, Do you have any toy train schedules?" ~ Stephen Wright
    Canadaquaria Forum

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 638 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BryanC View Post
    Sorry if I am, being a little slow here (and missing the point), but what exactly does this have to do with the name of your MRR?
    Actually I read the question not as what is the name of your railroad, but what roadnames are you actually running on your railroad.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hraka View Post
    what roadnames are you actually running on your railroad.
    That was what i had intended it to be, but its fun learning about everyones private roadnames too
    Great Scott!!
    Models always under construction...
    https://phill-phill.wixsite.com/consolidatedhobbies

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hraka View Post
    Actually I read the question not as what is the name of your railroad, but what roadnames are you actually running on your railroad.
    Quote Originally Posted by phillrulz91 View Post
    That was what i had intended it to be, but its fun learning about everyones private roadnames too
    Oops! Well, hraka, you seemed to have hit the jackpot! Sorry about that!

But regardless of the original intent the thread has, as Phil says, turned into a very interesting read!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BryanC (RIP) For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,567 Times in 4,403 Posts
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have two small layouts and one large one. All are themed around transportation around Chicago. We call the area within a 50 mile radius of the intersection State Street and Madison Avenue… Chicagoland (also the name of my large layout).

Because Chicago is the center of railroading in the U.S. almost any major road can be found in my collection and on the rails. There are a bunch of smaller local ones as well. U.P is banned as they ate my favorite, the Chicago and North Western. Uncle Pete never should have been allowed East of Omaha, anyway. My Heritage loco will get the UP markings removed and will celebrate 150 years of C&NW operations.

But, I grew up in walking distance of The Belt Railway Company of Chicago's Clearing Yard, Santa Fe's Corwith Yard a small Grand Trunk yard and a quartet of Illinois Central lines. So they are among the locos I own. Cars are any design, I like, as they all appear at some time. EMD LaGrange was not far away either so, if it's an EMD, it could have been built and seen in the neighborhood.

My two smaller layouts are streetcar themed so they reflect smaller segments of the area. Archer Heights is modeled after a typical neighborhood. The cars are built and painted after the Chicago Surface Lines and Chicago Transportation Authority. The Garfield Ridge Streetcar Museum is my original test overhead powered test layout so any traction paint job can appear there.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,303 Times in 520 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tennessee Valley & Gulf is the name of my road. I mostly have L&N motive power.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My future planned layout I hope to have two different destinations, one feature an ag setting with Cotton and Corn... the other with more heavy industries, maybe an auto manufacture, ethanol plant, logging/wood chipping.... those are the industries common around these parts in South Georgia (not so much auto, but Bama has a plant and there is one just starting up in north Georgia)...

I am actually planning on 3, I'd like to have constant moving rail, for which I haven't gotten a official name for yet... last night I was leaning towards ACT (Atlantic Coast Transit), this will be the shipper of choice for finished goods out of the regions... and probably will run the passenger rail service as some point too...

The other two, the one serving the cotton and corn / ag related region that will be called Valdosta State. The rail serving the heavy industry will be called Georgia Southern.

Some may notice that those last two are both names of colleges here in Georgia, and that is correct... I attended Georgia Southern and earned my bachelors in Accounting in 2007 and halfway completed my Civil Engineering degree.... I attended Valdosta State from 2008-2009 and earned my Masters in Business Administration... so I decided to name two of the rails after those colleges, and I thought they made good road names... (plus, I can use the logos from the schools... Valdosta State is known as the Blazers and GSU is the Eagles... so I have some good decal possibilities... )

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My roadname is the Amalgamated Western Railway. I want to be able to run any roadnames, so a key tenet of the AWR is not to change roadnames of the amalgamated roads. So it will be perfectly reasonable to see any of my locos running sided by side. Current roads include Santa Fe, Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Southern Pacific, and we aquired a loco from the New York Central, though we have not amalgamated them yet.

I have:
    Burlington Northern: 2 GP38-2
    Santa Fe : GP38-2, E7, FA-1
    Union Pacific: Dash 8-40B
    Southern Pacific: GP30
    New York Central: U25B
    Unmarked: GP38-2

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Nashville & Southern Railroad derives its name from the fact that the area it originally served was Nashville, Indiana and points south of that. As time passed and the railroad grew, it also reached a few points to the north. The mix of motive power is best described as eclectic. There are a pair of ex-MoPac RS2's, a pair of ex-Conrail GP38-2's, a pair of ex-Ann Arbor FA2's, an ex-Great Northern SD7, an ex-N&W SD7, and a lone ex-BN B23-7. All of the locos still carry their original owners' paint schemes. I also have an old ATSF E8 which will either be scrapped or become a body donor to another bad-looking but good running E unit.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is the Grand Trunk Western Flint to Port Huron (Chicago Divison) I run all Railroads that ran in michigan from 1970-1999. Primary power is GTW and a few CN on Chicago to Toronto Through Trains, Amtrak Passangers with a GTW Steam and Green rail fan train to represent the old Mohawk and Internation ( now the Amtrak blue water route). There was alot of merges in the 1970 - 1980 so I have a diverse rolling stock collection and with three interchanges in route there is alot of mixing of roadnames in road freight.

GTW (Grand Trunk Western)
    Cn
    PC
    CO/CSX
    Ann Arbor
    DTI ( Detroit Toledo and Ironton)
    DTS (Detroit Toledo Shoreline)
    PHD (Port Huron & Detroit)
    DM (Detroit & Mackinaw)
    The Good Track Road

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,246 Times in 3,637 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin9 View Post
    I am actually planning on 3, I'd like to have constant moving rail, for which I haven't gotten a official name for yet... last night I was leaning towards ACT (Atlantic Coast Transit), this will be the shipper of choice for finished goods out of the regions... and probably will run the passenger rail service as some point too...

The other two, the one serving the cotton and corn / ag related region that will be called Valdosta State. The rail serving the heavy industry will be called Georgia Southern.
    Thumbs up! I was actually born in Valdosta. And my sister, whose hobby is genealogy, has discovered an ancestor of ours who was an Engineer for Georgia & South Florida, one of the lines that eventually became Southern.

I like the name ACT, though there is another famous ACT being done in N-scale that people might mistake for yours... that would be Mike Fifer's, and he posts here. Maybe if you used a different word than "Transit", that way you can post a thread here about your latest developments without all of of thinking it's another Fifer video. Though, that might not be a bad strategy, to get lots more readership, since everybody around here I think just drinks up everything Fifer puts out!

What is your reasoning behind having 3 different freelance roads? One concept you could consider is that they share some heritage. Maybe VS and GS were predecessors that formed ACT (or whatever) in a recent merger, so you get to run all 3 but it's really one road. Or maybe they are all "franchise" shortlines operated by the same company.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm putting together a CN railroad that is a combination of various bits of Southern Ontario in the late 60's to mid-70's. I don't know if I'll give it any other name. The only "foreign" loco I'm running on it is a GO Transit GP40 which isn't really foreign because CN leased GO loco's for weekend freight service in the area and time period. The rest of my DCC converted locos on the railroad are all CN and include 4 RDCs, 2 C630s, a GP 38, a GP9 and a FP9. I do have one CP F7? or F9? (I don't remember which) loco that I don't plan to convert.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    Thumbs up! I was actually born in Valdosta. And my sister, whose hobby is genealogy, has discovered an ancestor of ours who was an Engineer for Georgia & South Florida, one of the lines that eventually became Southern.

I like the name ACT, though there is another famous ACT being done in N-scale that people might mistake for yours... that would be Mike Fifer's, and he posts here. Maybe if you used a different word than "Transit", that way you can post a thread here about your latest developments without all of of thinking it's another Fifer video. Though, that might not be a bad strategy, to get lots more readership, since everybody around here I think just drinks up everything Fifer puts out!

What is your reasoning behind having 3 different freelance roads? One concept you could consider is that they share some heritage. Maybe VS and GS were predecessors that formed ACT (or whatever) in a recent merger, so you get to run all 3 but it's really one road. Or maybe they are all "franchise" shortlines operated by the same company.

Well, actually since posting this, I think I've decided to go with Cougar Rail as my third rail.... I don't know why other than the school I attended from 1st grade to 4th grade were the Cougars.. I also came up with a pretty neat looking logo for it... so it will probably stick...

I have no reason I guess... other than I can maybe.. lol... my plans were to have two communities at opposite ends of my layout... the main line "Cougar" would be on a main that just just constantly haul freight... that circled the entire space... The remaining two would be more like shortlines, with each having its specialization... which I could run a oval layout in each community and have some small switchers built in... giving me the option to run all 3 rails are once if I just want to sit back and watch, or, giving me the power to do some switching in one area, and run the second main to the other region for a delivery... maybe pickup some empty cars for the trip back... those two regions would be connected by a second "main" if you want to call it that, with access between both main rails... that's my idea... I can see your idea as well though... and that might work better... as I am having trouble getting my vision down on paper with a good flowing rail network... i can't decide if I want to use reversing loops at each end of the main or have a full layout loop with a liftout bridge for center access.... but that's also a long ways away...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unlike you guys, the centerpiece of my layout will be a fictional steel mill rather than a railroad. I will likely have CSX running the mains, but the industry side will be a shortline, name of which I have not decided yet. The mill name will be Arcsteel, where they will use arc furnaces and direct reduced iron to make steel. I have begun design of some of the structures, and they are already 15" tall.

For the shortline, I am open to suggestions. The setting will likely be somewhere here in PA. Major loads into the mill will include coal for the gasifier and power plant, ore, and limestone. Loads out will likely be various gons and flats full of steel.
    Stogie

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my world it is approximately some where between 1995 and 1998. This is after the acquisitions by UP of many other systems.

Most of the engines have the UP name on them.
    Then there are others with Southern Pacific, Missouri Pacific, Chicago & North Western.
    Also a Texas Mexican Ry, GP38-2 used in interchange service.

I had the era and area I wanted to model and I did not have to choose from the roads I wanted to model. UP made it easy for me.
    Ken Price
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/s...ice/?start=all

It's around 1996-1999. UP, MP, SP. South Valley Railroad. Some where in the west of Texas. Near San Angelo.
    Started in 2007, Super Empire Builder with radio throttles.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some input guys. For those with a fictional, or semi-fictional road, would you like a logo? I am doing an article on Inkscape for Model Railroad Tips and will be able to get a sample print of artwork decals made. I have some logos, but not enough for a full sheet. I can do road names, company signage or even billboards. My background is more into industrial applications, so the billboards are not that impressive. You can see some of my work here: http://todengine.websitetoolbox.com/...-Logos-2914182

For those who are interested, I will assemble a set of graphics which you can print or have printed.

Thanks,
    Stogie

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 898 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey I was just thinking I needed to find someone who could redraw my logo for me in a vector-based program as I don't have one and am really not that interested in acquiring or learning to use one.

Only trouble is, the only copy I have is my avatar at the moment.... My larger drawing was on my old computer whose harddrive crashed. Is that big enough to work from? If not I could try to redraw a larger one in Paint.
    "Do Not Hump!?!?! Does that mean what I think it means?!?"--Michelle Blanchard

"People saw wood and say nothing, but railroad men saw trains and say things that are better left unprinted."--Charles De Lano Hine

Down with UP