Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Whats your main MRR roadname

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default road name

Not sure yet. Going to run ARR, SP AND UP together. Ought to look interesting to say the least. Wife wants UP along with Amtrak, I want SP and ARR. Lots of trains to run. God please let me win the lottery

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main roadname for mainline trains is the Rio Grande, but everything else is owned by the Mustang Mining Company, later known as the Mustang Mining Corporation, running its extensive rail lines as the Mustang Railroad. The world my railroad exists in is a steampunk version of 1930s Colorado, with my Atlas 0-4-0 getting a pair of huge cogs attached on either side of the boiler, to represent an auxiliary drive for running mining equipment. An old AHM cylindrical hopper has been repainted oxide red with the piping detailed in copper, to serve as a way to ship finished product (Unobtainium? Vibranium? Cavorite? I haven't decided yet). Meanwhile a Kato 2-6-4T is on the way to undergo some Americanization and steampunking before it starts helping out the 0-4-0 with the mine run. All a nice fun break from getting burned out on superdetailing in HO scale, plus my wife is a steampunk too and is preferential to N scale, AND our apartment living is more conducive to an N scale layout, so it's a win all around!
    --Rio Grande - Thru the Rockies--
    {Mustang Mining Co. - Magnite Supplier to the World}

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to architrains For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C.W. Johnson R.R., my grantfather's namesake. It's a 1960's old time tourist passenger service a-la the Durango & Silverton Narrow Guage RR, which is where I lived as a child. I have 2 10-wheelers, a 4-4-0, and 18 green 34' Overton coaches, combos, observation and mail cars. As of now, the engines and cars are undecorated. Anyone know the best people to have paint the roadnames on? That's way over my head, lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,286 Times in 3,655 Posts
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might be over your head right now, but it doesn't have to remain so. Buck up the courage to do it yourself! Of course, you'll want to get some practice on cars you don't mind a bit of sloppiness on, and save the centerpiece engines for later. Next time you're at a train show, or maybe you can find some deals on eBay or even here, try to pick up a couple of "junker" cars for a few bucks. You can gain your skills on those.

Perhaps the main thing you need, though, are the lettering and/or heralds for your fictional railroad. It's not like you're gonna be browsing in a hobby shop and come across a decal set for the CWJRR. If you don't feel confident in your ability to develop and print such custom decals yourself, that might be where you want to turn to a pro. I used RailGraphics to do my decals many years ago, though I developed the artwork myself; they can do the artwork for ya though. However, they are likely to require a minimum order that is far beyond the amount of decals you will need, so it would seem that home-brewing and printing are a better option. Maybe you can find someone here willing and able to develop the artwork, and then it's just a matter of you printing out onto decal sheets, then painting and applying those decals.

Do you have any clear thoughts on what sort of color scheme and font style you might like? What about a symbol or logo or herald? Are there any real-world graphics that you'd like to emulate?

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WP&P,

I do have a color scheme of black and green with gold trim. No logos or heralds just yet, so it sounds like it'll be pretty easy to get some old-style numbers and letters. Thanks for the info!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it's Coaster for passenger (may add a second Amtrak train) because of my locale, and the athearn ones are (or were) super common, at least more common that their other bombardier road names
    Freight train, I don't care at all because I need it to be as cheap as possible, I have union pacific, b&o, Pennsylvania, acfx, there are like 15 roadnames in the 28 freight cars and 2 locomotives
    No, in fact I even try to avoid foreign prototypes, so no fleischmann or tomix, but I also need to be on the watch for "disguised" kato freight cars that are actually Japanese prototypes
    West coast modeler, 1/144 commercial aircraft builder, and shapeways seller of buses and subway cars

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main railroad interests are the Penn Central, Erie Lackawanna, Central Railroad of New Jersey and Lehigh Valley.

My model railroad is named the Hudson Shores Terminal Railroad.

My fictitious Hudson Shores Terminal Railroad is "jointly owned" by the Baltimore & Ohio/Chessie System and Penn Central. I sometimes refer to it as the 'Hudson Shores Transfer Company'.

They use "leased locomotives", SW8's, SW9/1200's, VO-1000's, from the parent companies and a new (new to the HST) GE 44 Tonner. I just paint out the parent roadname/heralds and use "teen numbers" (10-19) as locomotive numbers and use "leased" cabooses, B&O, C&O, WM, Chessie, PRR, NH, NYC and/or PC. The cabooses's keep their original paint and road numbers, no paint-outs.

The HST is an industrial railroad located in fictitous Hudson Shores, New Jersey, working the New Jersey and New York river district and rail/marine operations between Hoboken, NJ and Manhatten, NY. It interchanges with the PC, EL, CNJ, LV and Reading.

The modeled era is 1968-1976 (pre-Conrail), this allows for all the predessessor paint schemes. It is loosely based on the Hoboken Shore Railroad in New Jersey.

The HST owns no freightcars.
    Last edited by Fredenberg; 25th Aug 2013 at 12:59 PM.
    Tom Fredenberg

Linden, North Carolina

American by Birth, Biker by Choice, Patriot Forever

United States Navy 1986-1997

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 2,688 Posts
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main road name is Black River & Strasburg RR, named after the prototype roads I'm very loosely following ( more as source for ideas, guide lines ). The BRS main operations are passenger excursions, historic equipment renovation / restoration and museum.
    There is a team track ( primarily grain and lumber ) and a granite quarry (quarry is a very small, family owned, operation), these are serviced by the Nottingham, Springfield & Northern once or twice a week.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,671 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that named after the Black River & Western in NJ??
    (Right in my backyard...)
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    Is that named after the Black River & Western in NJ??
    (Right in my backyard...)
    Not originally, but was named for the river through my town, then i discovered the BR&W which then became an interest. Someday i want to visit both.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The name of my railroad should be pretty self explanatory.
    It came about because I don't belong to any railroading clubs and being more than 200 kms away from the nearest hobby shop, I'm geographically fairly isolated.
    All of this points to me being a loner when it comes to my model railroad and so the LWRR was born....without much thought being put into it.....it was just obvious that was the pertinent name for it.
    Cheers,
    Rob
    LONE WOLF RAILROAD

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sundiesel For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where abouts are you?
    Great Scott!!
    Models always under construction...
    https://phill-phill.wixsite.com/consolidatedhobbies

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 430 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My New layout is going to be the Monticello, Mineola & Pittsburg short line. Named after some small towns around the area I'll be retiring to. But it's a ways off as I'm still in the planning stages.

CaseyJones

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CaseyJones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main RR name on my fictional layout is quite simply Sunshine Coast Railway. This is going back to the sale of BC Rail, however I instead of CN purchasing BC Rail it was CP Rail as the winning bidder.

The Sunshine Coast Railway serves many industries on the just over 100 mile rail line. It also interchanges with the CP Rail in Squamish British Columbia.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh... I havn't updated mine in a while. The last few months I've been putting a lot of thought into a new railroad "Vermont Atlantic" details in my signature link "Freelance RR"
    Summary: I'm combing the NECR and Vermont Railway into one, modern day railroad.
    In addition "Steamtown" will still be in Vermont, under a new name and mission "Riverside Transportation Museum" to keep it interesting.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine will be the Alaskan Interior Railway running from Fairbanks down to Valdez. It will interchange with Alaska RR in Fairbanks.

When completed, there will only be AKIR or AKRR motive power except for maybe 1 or two recently purchased locos.
    Last edited by AKCentral; 25th Jan 2015 at 07:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 843 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Main RR name is G&G Railway, no foreign power, HCD layout based on 2005 Amherst
    "It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Gary

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 427 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My RR Name is Southern Pine and Gurgaon. SP&G. Fictional RR from East Texas logging boom in the early 1920's. Loosely based on the International and Great Northern RR and Southern Pine Lumber RR.
    Andy C.,
    Southern Pine Rail Operations, Back in Cypress TEXAS

My build thread: http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...706#post476706

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Icon7 P&BRR - Microtown, PA

My free-lance railroad is the P&BRR (Pig & BeaverRailroad) located in a fictional town known as Microtown, PA. Microtown hosts a railroad museum and runs excursionsusing run a variety of motive power and rolling stock throughout the year. My 4x4 layout is a reverse 8 with sidings, aturn table and a tunnel.

My first locomotive was Penn Central #274, a primative Eor F Diesel by Rapido, with rubber band drive, purchased by me in the mid 1970s. I made due with a simple oval until twenty years later when I beganmodelling N scale in earnest. My rosterof motive power has now grown considerably over the next 20 years. A turntable, at the museum in the center oftown, accommodates the following locomotives in order of purchase:

Penn Central #274
    Santa Fe F-7 (with starter train set - later sold)
    Lehigh Valley GP-18 #303
    Baltimore and Ohio GP-18 #6599
    P&BRR 0-6-0 Switcher #141 (my first steam locomotive –custom markings)
    New York Central 4-6-2 Pacific #4594
    New York Ontario & Western EMD FT #803
    Housatonic RR GP-35 #3604
    New York Ontario & Western 4-8-2 Light Mountain #402
    PRR 4-4-0 American
    Western Maryland 2-8-0 Consolidation #761
    Brill Trolley #36
    New York & New England 2-6-0 Mogul

I have just purchased a kit-bashed, undecorated, 0-6-0Camelback (non-operating) which I plan to decorate with NYO&W markings.

Regards,
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by O&W Double Cab; 10th Feb 2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Added Photo of P&BRR #141

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinetrainman View Post
    The main RR name on my fictional layout is quite simply Sunshine Coast Railway. This is going back to the sale of BC Rail, however I instead of CN purchasing BC Rail it was CP Rail as the winning bidder.

The Sunshine Coast Railway serves many industries on the just over 100 mile rail line. It also interchanges with the CP Rail in Squamish British Columbia.

After a much too long absence, I have my railroads motive power fleet established and will be putting benchwork together rather soon. The Sunshine Coast Railway purchased power from CP ( 3 GP9u's, 2 SW1200's, 1 GP35 ) in 2005. You can expect SCR power as well as a heavily flavoured CP, CN 2007 era rolling stock assortment. SCR power and rolling stock will be in the MDW/Boise green scheme. I WILL get soem pics up as soon as able.