Thread: Progress on the N-scale Housatonic RR

Thanks
    Thanked 1,721 Times in 208 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Progress on the N-scale Housatonic RR

**** NOTE: Older photos disappeared along with the specific photo hosting sites they were located on. Later pages should have more recent progress photos.

I apologize for the blank spaces where photos once existed.

Since I am finally getting some time to start working on my layout after a year, I figured it is good to document it.

Here's the latest track plan:

I just started taking an hour or two here and there to make some layout progress again. I have been running trains and switching out my mocked up industries. I am at the point of getting things finalized so I can permanently attach and wire all the industrial trackage. All buildings will either be scratchbuilt or extensively kitbashed.

My first project of the new work season was to rebuild Kimberly Clark. It was close, but not close enough to the prototype. Here are three shots. The first was the original configuration, next is a Bing Maps screenshot showing the prototype and the last shows the modification I made over the last few days. The back walls and roof will be added once I get the track in its final position.

Original configuration:

Bing Maps View:

Modified version:

I am now happy with the compressed representation of the Kimberly Clark plant in New Milford, CT. There is much to be done, but there has been progress at least.

I have also started bashing buildings for Specialty Minerals. I was able to pick up some ugly HO scale IHC cement silos for $1.99 each and have begun turning them into N-scale structures for the Specialty Minerals limestone plant. There is still a ton of detailing and finish work to do on these!

Original crappy IHC HO version

New N-scale conversion (in progress)

Eric
    Last edited by POMPERAUGRR; 6th May 2022 at 09:44 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are a few more areas where some minor progress has been made.

I will happily accept constructive criticism to help improve the scenes and my skills as I go along. Here are a few more progress shots from around the layout. Please note that none of the buildings is finished, the few trees are a horrible shade of green which will be changed and the ground cover is going to be redone. The layout will need thousands of trees eventually.

This will be Becton Dickenson, a medical plastic products manufacturer in Canaan, CT. The first shot is my mock-up/partial kitbash, the second is the Bing Maps view for reference. I tried to capture the feeling of the recessed truck loading area and the tracks for boxcars and plastic pellets. Still a lot to do, but it is helping me finalize track placement, so I can then finish the building.

Next is H.H. Taylor & Son hardware and lumber distribution. The old buildings are from a layout I built 20 years ago and are acting as place holders. They may or may not be modified for use here.

I am adding a rail customer that does not have a spur on the prototype. Neeltran is located between Kimberly Clark and Stratas Foods on the prototype. They make transformers and electrical control units for factories. They will be getting coiled steel once my Atlas coil cars come in. On the prototype a spur could easily be added off of the Kimberly Clark switching lead, so I added it in my model world. Again, this is just a mock up to capture the layout of the actual buliding.

Overall view of 13' section depicting New Milford industries. From left to right: Stratas Foods, Neeltran and Kimberly Clark.

The final shot is an overview of the New Milford train station and Railroad Street. Numerous DPM buildings will be modified and placed here eventually. The station is a combination of two Atlas "Maywood Station" kits. Again a work in progress.

As you can see, there are very few buildings that can be made from kits, so just about every building has to be extensively kitbashed or scratchbuilt. This is time consuming, but rewarding. Please feel free to offer advice as these scenes are close to being finalized, but nothing is etched in stone yet. I appreciate any and all feedback!

Eric

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,970 Times in 821 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very ambitious project, Eric. I look forward to continued documentation of your progress.
    Dick,

Usually, when all is said and done, there's a lot more said than done!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 715 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats looking really nice!!! Be sure to give us lots of pics. Don't get to see large industrial complexes like this very often.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did some work on the Neeltran building. It has gone from cardboard mock up to first stage of actual construction. This is an N scale layout, but I started out with an HO scale Walthers corn storage warehouse from their HO ethanol series. I cut down the walls. The top portion retained its peaked roof and the lower wall sections that were cut off now form the flat roofed portion. The flat roof is from the Nu-Line warehouse kits I bashed into Kimberly Clark and Becton Dickenson. Lastly, the tan additions were made from one Micro-Engineering Engine house kit. I still have doors and windows to add, as well as skylights, paint and details, but for now this will work so that I may finalize the siding, attach the track and wire it up.

aerial view showing this industrial area and the 3 customers I am modeling:

Eric

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a quick cell phone video of some layout progress. I just got a new phone and decided to try out the video. Sorry about the lighting and poor production quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svj6l...ature=youtu.be

Eric

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,970 Times in 821 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice! I am envious of the space you have. I'm sure Louis is pleased to have that Gorge named for him!
    Dick,

Usually, when all is said and done, there's a lot more said than done!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,752 Times in 5,605 Posts
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No need to apologize about the lighting and production quality... I found them quite good... and so was the train and scenery! That Kimberly-Clark factory is turning out quite nice! And the bridge looks really good, too!
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by absnut View Post
    Nice! I am envious of the space you have. I'm sure Louis is pleased to have that Gorge named for him!
    You are correct Dick. Louis is the one that inspired me to add the bridge to my layout. I have operated his layout a number of times and loved watching trains crossing his steel trestle. So I figured that I could take a break from the prototype and add it as a scenic element, named after him.

Eric

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Work slowly progresses on the Housatonic.

Here are a few more grab shots as I am roughing in Specialty Minerals, in the Canaan section of the layout. This was formerly a quarry owned by Pfizer and had been here a long time. It produces a specialized form of limestone used in pharmaceuticals, food, and tile industries. It was also one of the primary producers of magnesium during WWII.

The prototype plant is a major customer for the Housatonic RR. I would love to see some nice Flexiflow Hoppers produced in N scale, as I need a ton of these to represent the actual traffic at Specialty Minerals.

First the prototype plant:

Now for some of the rough models and mock-ups:

Kimberly Clark (consumer paper goods):

I have also finally updated my blog a bit. (See link in signature)

Eric

http://housatonicnscale.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by POMPERAUGRR; 8th May 2012 at 03:05 PM.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by POMPERAUGRR View Post
    The prototype plant is a major customer for the Housatonic RR. I would love to see some nice Flexiflow Hoppers produced in N scale, as I need a ton of these to represent the actual traffic at Specialty Minerals.

Eastern Seaboard Models made quite a few of these. They may be hard to find.

http://www.esmc.com/1100/Item1107.html

I have 2 of these that I will never use and they would look fine on one of the last remains of the CNE.

Cheers,
    Craig

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vikingservices View Post
    Eastern Seaboard Models made quite a few of these. They may be hard to find.

http://www.esmc.com/1100/Item1107.html

I have 2 of these that I will never use and they would look fine on one of the last remains of the CNE.

Cheers,
    Craig
    Thanks. I have seen those, but I need about 24 or so. They are hard to find. I need to repaint and decal them for Merchants Despatch, since those cars are always at Specialty Minerals. It would be great to see someone else produce these as undecorated models!

Eric

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I finally made some time to work on my layout. I figured that I had some time for small projects before the football games started yesterday. These small projects led to bigger projects, and that all equated to progress on the layout.

I did not like the mock up I had for Becton Dickenson and the track arrangement for switching. I ripped out the single track from Canaan to the way too short, New Milford siding and extended that siding all the way to Becton Dickenson. This will make switching out both New Milford and Becton Dickenson much easier. I added a small deck girder bridge where I had a culvert for more visual interest. I took the B&D building apart and reconfigured it to better match the prototype (both building and track arrangement).

Proto shot of B&D:

Re-done B&D model (still just the front of the structure). The rest of the building needs to be completed. I wanted to capture the unique loading dock area. This also shows the roughed in bridge, which still needs paint and abutments.

Finally some views of the extended siding and switching area for B&D:

I also finalized the Canaan yard area and the enginehouse/service area. I ripped out the old track configuration and redid the entire area. The taped together engine house is a stand in until I can scratchbuild one. All track is cut and still needs to be attached, wired and painted. While I was at it, I also ripped out the Specialty Minerals trackage and using satellite photos, laid it out to match the prototype.

Proto view of Specialty Minerals. As you can see, I still need to build a number of buildings, silos and conveyors!

Eric
    Last edited by POMPERAUGRR; 3rd Jan 2014 at 12:39 PM.

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,403 Times in 3,314 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any chance we could get some full sized pictures? I can barely make out the detail in those little guys.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with baronjutter, bigger pictures would be great. There's a ton of details hidden in these pictures. All those structures are amazing. Thomas

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent progress Eric. Most of our industry structures are too small so they can fit on our too small layouts. You are really capturing the bigness of the prototype.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,780 Times in 3,880 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Looking good Eric!
    Glad you found some time to work on things again.
    Been waiting for another update, always enjoy enjoy your work!
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Support the natural selection process, remove the warning labels....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sorry about the small photos. My hosting site is not being cooperative. I'll have to find a new hosting site. Plus these were cell phone grab shots.

Eric

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,403 Times in 3,314 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

picasa/google works pretty great for photos.