Thread: Progress on the N-scale Housatonic RR

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all looks excellent!

Doug
    Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
    www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Gosha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,721 Times in 208 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Specialty Minerals, in the Canaan, CT portion of my layout got a little dustier. Specialty Minerals produces and processes a unique form of dolomite limestone at this plant, from materials mined in its very nearby quarry. As a result all paved areas and structures have a film of limestone dust covering them to varying degrees. I just started "dust" application on the paved areas last evening, along with a few pieces of equipment. There is still a lot to be done with the structures, silos, vehicles and material piles, etc., not to mention ballasting and weathering the tracks leading into the plant. Those limestone boulders lining the paved areas are actually limestone from that location, along with a little stone dust.

Prototype location:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,102 Times in 2,963 Posts
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More dust. Of course there comes a point that the trains won't run.....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,875 Times in 3,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow , just wow , amazing layout. Whereabouts do you live , cause I'd like to put this on my bucketlist to view in real life when I go on my USA layout trip.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janbouli View Post
    Wow , just wow , amazing layout. Whereabouts do you live , cause I'd like to put this on my bucketlist to view in real life when I go on my USA layout trip.
    I'm in Connecticut, about 45 to 60 minutes away from some of the actual scenes I model.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 781 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a beautiful scene.
    Serdar

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssoysal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,897 Times in 1,573 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks great, and your fidelity to the actual place is impressive. Is all of that actual stone dust, or also some pan pastels or something else?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTFan View Post
    That looks great, and your fidelity to the actual place is impressive. Is all of that actual stone dust, or also some pan pastels or something else?
    Thank you. The "dust" is a combination of very fine, real dolomite limestone dust and small rocks from the actual Specialty Mineral's plant and pan pastels. The stone dust gives some texture and irregularity and the pan pastels allow for a gradation of color throughout the scene. I still have to do more with the stone dust and small rocks to make material piles for the crusher as well as spillage and accumulation throughout the plant and on the buildings.

Thankfully, I am able to take good reference shots from public property, without trespassing. The stone dust and collection of small rocks I gathered were at the edge of a public road and had washed down from a nearby pile.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a bit late posting my weekend progress. The first project was to paint and ballast the spur track leading into Specialty Minerals. I added some limestone spillage and weeds too. The second project was painting and ballasting the track and scratchbuilding the unloading area for Stratas Foods. They take in vegetable oil and corn syrups, then repackage them for consumer retail sale. That was Sunday night, thanks to a few hours of unexpected free time. I still need to add unloading hoses, spillage containment equipment, etc. There is no anti-fall protection at the proto location, so that is one less thing to have to model.

Stratas Foods:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 616 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great work, have you put up a 'How I Do It' article or video any place? Would love to see a step by step of how you are doing this.

Sumner
    Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- MyHome Page
    http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR%20Mai...ge%20Menu.html

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sumner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
    Great work, have you put up a 'How I Do It' article or video any place? Would love to see a step by step of how you are doing this.

Sumner
    I wish I had documented the process. I really just follow the examples of demonstrations I have seen online, like Martin Welberg and Boomer Diorama. Mostly I experiment and make it up as I go.

I will try to document the next section of layout I will be working on. That area is still just track on blue foam with buildings plopped down on it.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,930 Times in 1,551 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know some forums think we give out compliments a bit too easily around here. But when you see good work that shows an individuals progress and achievement, I am a strong believer in positive reinforcement.

This thread is becoming an example of superb craftsmanship. I don't mean to "gush" but these photos show scenes that are ready for publishing in any N scale periodical. Certainly worthy of study for technique.
    I second the thought that perhaps you consider documenting. I personally am challenged with that myself. I'll finish a day of work and forget to even take a quick snapshot of before/after and then forget in the next session.

From a critiquing point, yes, I see a single piece of ballast that could used a .001" adjustment but that is a very common occurrence and could easily be attributed to artistic license.

Aside from that, I am in awe. Congrats again for some great modeling.

Quote Originally Posted by POMPERAUGRR View Post
    and a video link to a very basic and unedited overview video of the layout from this past February
    I missed this post. Nicely designed layout. You have a good eye for the composition/arrangement of track and structures. Not to mention mad and prolific modeling skills.
    Last edited by Jugtown Modeler; 8th Jun 2022 at 09:38 AM. Reason: sheesh... spelling
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler - Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life - Web-Folio
    Blog: American Revolutionary War Diorama:https://www.nscale.net/forums/entry....onment-Diorama
    The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,102 Times in 2,963 Posts
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said @Jugtown Modeler!

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    From a critiquing point, yes, I see a single piece of ballast that could used a .001" adjustment but that is a very common occurrence and could easily be attributed to artistic license.
    Yes, I thought that piece of ballast glaringly obvious, but attributed it's misplacement to fatigue on the part of the track gang.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    Well said @Jugtown Modeler!

Yes, I thought that piece of ballast glaringly obvious, but attributed it's misplacement to fatigue on the part of the track gang.
    The ballast issue may or may not have been caused by a small "Rule G" violation toward the end of the modeling session.

Thank you all for the kind words.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I worked on the Neeltran location yesterday. I built in the craft foam paved area and weathered it, and then added some scenery back around the plant. I still need to weather and detail the building, but for now, I am focusing on general scenery.

My "High tech" ballast application system.

Last edited by POMPERAUGRR; 28th Jun 2022 at 03:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 781 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff. What I really like about this scene is that the unnecessary details like the road coming into the facility are omitted and the focus is on the railroad activity taking place on the spur. The semi that's rounding the corner is enough of a hint to suggest connection to the rest of the world. I frequently find myself "forcing" a connection road in an unnatural way to try make the scene look realistic - and in the end it looks just bad. Seeing a great example of "just the necessary details" like this is very helpful. Thank you for sharing.
    Serdar

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ssoysal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ssoysal View Post
    Good stuff. What I really like about this scene is that the unnecessary details like the road coming into the facility are omitted and the focus is on the railroad activity taking place on the spur. The semi that's rounding the corner is enough of a hint to suggest connection to the rest of the world. I frequently find myself "forcing" a connection road in an unnatural way to try make the scene look realistic - and in the end it looks just bad. Seeing a great example of "just the necessary details" like this is very helpful. Thank you for sharing.
    Thank you. That was the effect I was going for. Plus, the actual location has the access driveway configured just like that, leading from the rail served "rear' of the facility to the main road out "front."

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent about an hour last night adding bushes, weeds and grass tufts to the track area along Neeltran. I still need to detail and weather the building and the overhead crane system...someday.

The scene is coming along, thanks to the realization that taking the time to make small changes leads to bigger results over time.

32. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like your big lot size industries. Makes it very realistic.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to SS454 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 706 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As others have commented, an amazingly high-caliber of modeling work here—very impressive, suitable for a layout in any model railroading publication. And, finally, a warehouse modeled with a realistic amount of trucks (orange trailers). What containers are those (e.g., how are they branded?), and how were you able to source so many?

Southern Pacific | Santa Fe | SPSF | BNSF | Metrolink | CalTrain | Chicago Metra | TGV Lyria

railways by Kato Unitrack + Unitram | electric light-rail by Tomix | construction by Kato Diotown & Tomytec Co., Ltd. | vehicles by Busch GmbH & Co. KG
    ambient sound design by Fantasonics | DC-control by MRC
    digital command control by Dynamis Ultima | layout automation software by RailController