Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Progress on the N-scale Housatonic RR

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NellsChoo View Post
    The Housatonic is one road I'd like to see more of. I have only seen 2 of their trains actually moving through the years. Will you be building the Canaan station??
    Hello, PAUMPERAUGRR. I agree with NellsChoo! I am new here and just discovered your thread today thanks to NP&P's posting. I used to live in New Milford, CT just across the river from Kimberly Clark. Now I live in Bethel, CT not far from Danbury, CT where I often spot the Housatonic RR spotting cars down at O&G Industries. My current roster includes Housatonic #3604 which I have often spotted there or running near Lover's Leap. Thanks and please keep those updates coming!

PS: You are beginning to capture the character and feel of Bank St. quite well.
    Nick

2. The Following User Says Thank You to O&W Double Cab For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Eric,

Actually there was a bridge and gorge similar to that on the CNE in New Hartford. Here's some links:

http://www.cthistoryonline.org/cdm/r...on/cho/id/7148

http://www.cthistoryonline.org/cdm/r...on/cho/id/5635

Both shots looking west toward the town of New Hartford (RT44 to the right).

BTW, I still have 2 of those ESM hoppers that Spec Minerals usually have around their plant. I regularly go to Winsted on the 3rd Wednesday of the month for a CNE luncheon, so I'm occasionally in the area.

Cheers,
    Craig

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vikingservices For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by O&W Double Cab View Post
    Hello, PAUMPERAUGRR. I agree with NellsChoo! I am new here and just discovered your thread today thanks to NP&P's posting. I used to live in New Milford, CT just across the river from Kimberly Clark. Now I live in Bethel, CT not far from Danbury, CT where I often spot the Housatonic RR spotting cars down at O&G Industries. My current roster includes Housatonic #3604 which I have often spotted there or running near Lover's Leap. Thanks and please keep those updates coming!

PS: You are beginning to capture the character and feel of Bank St. quite well.
    I appreciate that, especially from someone who knows the area. I am also experimenting with how to incorporate the old Bleachery Building with the marina near the bridges over the Housatonic River. This is a progress shot looking down Railroad Street. Don't mind the mess, this area needs a lot of work, but you can see the RT 202 Veterans Memorial Bridge on the right. I still need to model the Bank Street Cinema too.

Eric

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vikingservices View Post
    Hi Eric,

Actually there was a bridge and gorge similar to that on the CNE in New Hartford. Here's some links:

http://www.cthistoryonline.org/cdm/r...on/cho/id/7148

http://www.cthistoryonline.org/cdm/r...on/cho/id/5635

Both shots looking west toward the town of New Hartford (RT44 to the right).

BTW, I still have 2 of those ESM hoppers that Spec Minerals usually have around their plant. I regularly go to Winsted on the 3rd Wednesday of the month for a CNE luncheon, so I'm occasionally in the area.

Cheers,
    Craig
    Thanks for the bridge information! That is awesome. It is similar. Since the CNE and the HRRC interchanged and crossed in Canaan, it is not too far of a stretch to include the bridge. I appreciate you taking the time to post that information!

Eric

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoying your ability to "model" all the industries and areas. Just read through this thread and glad to see the burnout take the off ramp.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. The basic structures are established for Mead Paper Co., in Lee, Mass. This plant takes in boxcars of sheet pulp to make office paper products. There is no pulp mill process here. I have added a roof to the entire main mill complex, since I took this photo. The gray building in the rear hides part of the staging yard. The building will lift off for easy access to staging and turnouts. The rear building is a modified Walthers Rolling mill kit. The brick buildings are two Superior Paper Mills and two Bachman loco maintenance buildings combined.

Yes, that curve is really close to the edge! This is in a narrow closet, where I had to make a compromise and have the inside curved track at a 12.5" radius, instead of my minimum of 15" radius. The layout edge will be extended a couple of inches out into the room to prevent vertical mileage trips to the floor, although I have been running 60+ car trains through here for years without a derailment. The largest train I have run so far has been 128 cars, which yielded a train about 21 actual feet long. I like to run long trains like that around the continuous loop route, when I am working on structures or doing other things, to be sure the trackwork is smooth and derailment "resistant".

My actual train lengths will be about 30 to 40 cars, like the prototype. My passing sidings are sized to accommodate that length.

This is the 11' long closet where I have Sheffield Plastics, Schweitzer-Malduit, and the Mead Paper Co., plus staging. The center column acts as a scene divider, although I may build an industrial building around it to camoflage it a bit. I will also arc the fascia out and around the column from one end of the closet to the other. That will build in a buffer to prevent those vertical trips to the floor, and make the scene flow a bit smoother.I want to leave the closet structurally intact, for when we eventually move and have to sell the house.

Eric

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,286 Times in 3,655 Posts
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rather than extend the benchwork to create a derailment-catching ledge, what I am intending to do on my layout is to use scenic features like trees, bushes, line side poles, fences, etc. spaced at intervals of less than 3" right along the front edge. Most of my trees are twig-based armatures, but these can break, so I will make twisted-wire armatures instead. Fences and the like only need to stand up about 3/4" (scale 10 feet) to catch a car.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,927 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your layout is coming along really well. Your work on the buildings is great!
    I am enjoying reading your layout updates and photos, keep them coming.

Paul

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BNSF AZ For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,671 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess I have been under a rock..... Can't believe I have not seen this thread.

Super work, great prototype looking industry and well documented for us! Thanks for sharing.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of those Michael Rose LED boards in the closet would really brighten up that area. At least by the photos, the closet seems to be a light suck so a little lighting in the closet would really help balance out the room as a whole. At least from this poster's view point. Regardless, really nice work and enjoy the pics you are sending.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thanks and a progress update.

Quote Originally Posted by dave68124 View Post
    A couple of those Michael Rose LED boards in the closet would really brighten up that area. At least by the photos, the closet seems to be a light suck so a little lighting in the closet would really help balance out the room as a whole. At least from this poster's view point. Regardless, really nice work and enjoy the pics you are sending.

Good suggestion Dave. I have LED ribbon lights at home and have been experimenting with them. I had originally just placed 18" flourescent fixtures in the closet to have a work light. I think a blend of the daylight and warm white LED strips will yield a light "temperature/color" is will be happy with. I'll figure out the lighting before I start scenery in that closet section. My big push now is to finalize the footprint and basic structures for all of my industries, permanently affix and wire the industry trackage, then install all of my (50+) servos for turnout control. Once that is done, will come track painting, ballasting, scenery and building paint & detailing.

I have done some more structure work, including a completely new building for Pharmco ( Ethanol based pharmaceuticals and food extracts/flavorings), and replacing the Walthers Rolling Mill stand-in at Specialty Minerals with a huge cement block building with a rounded (quanset hut shaped) roof. I'll post photos of those new buildings as they hopefully progress this weekend. I still need to build a ton of silos and conveyors for Specialty Minerals.

Eric

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New structure progress

I have done some more work on structures, since last weekend. Here are a couple of more progress shots. Again, my goal is to block out the basic structures, so I can finalize track placement. All of the structures will require painting, extensive detailing and weathering.

This is the new "Pharmco" building. This company makes ethanol based pharmaceuticals as well as flavorings for the food industry at the actual plant. The office addition is not attached to the main building yet.

Here are a couple of work in progress shots of Specialty Minerals, in Canaan. I replaced the temporary placeholder for the curved roof building. I still need to add the roof. Note the windows are only taped in place temporarily. I'll glaze them and attach them after I paint the structure. I am including a photo of the prototype building for reference.

I am not trying to make exact duplicates, but I want to capture the basic character of these unique structures.

Specialty's Crusher and scalehouse building. I still need to add the bump out over the two storage silos on the side of the building.

Eric

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,686 Times in 2,810 Posts
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Very nice Eric!
    Love seeing the progress, especially on the buildings. Your layout has been an inspiration since I stumbled across it.
    Thank you for sharing...
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now if you can transfer the "Dow" stamp on your foam to the front of your Pharmco building. Thinking grass in the black and rocks for the letters.

Being a bit of tongue and check of course, but I did a double take on your pics as I thought you had stenciled out "Dow" in front of the building until I realized it was the stamping on the foam board.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by POMPERAUGRR View Post
    I want to capture the basic character of these unique structures.
    Capture! I'll say you captured the essence of the buildings nah you got them right on the money!
    Yours,

Gene

30. The Following User Says Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a chance to do a few small projects over the weekend on Specialty Minerals. I am beginning to build conveyors, crushed limestome loading bins, and a truck scale. Covers on the conveyor are just placed and not glued. I will paint, weather and place limestone on the belts before attaching the curved covers.

Truck scale. Needs paint and weathering.

Weathered the bridge shoes on the three span crossing of the Housatonic River, in New Milford.

That was it for this weekend.

Eric

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Eric, this just keeps getting better and better
    Yours,

Gene

34. The Following User Says Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 842 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did you make/Where did you get the plumbing in the unloading/loading shed for Pharmco?
    Creating new towns out of thin air.
    My build thread, the Aylesbury Branch

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimil View Post
    How did you make/Where did you get the plumbing in the unloading/loading shed for Pharmco?
    It is a section of piping I used from a Walthers North Island Refinery kit. The kit is a great source of detail parts, like the piping, ladders, railings, etc. Right now it is fresh out of the box and just propped against the wall. Once I paint and detail the building, there will be unloading hose connections and control stands for the pumping system. The piping will be on a concrete base and detailed better.

One more unlikely parts source. The orange columns and beams on the Pharmco unloading shed are made from a Walthers MiJack container crane sides. I cut the kit apart and used it here, since the detail for the column footings was so nice. The shed roof is half of a roof section from a Micro Engineering engine shed kit. I purchased a number of various kits over the years, on sale, figuring the components would be useful in other projects, rather than building the kits as intended by the manufacturer.

Eric

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post: