Thread: I got 99 turnouts but a curve ain't one! Baro's Layout Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 3,977 Times in 966 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I got 99 turnouts but a curve ain't one! Baro's Layout Thread

I like this yard better than the previous.
    Though the runaround will get double duty for sorting and for servicing all the industries.

I'd connect the black siding behind the "foreground industry" back to the main just before the station siding returns.
    Will give you a few more options when running trains through (and back out from the waterfront).

I still think the waterfront lead should come in front of the mountain (which really should be buildings)(or a building as transition).

And I still think curved turnouts would really improve the flow

2. The Following User Says Thank You to M.C. Fujiwara For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,814 Times in 3,217 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curved turnouts
    Can't really have track or anything in front of the mountain. Need it to have a nice flat front for the removable panel to clean/service the tram loop and 2 tunnels. Like, you open it up and it's a big-ol cave in there with plenty of room for hands and tools and what not.

Been working on benchwork plan and figuring out where all my bullfrogs and such will go. Might have to get a bunch of tadpoles to keep everything tidy.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use a bit of "open-grid" benchwork and you'll have all the access you'll need from under the layout.
    I'd think you'd want to keep the depth of a shelf layout more on the thin side.

And move all this stuff to your construction thread so it'll all be in one place!

[whispers: ...cuuuurrrrrvvvveeeed tuuuuurrrnnnoouuuts.... ...cuuuurrrrrvvvveeeed tuuuuurrrnnnoouuuts....]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to M.C. Fujiwara For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I got 99 turnouts but a curve ain't one! Baro's Layout Thread

Just thought I'd start a proper organized thread for everything about this new layout! It's still in the planning stage, but I've started to gather up supplies and even build the helix.
    The best part? The room doesn't even exist! The layout is being designed for a TYPICAL 10x10 bedroom for a potential condo I might be buying later this year. Ridiculous? Maybe!

Anyways, here is the latest version of the layout. Yes I know many things could be improved via curved turnouts but at my skill level (can't even solder) that's out of the question
    There is a lower deck as well but it's not finished enough!

Screen shot 2012-05-07 at 3.17.04 PM.png
    Here is a benchwork plan I'm working on (and not confident about). The little lines represent bullfrog control rods!
    The upper left corner is 30" wide and it tapers down to about a foot. I'm slightly concerned about stability but I think with a big strong steel L bracket under each joist I'll be ok. I'd really prefer not to have any support legs coming down from the upper deck and blocking views of the lower deck. The upper deck will be at about elbow height, while the lower deck will be at about waist height. I know this is unconventional but I want the upper (primary) deck to be low enough for view and ease-of-use reasons, and the lower deck to be comfortable to work on sitting on a pillow on the floor. I've got a cross-section included in the top right corner of the bench plan. I might need to space them out more but uhhhggg helixes....
    I also want to mount some lights between the joists of the upper deck so the lower deck isn't a dark cave.

And here is a very basic idea for the lower deck:
    Screen shot 2012-05-07 at 3.33.29 PM.png

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to baronjutter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So here's some realism questions for you guys!
    I think I want the big bottom industry to be a furniture or some sort of huge wood-working factory. I think I'm safe having an out-going track full of box-cars, but how would they receive their lumber? Would lumber on a center-beam need a loading dock, or just a big open area on both sides for forklifts to unload? Or could they get their wood another way?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not recieve wood in boxcars too? If the factory is say, a furniture factory, they would receive high quality hardwoods which presumably would need more care in transport (boxcars) than say, a truss factory which would receive common lumber (open cars). Not sure what era your layout is, but prior to centerbeams lots of lumber was shipped in boxcars or on flats if it were too long, so even a truss factory could recieve boxcars in the right era... Trusses make neat car loads outgoing in open gons or flats too....
    "Do Not Hump!?!?! Does that mean what I think it means?!?"--Michelle Blanchard

"People saw wood and say nothing, but railroad men saw trains and say things that are better left unprinted."--Charles De Lano Hine

Down with UP

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol this has got the best thread title ever, wow trains & jay-z who would ever guess.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Era is modern or future. maybe July of 2013!

Oshawa, Canada but proud to be born and raised in Brisbane, Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curved turnouts are the shizzle!
    "God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts!" (appeared on the sign outside our Pentecostal church)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel bad for you, son...

I'm not sure what's more funny: the title, or that I'm credited as the "author" of the thread.
    Guess I'm the real M.C.

Wait: you want the big bottom industry to take wood loads?
    Why am I having clips of This is Spinal Tap run through my head?

Seriously, a furniture factory is a great industry that you can make as large or small as you want, both in terms of loads / cars or size of structure(s), from nice massive buildings to flats.
    A paper mill is a good multiple/various carload industry as well.
    I'm partial to breweries, myself.

Will be interesting to see where you go with this (even without the curved turnouts, of which Peco and Atlas both make).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well this layout is set in BC in the middle of forestry country. My island's railway is pretty much dead, but a small portion still functions moving tank cars and lumber loads around. In fact some of the only real industry here are lumber mills. I know we don't really move LOGS around anymore, but I figure a costal city between Nanaimo and Vancouver (you may say there's no land there, but in fact there's a large uncharted island!) would have a lot of lumber moving around. So I'd love to model something where "raw materials" comes in one track and "goods" goes out another track.

I youtubed what I could for centre-beam cars geting unloaded and it looks like they just pull up anywhere forklifts take the wrapped lumber or what ever off. Is that what a large industry would do as well, or would they have some larger operation?

I guess my question is: would it be best to just be a big open paved/gravel area with stacks of lumber and some fork lifts, or would a loading dock type set up work too? Maybe a double-sided loading dock?
    It's hard for me to model things realistically because we don't really have industry or railways where I live.

Also seeing a 9 year old kid solder stuff together like a pro has made me really want to step up my soldering game. I also the Fujiwara family uses that cool technique where you spin twine fibers between two wires and wanted to do it my self (in fact I planned to last year) and just spend the last TWO HOURS absolutely tearing apart my layout area, workshop, and even kitchen (???) in utter desperation and frustration...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,046 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. Fujiwara View Post
    I'm not sure what's more funny: the title, or that I'm credited as the "author" of the thread.
    The first three posts in this thread were moved from another thread and were merged in, in chronological order, and since your post was originally made before all the others, you get to be the thread's creator! Quite logical, really!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,097 Times in 4,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

baronjutter, just remember this is a hobby - not a race. Have fun and enjoy the scenery along the way! I do have to agree with you that I was blown away with a 9 yr old with such skills!
    Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

Thanks
    Thanked 7,863 Times in 4,500 Posts
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Curved turnouts are offered by every major track manufacturer. No need to worry about soldering.

Besides you did not see that the child was given a soldering iron at birth and trained with methods not spoken of in polite society. MC is easy on the kids though. He had to produce a completed layout each month before he was born.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just bought my first DCC system and my local hobby shop guy is going to give me a free decoder for my mp15 (that had its decoder stolen! that still enrages me!) for me to try to install my self. He thinks I can do it.

I also tried to make some drill and wire trees... they uhhh didn't turn out so well. I'll take pictures soon. I need to buy some proper M.C.-Approved foliage and build a little jig or something...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,936 Times in 5,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MP15 is a drop-in... should be OK, but if you run into any trouble, we'll be here.

My drill and wire trees didn't come out very M.C.-eriffic either, but I guess it's just about practice, practice, practice...
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My DC15 has a custom strobe on the roof. The story of that loco is a saga. But the short version is that I bought it 2nd hand knowing it was a custom super detailed DCC version with a high end decoder and I was promised it would work on my DC track. It didn't work on my track but was told it just needed to be programmed so I took it back to the store and he had a friend who did DCC installs for him who was going to take it and program it. Train came back without the decoder and was badly wired to run (backwards) on DC. Installer claimed it never had a chip, shop owner and him had a falling out over it and no longer do business anymore. I'm still out a decoder. But the shop owner has a sort of IOU going and the next compatible decoder he comes across he'll give to me free of charge.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,097 Times in 4,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
    I also tried to make some drill and wire trees...
    take a look at my second generation scrub pad trees. I too failed miserably at the twisted wire trees but the scrub pads are easy but a bit more time consuming.
    Edit:https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...ng-Pad-Conifer

page to #17

Also, admins the quote is not from TD?????
    Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

22. The Following User Says Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made a bunch of twine and wire trees and they turned out nice finally!!!

I also totally demolished my old layout. It was sad but had to be done...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NEW TABLE !!!!!

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to baronjutter For This Useful Post: