Thread: How Do I Replace Rapido Coupler With Another Rapido Coupler?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How Do I Replace Rapido Coupler With Another Rapido Coupler?

As you can tell by my question, this is my first post here.

I haven't run model trains in many years. I became interested again after a number of years playing the various computer train simulators, i.e. MSTS, TS2012, and Trainz.

I just purchased a Life Like BL-2 on e-bay. The number stampled on the bottom is 167 94, so if anyone can decipher, please do.

The engine has no couplers, so I want to replace with new ones. I've been reading about Rapido vs. the new and improved couplers, but as this point I want to keep it simple. From the pictures I've seen of the Life Like BL-2, it appears to have had Rapido couplers when new.

If there's an illustrated step by step on this, I'd appreciate a link. Do I simply get a new Rapido coupler, and push it into the spring?

If needed, I can upload a photo.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Robert

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,899 Times in 817 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to Nscale.net. The answer to your question is, yes, it's just about as simple as that. If the spring is still there, the coupler shank needs to be pushed against the springs at about a 90 degree angle and carefully twisted into position. I can't think of a place on the net where this is illustrated but, it is easy to figure out. Good luck.
    Dick,

Usually, when all is said and done, there's a lot more said than done!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can find a set of instructions for the microtrains t-shank coupler then you can follow those for some help.

Cheers,
    Craig

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,387 Times in 3,685 Posts
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, let me just say that in terms of keeping things simple, I think you might find that you have more options when purchasing other rolling stock if you went with a knuckle coupler, as most manufacturers have migrated over to "Micro-Trains-compatible" as a standard. At least, this is true for American prototypes; I think the Europeans are still happy with Rapidos. I guess there's still plenty of older cars to be found on eBay and at train shows, but I think for anyone just starting out today, it will be far easier to acquire knuckle-equipped cars.

That said, if you do get your hands on equipment that you wish had Rapido couplers instead of knuckles, there's lots of folks like me who have been going to lengths to swap out couplers and/or trucks on older cars to get them to a certain standard. Thus, you might find someone like me who is willing to part with a bunch of excess Rapido couplers / trucks, for basically just the cost of shipping.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/