Thread: NSNx Travelling Tank Photo Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 342 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a lengthy wait.....here's part 3:

After an overnight stay in the steam shed Monday night, NSNX #5 got to work Tuesday morning, with a surprise at the throttle. Our friend Hubert Hoehandle , from NSNX 2011, came down from Maine for a visit. Before steaming away to do the yard work, Hubert told me he left the owner of the Danville & Rigby Junction RR in charge, since Hiram is stuck on the traveling business car somewhere. I told him he's welcome to stay for the duration of #5's stay.

Hubert got started immediately in the yard, sorting out cars for the morning local, which #5 was assigned to run.

DSCF1037.jpgDSCF1038.jpgDSCF1039.jpgDSCF1040.jpgDSCF1041.jpgDSCF1042.jpg

With the train organized and the Reading gondola placed with the MoW equipment, Hubert got #5 coupled up to the Walton Branch local. With all air hoses hooked up & a FRED tagged on the end, WB1 set off.

to be continued in Part 2 of Part 3.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With #5 on it's way down the Wabash Branch, I hi-tailed it to Milepost 17 for photos.

Again, there was another lego-ish tunnel, but this one actually fit on the branch, as there is rumored to be a road extension to be built over the line.

Waited 5 minutes before hearing a Shave & Haircut on #5's whistle & knew Hubert was having some fun.

Saw the light in the tunnel & waited for part of the train to be clear of the tunnel before the photos began.
    DSCF1043.jpgDSCF1044.jpg

Then, the unthinkable happened. Hubert suddenly applied the breaks & threw #5 in reverse. I soon saw why, but it was too late.........
    DSCF1046.jpgDSCF1047.jpg

Needless to say, I had it with the Branch MoW crew & had plans to see which member(s) needed fired. I called in for the crane & a gondola to load #5 onto, if needed.

The leased Ex-UP Crane from my dad's railroad was brought in along with the WVRR's ex-Reading gondola & INRD #9005 pushing the other two.

DSCF1049.jpgDSCF1050.jpg

Upon further inspection, Hubert informed me that all 3 axles on #5 needed either repaired or replaced, which had me calling the steam shop right away to tell them "All hands on deck!" After that call, I gave the order to have #5 loaded onto the gondola.
    DSCF1052.jpgDSCF1053.jpgDSCF1055.jpg

Part 3 to be concluded.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

conclusion to part 3.

After hurrying to the Logansport steam shop, I told the boys there to make sure they had every man available to take car of #5's repairs. Didn't take 9005 & the hospital train long to get there, thankfully.

9005 quickly set to work getting #5 into the shop stalls. 779 was out in the sunlight to be inspected by a couple fellows interested in repairing her, if she can be repaired. One gentleman was from the Fort Wanye Railroad Historical Society, where one of 779's sisters, 765, is located. The other was a representative from the D&RJRR in Maine. As you can see, she got her siderods really messed up.
    DSCF1061.jpg

As of 6PM tonight, #5's repairs are almost complete.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part 4:

NSNX #5's axles are repaired, which meant she could finish out her job on the WVRR before moving on to another railroad. Here, she is seen with 779 in the shed.
    DSCF1156.jpg

With repairs complete, Hubert wasted no time testing her new axles out, with a short mixed train on the Wabash Branch.
    DSCF1157.jpgDSCF1158.jpgDSCF1161.jpgDSCF1162.jpg

More to come.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd half of part 4:

After a successful test run, I ordered #5 back on yard duty & L1.
    DSCF1166.jpgDSCF1167.jpgDSCF1168.jpgDSCF1169.jpgDSCF1170.jpgDSCF1171.jpgDSCF1172.jpg

#5 came back toward Ellison Yard in the afternoon, with fewer cars & cab-first.
    DSCF1173.jpgDSCF1176.jpg

If I can, I'll try to catch #5 as she's being sent on her way to the next stop on her tour.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,868 Times in 5,375 Posts
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't help watching this little engine without thinking "Thomas..."

Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TwinDad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the Christmas rush on the WVRR, myself & the rest of the railroad management decided to keep #5 here until Christmas is over, to avoid anymore 'incidents' as she travels. Hubert had to get back to Maine & left a note, in the best writing he could without including his accent in the writing. hehehe

Mr. Ellison,

Thank you, once again, for your hospitality on the Wabash Valley RR. I really enjoyed working with NSNX #5 on your railroad & wish the holiday rush on the D&RJ wasn't calling me home, just yet. But, I had too with Hiram still stuck with the business car, somewhere on the other side of the world. Also, if you need anything just send me a message or give me a phone call, alright?

Sincerely,

Hubert Hoehandle
    Danville & Rigby Junction Fill-In Yard Master

PS- I hear that you'll be sendin' your Berkshire here to the D&RJ for repairs. I guess you shoulda hired some folks to help you do it there, eh?

Right after I read & peplied to Hubert's message, I get a phone call from the yard master saying that #5 was missing. Went to the steam shed & #5 was there, resting with 779. I looked angrily at the yard master and these were the following events:

Me: "Just what kind of joke are you playing at?!!?!?!?!"

Rich (Yard Master): "I-I....I don't understand! It wasn't here when I looked a 15 minutes ago!"

Me: "You must be going blind! #5's been here since her daily duties were complete!"

Just then I heard a sound I seen a report about in the Altoona, PA area by the owner of the PRR when NSNX 2010 was there.

"WHOOMP"

We looked & #5 was gone. My hand radio suddenly came alive with a report of #5 being on the Wabash Branch in the way of the daily commuter run, which had stopped in time.

Once again, we heard "WHOOMP" & #5 was back.

I called a friend at the PRR & told him what had happened. He told me that the same mystery happened with NSNX 2010, it's caboose compainion & GP7 2012 when they were there and that they were clueless as to what happened. With no answers, I ordered #5 to be kept on a close watch until we could send her off to the next stop on her tour.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#5 is on her way to Florida. During her extended holiday stay on the WVRR, she continued to aid in the local operations & yard duties, with various engineers at the throttle.

I hope Stixx can come up with a good story to out-do mine, because I think he can.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the rumors have finally come true, Engine #5 has finally arrived. Unfortunately due to circumstances out of the control of the yard master it has been forced to sit in a holding yard outside the valley until the main line is repaired. Completion of the rails is scheduled for Sunday evening, as long as everything goes as scheduled we should see #5 late Monday afternoon. We will keep everyone posted for photo ops and visits throughout the tour.
    Andrew Bredestege

GO NAVY!!!!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stixxx79 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Good News from ACAA Valley

Okay, over a short weekend and good weather the temporary mainline into the valley was completed to allow Engine #5 to complete the journey from Indiana. Eager awaiting her arrival the yardmaster gave a quick to do list. Ensuring the crew was well rested, they stayed overnight outside the valley at a small, homey, "mom and pop" bed and breakfast, they were ready for their "chores."
    First thing to do was to assist with the transport of tracks to finish the mainline.
    As you can see the B&O's National Limited is sitting on the connecting line waiting to depart, Washington DC is waiting on her.
    Andrew Bredestege

GO NAVY!!!!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stixxx79 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Later in the afternoon as the National Limited was finally cleared out of town #5 was tasked with picking up the slack for the SW9 that had been damaged in a minor accident this morning. The yardmaster sent the orders down to bring her into the freight yard so we could finish loading the coal into the 3-bay hoppers and get them out of town. Big city has been on our case for the past few days since the storm knocked out the tracks and we couldn't get our coal out of the valley. The corporate headquarters is ecstatic to know that the E-8 is powering up to run the black snake through the mountains and get the consumers off their backs. My buddy from across the way was kind enough to fly over in his crop duster and get the amazing overhead photo. The final shot in this segment is the powerful E-8 pounding the rails out of town.
    Andrew Bredestege

GO NAVY!!!!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stixxx79 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As we all watched the coal train leave town the yardmaster called over the radio, thanking the crew for their help and glad they arrived when they did. One last thing if they didn't mind before letting them go for the day. With the unexpected events of the day with the SW9 there is no locomotive to stage the local passenger train. The J3a was late getting to the coaling tower due to the hoppers behind schedule so we need to expedite so the loco can hook up and take off and possibly make an on time departure. With the, the crew manned up and beat steel to the other side of town and quickly got the orders to build the local passenger train. With this complete the yardmaster was again very thankful #5 has arrived when she did. As of right now nothing on the books for tomorrow so relax and enjoy the valley until your next set of orders comes in.
    Andrew Bredestege

GO NAVY!!!!

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stixxx79 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the delay on #5. One of the crew came down with the bug and another had fallen and gotten a knee injury. After several hospital runs and doctor's visits a brace was put on the crewmember's knee and crutches were issued. Doctor said she's gonna be on crutches for a few months and to not put wait on the leg. The other one is doing well and with a few meds is gonna be fine as well. Again very sorry for the delay I would expect #5 to continue the journey and be headed North by mid week. I hope this issue does not cause ACAA Valley to be removed from the list for future visits of any sort.
    Andrew Bredestege

GO NAVY!!!!

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stixxx79 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,282 Times in 2,666 Posts
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rumor has it #5 is headed north to its final resting place, will there be a party? A welcoming committee perhaps?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About time we heard something about it.
    James Ellison
    Owner and CEO of the Wabash & Eel River Railway

"The Wabash & Eel River Railway: Midwestern railroading at it's finest."

Check out the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Wabash-Eel-River-Railway-300988740552361/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just shy of a year later #5 arrives at the BRS via the NSN interchange
    2013-06-10 19.40.22.jpg
    Here we see it comfortably parked with the other BRS locomotives.

IMG_3779.jpg

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The men and women of the Wabash Valley Railroad are happy that #5 visited our rails on her journey.
    James Ellison
    Owner and CEO of the Wabash & Eel River Railway

"The Wabash & Eel River Railway: Midwestern railroading at it's finest."

Check out the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Wabash-Eel-River-Railway-300988740552361/

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Six months later and after a well deserved rest #5 gets pressed back into service.... the BRRR needed an engine short enough to maneuver a gondola off the turn-table under the new ash conveyor:

2014-01-12 19.33.12.jpg

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post: