Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New to N scale - trying to find locomotives

Hello all,

I am new to N scale and I'm trying to find out how the diesel manufacturer market works. Coming from HO scale, there were a lot of options readily available, but this doesn't appear to be the case for N. Most of the manufacturers (Atlas, Athearn) seem to be "out of stock" on their websites. There are several locomotives in particular paint schemes I'd like to get, but finding them is a challenge.

Do Atlas, etc only make limited batches at certain times? Or do they produce products with the idea they are only limited time offerings? I don't plan on amassing a huge fleet, but it would be nice to pick up a locomotive or two that I find interesting. I was mainly looking for Chessie System diesels like the GP9, 30, 35, 38, 40, or maybe an SD40 or 50. '

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I shop at nscalesupply.com. They have good stock. Atlas always changes roadnames every so often.
    " Its a whatle?!I think, a Diseaseal!" Bill and Ben, Thomas and Friends

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSXT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your looking at Atlas and Athearn websites, then its not surprising that your finding things "out-of-stock". This is because many manufacturers of n scale loco's were thrown for a loop when their chinese contract manufacturer stopped producing for them. Those 2 companies were particularly impacted.

But if you check some of the retailer web sites like Trainworld, blwnscale, mbklein, etc.. you should find some chessi system loco's. I did a quick search and found gp 30, 35, and u23b all in chessie system schemes available. You may also find some of these at your local well stocked train dealer.

Certainly the N scale market is no where near the size of the (name that must not be spoken) market, and as such the manufacturers tend to limit production sizes. But a lot of the strife today is from getting the contract manufacturers back on track. I suspect the market for used loco's might get better for the short term while things get ironed out.

Cheers
    Craig

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccaranna View Post
    Do Atlas, etc only make limited batches at certain times? Or do they produce products with the idea they are only limited time offerings?
    Atlas uses the preorder system. Which is the same system they use in HO.

This way they are not sitting on stock for years and years with no buyers. As CSXT mentioned, they do new runs, and popular names are often repeated. Also you can see if Atlas has done a unit in a past run, and if so, hope to get one on the used market.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 636 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccaranna View Post
    I am new to N scale and I'm trying to find out how the diesel manufacturer market works.
    We've been trying to figure it out too! If you find out let us know, because it sure seems a mystery sometimes You'd think there'd be a few staples of the inventory that would always be available but that doesn't seem to be the case. Just about everything now days is pre-order, if you see your stuff announced order it or buy it shortly after it becomes available. Nobody likes it but it keeps the importers heads above water and we've learned to live with it. The major online retailers often sell out quickly when new products finally come in. You can still often find new stock of older items at actual hobby shops though. Depending on what's considered popular in the area of the shop the stock may be pretty well picked over but you never know. There's also lots of NOS and gently used things on that auction site too. N Scale Yard Sale is a good place to look, as is the for sale section here. Also never hurts to post wanted ads for specific items, people hoard trains like anything else and somebody might have what you want just sitting around.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modeltrainstuff.com has great great deals on stuff, and their customer support is par none!

What country, era, etc are you wanting to model?
    :P42171L::SUP2T::SUP2C::SUP2L:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blade3562 just beat me, I was going to say have a look at Modeltrainstuff.com as well. I have purchased off of them about 5 times in the last 18 months and have never had a problem. You can see what stock they have before placing an order and delivery to Australia has been 7 to 10 days on average so you being in the US should be even faster
    Steve A

(If you can't laugh, you might as well be dead!)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 2,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modeltrainstuff.com ( MBKlein ), Fifer, Nsaclesupply, WigWag and don't forget Ebay is where you buy your rolling stock and engines, buying directly from the manufaturers ( when they have stock ) will have you paying 20 to 30% more then buying from a retailer.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for the replies, this is very helpful. Much appreciated!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N scale yard sale....a yahoo group....is another great place to pick up equipment.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NScaleYardSale/messages

lombard hobby also has a good selection with competitive pricing. Lombardhobby.com.
    The Union Pacific.....Building America.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 229 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heres Ebays N Chessie System auctions.
    Read each listing for N as for some unknown reason Ebays N auctions will also have some Lionel and HO items mixed in.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...em+&_sacat=479

Ernie

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UP4-8-8-4 View Post
    Read each listing for N as for some unknown reason Ebays N auctions will also have some Lionel and HO items mixed in.
    People don't always list the cars in the correct categories. I've seen it often, gets annoying sometimes.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same problem as you.

Because I live in Thailand and find new locomotive is very difficult.

I need to buy the internet and most of ebay.

I do not have much choice. I would most like to buy Kato, Atlas and Spectrum.

You can view the results of my model here.
    http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gall...ser-index.html

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,866 Times in 5,375 Posts
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll make a couple of other suggestions in addition to those already mentioned for places to find them. First YardSaleTrains.com usually has a fair selection of locos... though the eastern roads tend to seem a bit thin. He's reselling estates and bought-out retailers, so the inventory is catch-as-you-can. But a solid place to shop.

I'd also be sure to check out Brooklyn Locomotive Works (www.blwnscale.com). Pete's usually got a pretty good selection in stock.

If you're looking on eBay, look up TheFavoriteSpot.

And you might check Tex-N-Rails. (www.texnrails.com). I don't have enough transaction experience on this one to make it a solid recommendation, but I did buy one loco off him and it went well. And he seems to have something of a selection of locos that other places may not.

You might also check Feather River Trains, Caboose Hobbies, or -- if all else fails -- Walthers.
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooklyn Locomotive Works and modeltrainstuff.com (M.B. Klein's) are two of the best site to visit when it comes to shopping for rolling stock and locomotives. Can't go wrong with either, there are others too, like fifer hobby.
    Capn Vic

Riding the NS B line from Manassas.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 229 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get most of my engines from Pete at BLW as well as M.B.Klein.
    One thing I really like about Fifer Hobbys is he carrys many super detail parts as well as brass detail parts for diesels.
    He can also order other brass engine detail parts that he hasn't listed. He just sent me two brass detail parts for steamers, much cheaper than anywhere else I found them as well as very cheap shipping !

Ernie

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kalbert View Post
    We've been trying to figure it out too! If you find out let us know, because it sure seems a mystery sometimes
    Its a preorder system, they make what is ordered. If not enough orders are received, its cancelled, Intermountain does this often...

With preorders, manufacturers are not sitting on warehouses full of stock for years being everything they make already has a buyer when its made.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 571 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ike the BN Freak View Post
    Its a preorder system, they make what is ordered. If not enough orders are received, its cancelled.
    That explains why some projected locos are never made. But it doesn't explain why certain roadnames hardly ever get represented even for pre-order. For some of them you can't even say "the manufacturers figured out they aren't popular roadnames" because most of the time they haven't even tried to offer them up and see if anyone bites.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 518 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check this out 2 Chessie locos with decoders . If you want Chessie they are not that hard to find.
    http://www.nscalesupply.com/pon/Preowned.aspx

I buy form here often.
    Sexiest fat man alive.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 4,401 Posts
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nattapon View Post
    I have the same problem as you.

Because I live in Thailand and find new locomotive is very difficult.

I need to buy the internet and most of ebay.

I do not have much choice. I would most like to buy Kato, Atlas and Spectrum.
    Since you are on that side of the Pacific Ocean consider Hobby Search Japan as a supplier. They sell equipment from all over the world and have a great product announcement newsletter and preorder/back order system. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/rail/

I order quite regularly from them for my traction needs. Express shipping can be expensive but I get my stuff in less than six days, two to three of them it sits in customs. I'm on the SE U.S.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.