Thread: What is a reasonable price to paint and decal a loco?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What is a reasonable price to paint and decal a loco?

I have an unpainted/undecorated Atlas dash 8. I ran into a guy at a show a few weeks back that is part of the local NTrak club that paints and weathers loco's, rolling stock, and buildings. His work was good. I contacted him tonight to see how much he'd charge to paint my dash 8 black and add some decals from Oddball Decals. He said he'd have to see the engine and the decals to see how much masking and such but gave me a ballpark.

The decals I will be getting aren't for the dash 8 but for an SD9, so there will need to be some decal configuring I'd imagine.

What do you all think would be a fair price to pay for this work?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have multiple colors compound curves and or stripes forget about it you may as well give him your first born lol. But seriously it depends on how complex the job is. How much would Van Gogh charged to paint the sistane chapel who knows. These are just guidelines why dont you shop around and see what people are charging for the kind of work you want done. I'd pay half up front and the rest on delivery, ask to see photos of the work as he/she progresses

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"cost is only an issue in the absence of value"

That price would differ for each of us. IMHO, only you can determine how much it is worth to you. There is a range of which at some point you will not be willing to go...

Other considerations: Do you have a skill or an item to offer in trade? If happy with the work, will you be bringing him more? How long do you think it would take him and what would be a reasonable hourly rate? EX. If his total expected time working on it (not drying time or time in possession) is say, 3 hours, and you feel $10-15 an hour is reasonable for his skills, then I would hazard a guess at $30-45.00. If he brings a lot of value then your range will be higher...

Just spent 20 minutes thinking about this and probably offered very little help...

-Steve

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bamboozled: it is not a complex paint job as it is all one color, black. Where the time will come in is figuring how to place the decals as they are for an SD, not the dash 8. Although I wish for the decal scheme on the dash 8 to be some what close to the SD9 so the thinking about the scheme isn't like coming up with a fresh scheme. Of course since they are different locos, I know the decal scheme won't be exact, which is fine.

Jugtown: Good points. I know value is subjective . Asking him how long he expects the work time to take is a fine idea. Your 20 minute thoughts have offered some good insight, thank you.

Ooops, I see I have a mangled handrail issue.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naw, its ok once you re seat the stanchion pin in the hole.
    Capn Vic

Riding the NS B line from Manassas.