Thread: ARRRGH! Epic DCC Fail! [Solved!]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ARRRGH! Epic DCC Fail! [Solved!]

I warned you I'd be posting lots of clueless newbie questions...

Today I made an attempt to program my first loco address on my Kato ES44AC via my new Digitrax Zephyr Xtra.

I followed the directions from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMMGWNX6AsI

And programmed my own CV settings corresponding to loco #5515 (CV17 = 213; CV18 = 139; CV29 = 38).

...The loco did not respond to address 5515.

Okay then, I reset my TCS decoder using the CV8 = 08 reset command (following the directions here: http://ikm.digitrax.com/questions.php?questionid=846 ) and...

..Still no response. Loco does not respond to the default 03 Address.

[fits of screaming ensue]

Clearly I have failed in my first foray into DCC programming. I'm even starting to question my choice of the Digitrax Zephyr Xtra due to its cryptic programming interface (I've since learned that the NCE Power Cab is a bit more intuitive). I even consider myself a fairly technological kinda dude. Why oh why do I deserve the utter wrath of the DCC gods?

Please don't tell my I fried my little decoder...Now I have no train to run on DCC (I have two other decoders, but no Kapton tape, so no way to install them)

This is not turning out very well.
    Last edited by MetroRedLn; 9th Jan 2013 at 07:30 AM.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO the Digitrax system is very easy to use, I prefer mine over a NCE. Did you install the decoder? Did the loco operate before you tried to program it? Why not use the manual, it has step by step instructions on how to program a loco. Did you turn the track power back on?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rrjim1 View Post
    IMO the Digitrax system is very easy to use, I prefer mine over a NCE. Did you install the decoder? Did the loco operate before you tried to program it? Why not use the manual, it has step by step instructions on how to program a loco. Did you turn the track power back on?

Yes, I did all that, nothing worked. However, I eventually got it solved. I read the TCS decoder manual, and apparently the value for reset for CV 08 is "2" and not "8," which is what I previously programmed it to. Better yet, I finally successfully programmed the address! All is well in DCC-ville now

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations, you are on your way to becoming a DCC Jedi Master.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bc6 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your previous message about smoke...didn't see it obviously, but will definitely be on the look out for it! I went with TCS because a lot of modelers have told me they go with TCS for the price/performance value. I think I'll research the installation procedures first and buy the decoder that's the easiest to install

As for Jedi Master, not just yet hehe...I'm still trying to figure out the CV values for this light saber!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

bc6

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a PC located near your layout [even a fairly modest one at that], may I suggest you purchase a USB Locobuffer and the use the FREE JMRI Decoder Pro application to program your decoders.

It saves many a headache and you will wonder how you did without it once you use Decoder Pro to program your decoders.
    N Scaler - DownUnder

Digitrax - LocoIO - RR&CO Train Controller

Thanks
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Costas View Post
    If you have a PC located near your layout [even a fairly modest one at that], may I suggest you purchase a USB Locobuffer and the use the FREE JMRI Decoder Pro application to program your decoders.

It saves many a headache and you will wonder how you did without it once you use Decoder Pro to program your decoders.
    Yeah, a n HO scaler friend of mine showed me what JMRI could do. I was most blown away when he could contro turnouts with that thing.

I'm surprised that 13 years into this century and nearly 20 years into the DCC era, no manufacturer of DCC systems has ever put in a built-in USB jack in their products...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroRedLn View Post
    Thanks for your previous message about smoke...didn't see it obviously, but will definitely be on the look out for it! I went with TCS because a lot of modelers have told me they go with TCS for the price/performance value. I think I'll research the installation procedures first and buy the decoder that's the easiest to install
    I use both TCS and Digitrax, I don't see any performance difference between them, price wise I can purchase Digitrax decoders much cheaper!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Like your shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by MetroRedLn View Post
    Yes, I did all that, nothing worked. However, I eventually got it solved. I read the TCS decoder manual, and apparently the value for reset for CV 08 is "2" and not "8," which is what I previously programmed it to. Better yet, I finally successfully programmed the address! All is well in DCC-ville now

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps0e1e7fd7.jpg
    I like the way you set this up using a shelf which can be pushed underneath. Is the length of track for programming? Could you tell me what the unit on the right is for? Does it give you voltages or amps?

Thanks.
    Charlie Hoens,
    Princeton, NJ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choens View Post
    I like the way you set this up using a shelf which can be pushed underneath. Is the length of track for programming? Could you tell me what the unit on the right is for? Does it give you voltages or amps?

Thanks.
    Yes, it's a rollaway desk shelf for computer keyboards. Fry's Electronics sells it. Someone on this or another forum mentioned they used the same thing on their layout so while I was building mine I used that idea.

The unit on the right (lol) isn't an exotic voltage metering device...it's an MRC Tech 3 Power Command 9500 DC power pack! It was my previous throttle. I still have it there because the Digitrax Zephyr can have a DC pack hooked up to it as an extra throttle. Also, I plan to use it to power accessories, so it's not entirely obsolete!