Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beginnings of the G-Shaped Pacific NW Layout

Vince P Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2013 View Post
    Awesome! Thank you Green Machine, this will be a great wee detail to place on the layout somewhere ... ... ... And another excuse to drive northwards this summer, if it ever stops raining that is...
    okay moose if ya get out this way as your heading east you'll enter sultan cross the hwy bridge pass the main bn road crossig at the 2nd light you'l see a pizza joint the the sandwich shop on your left just ahead on your right is the log section and just past like 50ft there is a little road side park dontmiss the drive or you can park at the sandwich shop haven't been there in a long time food was good at that time.going further up the pass you have the original gn main now a state trail .aka iron goat trail with a genuine gn caboose don't forget to stop in sky lots of old turn of the century buildings hotel ect ect. glad to help

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vince P For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moose,

Nice work on the layout so far. Looking forward to seeing more progress photos. Don't worry about how long it is taking as long as you make progrress. Remember, taking your time now will save you headaches later.

Keep up the good work.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NDJim For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,858 Times in 5,552 Posts
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The hidden road bed and other things...

Finally managed to almost but not quite lay track on the the lower hidden turnaround loop on the first segment of the bench work...

I drilled systems penetration holes for routing bus wires, drilled mounting & related holes for a slow-mo switch machine, and installed the road bed for the loop and the related spur that will connect to a removable staging track.

In case anyone is wondering, I will be using a Circuitron Tortoise machine that will drive an Atlas #10 turnout. The frog will be wired for DCC power through the switch machine (once I understand how that works!). I used Liquid Nails for Projects as the adhesive.

I only banged my head once on the bench work but was continuously & deathly afraid I would drill out one of my eyes - I was using a 90 degree attachment on the drill, and it got a little trickular under the bench work. I really should have drilled holes before I fastened & glued the plywood down...

IMG_6606_SM.jpg
    = > ÷

~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..." "Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,026 Times in 3,557 Posts
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your benchwork looks professionally made Moose, superb.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,617 Times in 1,241 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janbouli View Post
    Your benchwork looks professionally made Moose, superb.
    I second that!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nskale For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you both!
    = > ÷

~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..." "Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Vince P Guest

okay Moosester any update on this puppy thought i'd check

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenMachine View Post
    okay Moosester any update on this puppy thought i'd check
    Nope ... We've been out of town the past several weeks and now that we're back, time needs to be spent on re-landscaping the backyard and finishing some remodeling work inside ... Why I ever agreed to multiple home improvement projects is beyond me - apparently women have special mind-control powers...
    = > ÷

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've stayed away from the layout for months while working on other projects, but ... a Bachmann diesel arrived today and last week a few Intermountain boxcars arrived, and I could resist the calls of the layout no-longer ... I hooked-up DC power to what little track I've laid thus far and let that diesel run!

There is evidence of some rough spots along the track. The turnout frog is not yet powered, so I kept the power pack at 80% to ensure the diesel wouldn't stall ... ... ... Ahhh, it was sooo nice to see the layout come alive!
    Diesel S-4 Bachmann SP pulling 3 NP Boxcars 081513.jpg
    MT&P Railroad News: Just delivered to the Mt Tahoma & Pacific RR today is this fine S-2 on loan from the Southern Pacific. This little guy's pulling three 1937 AAR Northern Pacific box cars just delivered last week.
    = > ÷

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Vince P Guest

that alco looks real good pulling those boxes moose

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Vince P For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 719 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hraka For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, my last note got me going! Yep, pulled out the Bachmann 44-tonner and the Life Like 2-8-8-2 Chesapeake along with some old Con-Cor passenger cars to how they all would fair...

And I was amazed at the performance of the 44-tonner! Holy snot! Low speed performance is quite good and its ability to cross the un-powered turnout frog at low speed without issue was a big surprise - the "S-2" (often mistaken for an S-4, ) did not perform as well there. Hopefully just a matter of breaking-'er in...

The Life-Like took some running back and forth before it would negotiate the turnout without stuttering. And does it ever look nice...

DCC Diesel 44 Tonner Bachmann Denver n Rio Grande 081513.jpg
    MT&P Railroad News: A D&RG switcher managed to get lost this week. Locals were laughing heartily down at the pub as the befuddled engineer stopped to ask for directions to Colorado Springs ... After downing more than a few pints, the engineer was on his way home. Strangely enough, hauling some local NP freight cars to Denver - the price he had to pay for getting directions...

DC Steam 2-8-8-2 Chesepeake Life Like UP 081513.jpg
    MT&P Railroad News: A Union Pacific Chesapeake came roaring through town with three NYC passenger cars in tow ... Everyone in town rolled their eyes as the UP engineers 'round these parts are well known for pulling pranks...
    = > ÷

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Mainline Grade Climbs Upwards and Onwards...

Finally managed to get something done on the layout today ... Reworked an area of the mainline turnaround loop so that the second and third segments of the layout table can actually separate when needed ... And then added risers to the mainline along the second and third segments. The grade is ~ 1.00 - 1.25% except the flat rectangular area which will hold a crossover between the two mainlines and 1-3 industry spurs.
    IMGP4208.jpgIMGP4219.jpg
    = > ÷

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to hraka For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Track Laid Past West Port...

Decided not to toil outside since Labor Day has granted me an extra day away from the office ... And so track was laid from the lower turn around loop past the west port ... The ole' "S-2" can be seen traversing one of the mainlines, checking for rough spots.
    S-2 Leaving West Port.jpgMainline heading upwards.jpgTurnaround Loop.jpg

The east & west mainlines (the east line is not finished, see lower left thumb tack), the west port siding (far right) and the beginnings of a branch line to the east port (see upper right thumb tack).
    West Port Spur and East Port Branchline.jpg

Note: I had intended to solder all of the track joints as I went along, but soldering skills allude me still. Does anyone one to teach me how to solder with some hands on tutoring? I've watched videos, read articles, read forum posts, upgraded to a Weller PES51, and all for not it seems...

Note: My new Bachmann 44-tonner is not working. Starts up at first, then stops as if it blew a fuse. After a minute or two, I can get it to go again, but then it stops. Over and over. It was working perfectly a few weeks ago ... Arrrggg...
    = > ÷

27. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skipgear has a post somehwhere on this forum about problems like what you describe on his 44 tonner and what he did to fix it.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to hraka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,124 Times in 3,545 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2013 View Post
    Does anyone one to teach me how to solder with some hands on tutoring?
    A hot iron of 25-40W or so, a clean shiny tip, 60/40 rosin core solder and a bit of flux will do the trick. Practice on a piece of scrap rail -- the solder should flow, not ball up -- and should become shiny as it cools.
    Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

"The number of model railroads I have seen covered with the dust of apathy is directly related to the number of modelers who told me that they weren't interested in operation." -- Tony Koester

Rule #1: The worst excuse for ignorance and complacency.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    A hot iron of 25-40W or so, a clean shiny tip, 60/40 rosin core solder and a bit of flux will do the trick. Practice on a piece of scrap rail -- the solder should flow, not ball up -- and should become shiny as it cools.
    If it balls up, what does that mean?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to hraka For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Whoops!

So I thought that today I start on the section that goes past the east port (or logging mill?) and up around the mountain...

Mainline Heading East.jpgMainline Heading Past East Port.jpgMainline Climbing the Lonely Mountain.jpg

Note: Okay, I'll give track soldering one my try. I'm thinking that perhaps I'm just not setting the new variable temp. soldering iron correctly because the solder should be flowing ... If I don't get anywhere, one of the many fine NScale members here has offered his assistance...

Note: One of Skipgear's posts mentioned a loose capacitor, so when I have time, I'll tear down the GE 44 and check... Thanks!
    = > ÷

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,124 Times in 3,545 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hraka View Post
    If it balls up, what does that mean?
    Usually a dirty surface on the work or an iron not quite hot enough. Flux helps with the former. And flux helps the solder flow as well!
    Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

"The number of model railroads I have seen covered with the dust of apathy is directly related to the number of modelers who told me that they weren't interested in operation." -- Tony Koester

Rule #1: The worst excuse for ignorance and complacency.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post: