Thread: The Little Rock Line

Thanks
    Thanked 8,691 Times in 2,810 Posts
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default The Little Rock Line

I just made my first post to the Weekend Update thread and realized I don't think I have ever introduced my layout.
    I know some of you have seen it before or have visited my blog. So instead of retyping everything, I thought I would just post a link to my first post on the blog and let you start there. It gives a good overview of what I wanted to achieve and a brief re-written history, then you can read through the rest of it via the archives:

http://thelittlerockline.blogspot.com/2008/08/plan.html

Here is the latest post that I posted in the Weekend Update:

http://thelittlerockline.blogspot.co...t-malvern.html

Now that I have a little scenery started [something picture worthy] with more in the works, I'll try and keep this thread fresh.

Thanks for looking...
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coming along very well. In your post A Cloudy Day in Malvern. I was wondering where you got thoses oil tanks from?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks,
    Those are the Walthers oil storage tanks from years ago when the North Island Refinery came out......back when they were still producing N scale kits.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3223

I've seen these tanks sell for over $40 on eBay a few months ago. A friend made some out of 3" and 4" PVP caps from the big box stores recently, turned out pretty good. The only thing that was missing was the curved stairs. I think Plastruct sells pointed and rounded domes that will fit PVP pipes that look pretty good.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,884 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can find PVC caps that have a flat top. Take some 1/4" masking tape and go around the tank at the very top. Using some dark weathering chalk color and a short haired stiff bristle brush apply the powder on the tape and drag it over the bottom edge just a little. Remove the tape and see the perfect line around the tank with weathered streaks running down from an imaginary seam. Take the tape and go down one step aligning the top of the tape with the previous chalk line. Don't press too hard or you'll pull a lot of the chalk off the tank. This is kind of a neat affect and if you don't like it.....wash it off. You might want to sand the PVC cap first with some 400 or 600 paper to rough it up so the chalk will stick better.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Whiteman View Post
    You can find PVC caps that have a flat top. Take some 1/4" masking tape and go around the tank at the very top. Using some dark weathering chalk color and a short haired stiff bristle brush apply the powder on the tape and drag it over the bottom edge just a little. Remove the tape and see the perfect line around the tank with weathered streaks running down from an imaginary seam. Take the tape and go down one step aligning the top of the tape with the previous chalk line. Don't press too hard or you'll pull a lot of the chalk off the tank. This is kind of a neat affect and if you don't like it.....wash it off. You might want to sand the PVC cap first with some 400 or 600 paper to rough it up so the chalk will stick better.
    Micheal that's a great idea and so simple! Thank you.

Those caps are exactly what my buddy used.

He had asked how to make the curved stairs like what the Walthers tanks had , I mentioned something about just using a straight vertical ladder, with or without a safety cage [the only thing that's missing]
    For the railing on top, I suppose you could insert some brass rods and then run some thread or EZline around to simulate the railing and wires?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,884 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the EZ line idea a lot with .010 brass wire for the posts. How simple is that. We got some good ideas Allen

Thanks
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like the EZ line idea a lot with .010 brass wire for the posts. How simple is that. We got some good ideas Allen

You betcha!
    This is what I love about these forums, the ability to share ideas and see what others have done and be able to interact with them.
    We have two groups here in town; our little N scale group and the main multi scale club.
    I have been involved with the main club on and off over the last 30 years [more off than on] and our group since 92'. I've learned more from the forums in the past 3 years and our N scale group than I ever have from main group.

So to you and everyone else on this forum....Thank you.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The ballast is all glued down in Malvern!

I've used two different colors of ballast to simulate the newer tracks at the W&OV's engine facility and where the junction was modified at Haskell. I'm planning to use an acrylic brown wash to see if I can tone the gray ballast down a bit.

This is the junction at Haskell, the rear track is the old third leg of the Wye where Frump Gas will be located. The right turnout was added to this leg of the Wye, the front track leads to the two sidings at Haskell, the other joins the main line. The left turnout leads to Malvern.

I've got all the concrete work laid in place, but still need to scribe and paint the pads at Heavy Metal before gluing them down.

Once this pad is in place, I can start turning things green and get some 3D added.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,904 Times in 901 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not start at the bottom?
    "Do Not Hump!?!?! Does that mean what I think it means?!?"--Michelle Blanchard

"People saw wood and say nothing, but railroad men saw trains and say things that are better left unprinted."--Charles De Lano Hine

Down with UP

Thanks
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Saturday, August 10th is set for the next ops session!
    After remodeling the living room, I'm taking a quick break before starting in on the kitchen. I've been trying to get this session ready since May!

Here's a few shots with things ready to roll, the rest can be seen on the blog.

Southbound Manifests

Northbound Manifests

Yards goats and the local power at El Dorado

I'm gonna try to get some shots during the session this time.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 361 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I like the variety of power and roadnames you got there.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BNSF733 View Post
    Nice! Thanks for sharing. I like the variety of power and roadnames you got there.
    Thank you, I'm trying to get as many of Rock Island units chipped as possible so the majority of the power is Rock Island. The only foreign power I want can be used as pool power and then on any detour trains.

Takes awhile to get them all chipped.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 594 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allen, I really like the look of your yard. Out of curiosity, how many cars will it hold?
    Cheers, Paul
    President & CEO of the BHRR

Thanks
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks Paul,

I've never gotten an actual count, but I think it's around 400-450.
    The dimensions are 4' x 16', the narrowest width is 28"
    It consists of two sub yard with 8 double ended tracks for each yard and each yard also has a By-pass track which doubles as a reverse loop.

This was designed as a storage yard for our Bend Track modules so we didn't have to tie up the mainlines when were setting up a train to run. Since I had it, I put to use in the layout.

You can see more of it at these two links on our
    Bend Track site and my blog:
    http://www.bendtrack.com/pyard.htm

http://thelittlerockline.blogspot.co...main-yard.html

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

pmh

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a pretty cool layout! Way beyond anything I ever plan to get into but really cool.
    Officially started this hobby in July 2013

Thanks
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks Mech1

In hind sight it's probably a bigger layout than I needed. It started out as an island layout, but with the yard I already had, the little devil on my shoulder took over; "You know if you add that here and this there........" and before I knew it, it became bigger than I had originally planned.
    It will probably take longer to near completion than I have, but the only good thing is it can keep our local group busy for a few hours per session. Three or four of us have layouts that we'll be able to operate on in the future which was inspired by my layout.

I know that this will definitely give me something to do whenever I have time to spend. The best part is the hard, boring part for is over, all that is left now is scenery and a few minor mods to the track work.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Op session #6 was held on August 10th. To date it was smoothest running session yet.
    I just finished updating the blog.

Here's a few teaser pics [sorry about the crappy iPhone pics];

The blog link

22. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Finally got a few of the videos together from the 6th Ops session and posted them on the blog.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 1,346 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great videos! Music selections are perfect, and the trains are extremely realistic... looks like a fun op session..

-Paul

26. The Following User Says Thank You to pwh70 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great layout

28. The Following User Says Thank You to alloymetals For This Useful Post: