Thread: Introduce Your Railroad in One Post

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 773 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the Kalamazoo & Lansing is a freelanced mid-Michigan line set in 1940. Traffic is mostly PRR overhead to Lansing and the PRR/K&L owned Lansing Manufactures Railway. Layout is 3x5 with (3) 1x4 extensions. Control is DC..traffic is moved via timetable and block orders. Cars are forwarded with a homemade car-order/car-card system.

nSn thread https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...amazoo+lansing

facebook https://www.facebook.com/kalamazoo.lansing

IMG_20140101_185731_zpsac71cfe8.jpg
    Last edited by j edgar; 27th Mar 2014 at 03:23 PM.
    "P tower to K&L dispatcher...... Gull cleared OT north 0835"

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to j edgar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mill-Bay View Post
    The actual layout is a 2' by 8' affair with tight curves and severe grades... The railroad itself is a proto-freelance concept based on what might have happened if the CPR had been forced to abandon most of its Boundary Subdivision due to major washouts, or the loss of a major bridge. Operations on the industry supported section of the track were then spun off to a shortline outfit that came to be named Kettle River Railway, after the famous Kettle Valley Lines. The isolated portion of the line could still interchange through a connection with Great Northern, later BN at Grand Forks and the BN mainline at Kettle Falls.

I developed the concept after I purchased a variety of locos and rolling stock that had been custom lettered for the Kettle River Railway. Some of the decals need repair, so I am trying to reproduce them, and I also found a couple engines with a similar paint scheme that I want to swap the heralds on to augment my motive power roster. The track arrangement is pretty basic considering I designed it myself. I tried to make it work for a fairly long run for the space, with most track physically separated by decent areas of open space, which will mostly be filled with overly large mountains to serve as scene dividers. To get more mileage, my operations scheme also calls for the only major switching area to be used twice, as both the origination and destination in a point-to-point and return operating mode.
    The benefits of having a railroad that used to belong to someone else: I just stumbled across an album of pictures of the original owner's layout that I never knew existed, but I am glad to see his handiwork:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/about-...7603977732928/
    Director of Operations of the Kettle River Railway

See photos of the original owner's layout here:
    https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/about-...7603977732928/

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mill-Bay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default the beginning

This is my starting point. I got it off Craigslist for 25 bucks and have had it put away until I could afford the shed it's in. I don't have a railroad name yet. It will be a scenic railway set in a mountainous locale. I'm hoping I can get the scenery to look very real. It will be a learning experience for me and I hope it anchors a larger layout in the future. I got it to learn how to do the grid work and because I liked the basic track plan. With some tweaking I hope to end up with something I will enjoy often
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by auggie; 16th Oct 2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: add photo

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to auggie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 277 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has been a while since there has been activity on this thread and I would like to see it get going again, especially with all the new members.
    Please READ the rules!

This it
    not a thread for comments (use the thanks button for that).

Introduce Your Railroad in
    One Post.

Rules:
    One photo only. You may choose a picture or a track plan but only one single (not collage) photo.
    Include a short description
    You may link/reference your railroads home page or photo albums
    You may NOT comment
    (this is a photo scrapbook) on other photos. The "Thanks" button is encouraged.

Any violation of the above rules grants authority to me and my volunteer posse to call you out!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rick773 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my 4x12 layout that I started back in February '04. It started out in southern Alberta, but (for a few years now) I've been relocating it to northern Alberta. You'd think after 16 years it would done, but when you keep changing your mind its hard to get anything accomplished-not to mention other hobbies getting in the way (well it has been 16 years lol)

So it remains a work in progress, which explains a bunch of stuff that doesn't really go together, or needs to be re-done.

Essentially its a switching layout, with a yard on one side & industries on the other, with the option to watch a train run laps.

Thanks for looking

Keith

edit-where did my photo go??? Maybe this will work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Riderfan; 20th Feb 2020 at 01:20 PM.
    The Northern Alberta Railways, once the 3rd largest railway in Canada.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Riderfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how I overlooked this thread. My N-ovation & Northwestern is loosely based on a fictitious line branched off of the ATSF and Rio Grande lines serving the Northwest. It's a dual powered (DC & DCC) and has a couple of marine actuators operating the folding table and the control panel that comes out of the framework. The layout is coming up on 22 years and has seen 4 states due to its portability.
    layout.JPG
    My WEBSITE:
    https://djsroknrol.000webhostapp.com/layout.htm

Remember, there's no place like ~

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Djsroknrol For This Useful Post: