Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 589 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which Decals?

Okay, I've done the google search thing and came up empty, as well as searched through Microscale's website. What I'm trying to figure out is which set of decals I would need to decal my own Burlington Northern 90T coal hopper cars. I need a bunch of the hopper cars and they are hard to find, especially at any kind of decent price. What I'm hoping to do is buy up some cheap black coal hoppers (any road), remove the roadname and reporting marks, then decal them as BN hoppers.

Two possible options I've seen are Microscale 60-649 BN Freight Car - Smaller Logo and 60-251 Burlington Northern Boxcars, >>>>Open Hoppers<<<<, Gondolas, etc. I'm guessing 60-251 would do the trick, but without actually holding them in my hands, I don't know if they are a match. Anyone KNOW which set to use without speculating?

Thanks!
    Bronman - "Trains and Legos... you can't have too many of them."

My Layout Build Thread - The Spokane & Eastern Washington
    - Featuring motive power by Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

"That's just dumb, D-U-M, dumb." - Me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm in a similar situation trying to recreate Bessemer 90Ts; logos I can get but I have no idea where to get the proper data plates/reporting marks.
    Tim

Shoot for the stars, anything less and your selling yourself short...

B&LE SD18 project
    B&LE 200: The Merry Widow
    B&LE SD38AC build
    D&H #17 project
    Resin T-1 build

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,354 Times in 3,673 Posts
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up several sets of generic freight car data from Rail Graphics back when I got my custom decals done by them. Each sheet comes with one each of an assortment; I've been cheating a bit by using some gondola or covered hopper data to letter open hoppers. But these sets don't really help with reporting marks or numbers.

For my WP&P boxcars, I just painted out everything but the data on some boxcar red cars, then added my own herald, reporting marks, and number. This might be an option for you, just find a ready-to-run car with a similar-enough paint scheme, and mask off the car data you want to keep then paint over the rest. Add heralds etc. and you're there. Use weathering to disguise any potential paint mismatch, though often a car might get re-stenciled and thus have a different-looking patch right there.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    I just painted out everything but the data on some boxcar red cars, then added my own herald, reporting marks, and number. This might be an option for you, just find a ready-to-run car with a similar-enough paint scheme, and mask off the car data you want to keep then paint over the rest.
    That's what I have in mind, if I can figure out which decal sheets have the correct size herald and reporting marks for the 90-ton hoppers. I'm guessing I need Microscale 60-251, but I'm hoping someone already knows so I don't have to spend the $ only to find out they are the wrong size.

- Featuring motive power by Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have all the sheets mentioned, can't remember which set I used for a few I did myself.

If I remember correctly, the BN Freight car set doesn't include any data decals. Another option is buy "lots" of BN Atlas hoppers off ebay and what not. I just renumbered mine, so I have close to 200 with different numbers.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,639 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you are not using the correct cars how can you be wrong?

Besides the railroads are experimenting with paint schemes all the time. Many times the rebuilding shop will do a batch with a "non-standard" paint scheme. Something like the size of a herald is often "wrong."
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, so this morning I was told to get out of the house as a realtor was bringing someone over for a showing. Hmm... where should I go? I know! A trip to the Hobby Shop is in order!

While there, I grabbed a black Trainman 90 ton hopper car (Norfolk Southern in case I can't convert it, at least it'll be a car I'd want on my layout) and went to the back to look through the decals. I found a sheet of Microscale 60-251's, which is the Burlington Northern Boxcars, Open Hoppers, Gondolas, etc. Hmm... the heralds were WAY too big. I found the 60-649's, BN Freight Car - Smaller Logo. Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! These look like the decals with the correct heralds, and include the horizontal striping and roadnumbers and should yield this scheme.