Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 489 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Spokane & Eastern Washington - Bronman's Layout Build Thread

Well, as I've discussed in a previous thread "Planning a new train room", my wife and I are having a house built, which will include a 12' x 21' room that I will be granted for building my layout in. Construction on the house hasn't even started yet and all of my trains and tools are packed up in storage while we have our current home up for sale. It'll be a while until I get to do some real modeling, but in the meanwhile, I have begun planning my next layout, which I am going to call the Spokane & Eastern Washington. I've been learning XtrakCAD and have almost completed my rough track plan (Yes! It will be posted to this thread when it's finished).

In the meanwhile, there is a lot of research that will be done that I will share here as I wait for the house to be completed. Then, when I finally am able to begin construction, I will post updates here as well.

So, for this first post, I'll finish up by introducing the concept of the Spokane & Eastern Washington.

I wanted to model the Burlington Northern as that was the railroad I saw growing up, so I needed to find a place somewhere in the Pacific Northwest on the BN to locate my railroad, but I also wanted some variety. I like the look of Union Pacific diesels too, but that didn't help much as there is a lot of areas served by both the BN and UP. Then one day I saw a photo of a Canadian Pacific train located at Yardley Yard in Spokane, WA one of the years I wanted to model. I really like the look for CP diesels too. I looked further into the Spokane area and discovered that Montana Rail Link trains show up there frequently also. I knew Amtrak had trains coming through the area and realized by locating the railroad in Spokane, I could have five different roadnames, BN, UP, CP, MRL & Amtrak. Okay, so I knew I wanted my layout centered around Spokane, but what about the Eastern Washington part?

Well, I grew up around Yakima, and moved to the Tri-Cities as an adult. I worked for a little while in Sunnyside. I've been all over the Yakima Valley and the Columbia Basin. There were things I wanted to model in those areas as well. So, I decided to call my layout Spokane, but include a lot of elements from around eastern Washington. For example, my dad retired from the Boise Cascade plywood mill in Yakima, and I wanted to model it on my layout even though it isn't located in Spokane. All of sudden, <POOF!>, the Spokane & Eastern Washington was named. My scenic elements will be taken from the area starting at the Columbia River and stretch all the way up to Yakima and from the Tri-Cities through Spokane and into Idaho.

That's my railroad concept in a nutshell. Stay tuned to this thread to learn more!
    Bronman - "Trains and Legos... you can't have too many of them."

My Layout Build Thread - The Spokane & Eastern Washington
    - Featuring motive power by Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

"That's just dumb, D-U-M, dumb." - Me.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,088 Times in 3,584 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet! Back in the early 90's I had an almost-girlfriend who lived in Ellensburg, WA (met at a church youth conference), and I went one time to go out and visit her. I happened to be a big fan of the TV show "Northern Exposure" (still am, in fact) and she took me up to Roslyn where they shot the show. I also got to drive through Yakima. I loved how "big" the land feels out there! And it's beautiful scenery in its own ways. So color me interested in seeing how this develops!

Now, are you gonna be lettering rolling stock for "SEWR" like "sewer"? Or "SPEW" maybe?

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    Now, are you gonna be lettering rolling stock for "SEWR" like "sewer"? Or "SPEW" maybe?
    Haha! I had already thought of SPEW, but not SEWR. "The SEWR Line never clogs!" or "The SEWR Line never gets backed up!"

No special rolling stock. It refers just to the location only.

Or, "The SEWR Line is always clear!"

- Featuring motive power by Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, well, I couldn't wait to post some pics (I know everyone here loves pics), so here is a link to a photo showing something I hope to model on my layout. The Tidewater Barge Lines operates grain barges up and down the Columbia River.

I found a couple of items that I think are "close enough" to the models that I will be purchasing sometime in the future. You can see the barge and tugboat (Item#KN401).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the early 90's I had an almost-girlfriend who lived in Ellensburg, WA (met at a church youth conference),
    Life is funny: In early 1990 I had girlfriend in Ellensburg when I worked for the dinner train out of Yakima on the old Washington Central. We too met at church. Ended marrying her -- and we still are!

Anyway, Bronman, I like the concept for your layout.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,926 Times in 1,884 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is starting to sound like a back home reunion. I grew up inYakima and moved to Dallas when I was 33. Boise Cascade had 2 night jobs that I could hold. The extra board was kinda tough. We'd haul logs in and pull the chip cars out along with box cars of plywood. This was back on the Northern Pacific before the first merger. The NP's gone now and so is Bosie Cascade. Looks strange to see that all that land leveled off. Just heard today that my high school (Eisenhower) is scheduled for demolition this summer. I do not like going back there anymore, there's just too many memories that have disappeared. I guess that's why most of us are modeling the past. Right?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Whiteman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,926 Times in 1,884 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to seeing your plans for the new RR. I think spokane is a great idea. Marshall Jct. with the old interlocking tower and lots of signals would be easy to fit into the plan. You've got a lot of time now that could be spent scratch building that barge and tug. I remember them well. We skiied in the Columbia or Snake River most every weekend.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Whiteman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Whiteman View Post
    You've got a lot of time now that could be spent scratch building that barge and tug.
    If I can find a decent enough stand in for something, that's what I'll use unless the cost is prohibitively high. Besides, you know the Celilo Railroad Lift Bridge near Wishram? That's going to be my scratchbuiling project, but probably not until after I have my workbench done in my train room. It is probably going to be non-operational and always in the "down" position. Would be cool to have operational though...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,258 Times in 2,656 Posts
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:m: another build thread! Where's the popcorn and beer?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,123 Times in 910 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronman View Post
    Besides, you know the Celilo Railroad Lift Bridge near Wishram? That's going to be my scratchbuiling project
    Awesome. When I sit and ponder a future room size n scale empire I think about using that bridge in a corner of a room, using the wye on the north end to turn the corner. Operational or not, that will be a cool feature on your layout. This will be great.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's amazing how I've had such little time for anything related to Model Railroading lately. In a week's worth of vacation I did however manage to get a couple of hours to work on some track planning for one of my industries. I'll include below the satellite photo of the Del Monte Plant in Toppenish, WA:

DelMonteToppenish.jpg

And here's the trackplan I drew up for it:

Del Monte Plant Track Plan.jpg

Now, if you look at the Satellite image closely, you'll see that there are actually two industries, the Del Monte Plant at the south east corner of the image, and a container company just across 3rd Street. I liked the track arrangement both of these companies created, so I just extended the Del Monte Plant so that it annexes a portion of that container companies building, creating a "V" shaped structure. Now I can keep the track arrangement without adding yet another industry to my layout. Looking at the track plan, if you notice the track labeled "A", in the prototype the track just ends there. I'm thinking about moving the track so that "A" is now parallel to the mainline and adding an industry here due to space contraints. I have an industry in mind called P.W. Pipe (Sunnyside, WA - now called JM Eagle) that makes PVC pipe that has only a single spur leading into the industry.
    Last edited by Bronman; 22nd Jun 2013 at 03:33 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I finally sat down and spent some time working on my trackplan in xtrackCAD in an effort to get it "completed". My trackplan isn't a finished product, nor will it ever be. I just wanted to sit down and get the concept down on "paper", or in this case, in a file format, so I have a rough idea of what I'm planning when I go to build the actual layout. Nothing is set in stone, and I'll probably even tweak the benchwork widths as I see fit. But, this will give you an idea of what I'm thinking of regarding my trackplan, so without an further ado...

Here is the benchwork and workbench...

Here are the staging yards, with the UP staging on the right (with Amtrak also occupying this staging yard) and the BN staging on the left (with Montana Rail Link and Canadian Pacific also using this yard)...

And finally, the layout trackplan, featuring two mainlines, the Union Pacific and the Burlington Northern and the industries they will serve...

19. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically CP doesn't run trains in Spokane, these are all UP trains. They just often have CP power as they are coming from Canada and from an industry served by CP.

Also, the Amtrak train splits into two when it heads west out of Spokane, and combines 2 trains into 1 when heading east out of Spokane.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 317 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting all the ties to Washington. I went through High school in Goldendale Wa. about 70 miles south of Yakima near the Columbia River. I had a great uncle who was the Captain of the "Lewiston" (one of the two largest toe boats at the time), in the early 80's

I know eastern Washington well it'll be fun to watch the build. I considered the Dalles OR. area for my layout proto when I had it arranged in a longer configuration.
    Jodie - CEO East Creek-V2 OLD: East Creek Branch.

Those who say it can't be done should stay out of the way of those who are doing it.

My 2'x4' Layout - Here 2013 Shelf-ish Challenge 2 Square feet - Here

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the benchwork and workbench...
    Where?

I don't actually see anything, just a caption, some white space, and the next caption.

so without an further ado...
    (does this qualify as "further ado"? If so, sorry I ruined things for ya...)

Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ike the BN Freak View Post
    Technically CP doesn't run trains in Spokane, these are all UP trains. They just often have CP power as they are coming from Canada and from an industry served by CP.
    I did not know that the CP power was operating under UP authority. I just knew that sometimes CP power would turn up in Spokane, and that's good enough for me to have a lash up. On my layout CP runs out of the BN staging yard as that represents parts North and East.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike the BN Freak View Post
    Also, the Amtrak train splits into two when it heads west out of Spokane, and combines 2 trains into 1 when heading east out of Spokane.
    I had thought about modeling this operation on my layout, but then I'd need more locomotives (not that I would complain about that) but would need a passenger terminal somewhere on the layout that I'd have to find room for. I think my layout will be crowded as it is. Incidently, for those that do not know, Amtrak's Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle stops in Spokane and a part of it splits off and heads for Portland. This is Amtrak's Pioneer route. I guess what I'm modeling is the Pioneer from the South heading into Spokane. The passenger terminal is on the other side of town where you can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by MystRacing View Post
    Interesting all the ties to Washington. I went through High school in Goldendale Wa. about 70 miles south of Yakima near the Columbia River. I had a great uncle who was the Captain of the "Lewiston" (one of the two largest toe boats at the time), in the early 80's

I know eastern Washington well it'll be fun to watch the build. I considered the Dalles OR. area for my layout proto when I had it arranged in a longer configuration.
    I grew up in Selah, just outside of Yakima and have lived in this area pretty much my whole life. I wanted my layout to represent the spirit of eastern Washington more than I wanted to just model some place. I'm glad you appreciate the concept!

Where?

I don't actually see anything, just a caption, some white space, and the next caption.
    Hmm... it definitely is there. Did you try reloading the page?

I'll put the benchwork xtrackCAD drawing here just in case:

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... it definitely is there. Did you try reloading the page?
    Nope... still not there, and I am now at home using a different computer, different browser, different operating system. I also see nothing after the "just in case:" in your post above.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,123 Times in 910 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see your pictures either. Looking forward to the build though.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How 'bout now? I changed the privacy settings on my gallery from "private" to "public". Hopefully that does the trick!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had thought about modeling this operation on my layout, but then I'd need more locomotives (not that I would complain about that) but would need a passenger terminal somewhere on the layout that I'd have to find room for. I think my layout will be crowded as it is. Incidently, for those that do not know, Amtrak's Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle stops in Spokane and a part of it splits off and heads for Portland. This is Amtrak's Pioneer route. I guess what I'm modeling is the Pioneer from the South heading into Spokane. The passenger terminal is on the other side of town where you can't see it.
    Amtrak does the switching all at the station in Spokane. Its also between 1-2am, so no one is around to photo it. But the station is just the 2 main tracks and 3 siding tracks. Also UP/BN interchange is at Napa St Jct, which is about 2 miles east of the station. The layout looks to be mostly west of Spokane anyways.