Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 421 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Free-moN Ontario Midland Railroad

Hello all!
    First I would like to say that I'm new here. I have been an N scale modeler for about seven years now. I recently discovered this website and really liked the friendy atmosphere, and (more importantly) the fact that it is for N scale modelers!

Ok, on to the layout. I have been working on an uncompressed version of the Ontario Midland's yard in Sodus, NY as a Free-moN module set. It is about 16' long by 18" wide. I am also modeling their complete roster of locomotives. (One of the perks of modeling a shortline with only three locomotives!).
    I'll be posting pics and more info soon.

Andrew

2. The Following User Says Thank You to conrailandrew For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,898 Times in 817 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to nSn, Andrew. We look forward to seeing your pictures.... we love pictures!
    Dick,

Usually, when all is said and done, there's a lot more said than done!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,334 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I love it! Post some pics as progress is made.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,671 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Andrew. Welcome. Anxious to see your modules.

Check out the thread of one of our inspiring resident Free-MoN gurus: http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...mon#post336556

-Steve from Yahoo Group
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Thanks
    Thanked 9,208 Times in 2,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard Andrew , looking forward to pictures , did someone tell you we love pictures.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,927 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Welcome Aboard Andrew!

great place with lots of great folks....
    Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enough teasing/ Where's the pictures?

Here is a yard a few member put together for our freemoN group here in Socal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, welcome to Nscale.net. Too many helpful members to shake a stick at.
    John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thanks for the welcome!

Wow! What a great welcoming committee!

I guess I'm going to need a little help with the picture process. How do I upload a picture from my computer to my post?
    When I click the Insert Image button, all I get is a place to paste a URL. I'm guessing you have to upload your images to someplace before you can link them to your post?

Steve, M.C. is the one who got me into the whole Free-moN thing. I don't know if anybody can watch his modeling and not go away inspired! I've been following his progress for awhile now.

In the meantime, here's a link to Google maps so you all can get the idea of what I'm doing.
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=43.23969...10568&t=h&z=17
    I'm modeling the area between Belden and Maple Avenues, plus enough beyond at each end to get to the end of the sidings and clear buildings.

Andrew

12. The Following User Says Thank You to conrailandrew For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

you can add pix to an album here, then paste the BB code into you post(s). You will need to reduce the size of the photos a bit. I use photo editing that came with my camera. I use 'Web Page' size and have no problem.
    you can also use Flickr or such. upload the pix and use the Share (Flickr) feature to paste into your post. I find it is easiest to open two windows - one for nSn and on for my Flickr account then I can move back and forth copying and pasting.
    I use the same technique with my albums - just open 2 windows in nSn and use one for the photo album and one for the post. Click on a photo in the album, at the bottom is the BB code, copy it move the the other window and paste.
    phew, actually easier to do than describe...

Edit - you may need a minimum number of posts before you can add pix?
    Yours,

Gene

14. The Following User Says Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can post pics now! I guess the new member process had it disabled. (Thank you to whoever is in charge of moderating, I'm sure that's what keeps this site so good!)

Alright, I'll start with the trackplan. The second image is the trackplan overlaid on a Google Earth image.
    Sodus Track plan.jpgSodus 8 to N scale track3.jpg

I printed out the trackplan from XTrackCAD in full size and am using it as a construction guide.
    2013-08-21 14.58.12.jpg

Today and through the coming week I'll be doing some assembly to get modules together. Benchwork is not my idea of fun, so I tend to take my time on it...

Andrew

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to conrailandrew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great choice for inspiration. You won't have to compress it and the slight curve makes it interesting too. Keep up the progress.

Would you describe the industries?
    John

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Industries of the OMID

Thanks for the kind words.
    I visited the railroad in March, and was able to tour the area with a railroad-appointed guide. This gave me opportunity to get a good look at the railroad.
    So, at John's request, I'll embark on a mini-series about the railroad.

---

Sodus Cold Storage.(First picture) This cold storage is not currently receiving or shipping by rail, but still retains an operational siding. I was told that several years back the storage had a contract to store and transload supplies for a certain fast food chain in the Northeast, resulting in about 10 cars a week for the OMID. (don't quote me on it though) This is the only active industry on the modeled portion of the railroad.

The second picture is the railroad's tank car transloading facility. The railroad places a tank car in the fenced-off area, then the customer comes down with his tanker to unload it. This happens a couple times a month. The building behind the fencing was one of two buildings owned by a lumber company that I believe was served by the railroad, but has closed its doors, and the buildings are now owned by the railroad.

The third picture is of the railroad's raised loading/unloading area which also see occasional use.

The forth picture is of the paved area that is used for the transloading to trucks.

---

Although the railroad does not see a lot of business, it has enough to keep going. The rail line (which is shaped like a "T") extends nearly to Rochester on the west, reaches south to Newark for it's interchange with the outside world(CSX) via a wye at Wallington, and from Wallington to Wolcott in the East.
    The section from Wallington to Wolcott, after having it's speed limit lowered to 5 mph due to years of neglect, is seeing several new customers(yay!), thus justifying the upgrading of the track allow the speed limit to be raised to the speed limit of the rest of the line: 20mph.

Next up: The Locomotives of the OMID

Andrew

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conrailandrew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would be a blast to run while attempting to keep the mainline clear during a show. Trust me some people get a kick out of switching. You could run your local road and use another module set that may have a yard to represent the interchange down the mainline a ways. This would keep you close to the modules so that you can answer queries about your specific modules.

In the fourth photo I can see the double door structure with tracks leading into it. The photo with overlay of trackplan also shows it. Could you describe it? I do like the staggered run arounds to help speed up the switching work too.
    John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hey! No fair!

Oh well. That was supposed to be for a later episode, John.
    That is the railroad's engine shed. Right behind it on Belden Avenue is the station, now the railroad's headquarters.
    By the way, the east - west part of the line is the old NYC RR's Hojack line, so the station is NYC vintage; and north - south part is the former PRR Elmira Branch.

Now, I know you can see part of one of the engines, but please wait until I get time to do proper write up showing the engines and the models I'm working on. (I won't make you wait too long!) In all seriousness though, it's nice to have a eager audience!

Andrew

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to conrailandrew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 915 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love that you are using for your inspiration a prototype lcation on a curve that is not a 45 or 90 degree curve.

( 90 degree corners are fine, but if you have too many of them in a show layout, people expect the layout to loop back on itself. )

Paul

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pbender For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Funny that the rr's connection to the outside is in NJ!
    Yours,

Gene

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Locomotives of the OMID

The OMID has three locomotives.

The #3, an Alco S-4 built in 1953. The prototype is temporarily out of service. My model is a LifeLike SW9-1200 with the shell replaced by a 3D printed S-4 shell, due to no commercial S4 being available when I started this project. The Stand-In model in a new Bachmann S-4 that will be painted and decaled, but without all the details. (more for a show environment). There is a fair chance that the Stand-In may end up being detailed and used as the best model....
    The Prototype--------- The Model ---------- The Stand-In
    CIMG0723 (Copy).jpg2013-09-08 15.39.27 (Copy).jpg2013-09-04 16.58.20 (Copy).jpg

The #36 is an RS-11 built in 1957. The model is an Atlas RS-11 that I am modifying to match prototype pictures. The prototype picture below is the best I have personally taken, as the engine was not used and left in the shed the day I was there. Much better pictures are available here, but they aren't mine, so I won't post them here.
    The Prototype-------- The Model
    CIMG0678 (Copy).jpg2013-09-08 15.37.59 (Copy).jpg

The #408 is an ALCO RS-36 built in 1962. The model is a used Atlas RS-11 that will require some serious modification to match an RS-36. As far as I know, there are no N scale high-hood RS-36's available, so the RS-11 is the next closest thing. Most of the modifications involve the area between the cab and the large grill. I haven't done much with this model yet, so excuse the untidy appearance.
    The Prototype --------The Model
    CIMG0804 (Copy).jpg2013-09-08 15.40.44 (Copy).jpg

Andrew

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to conrailandrew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the reassuring words about the modules. I have shown others who have their doubts, but then, they weren't likely into Free-moN or even N scale...

Gene, I'm guessing you know this, but it's Newark, NY.
    I've seen a system map for the OMID someplace, I'll see it I can find it. (heads off to the depths of the internet)

Andrew

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the system maps.
    East-West
    North-South

The interchange is shown as Conrail. It is now CSX, however, since I have a large selection of Conrail locomotives and rollingstock, it will likely be Conrail when I get around to modeling the interchange. (Yes, I do plan to model most of the interesting parts of the railroad, but not likely in the same uncompressed fashion.)

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conrailandrew For This Useful Post: