Thread: WVR 655 Traveling Caboose Photo Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 361 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's say it was a special privilege and order. Hopefully a return trip will be NS or CSX as soon they have a train available on that run.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 344 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSX? What you talking about? The WVR only has the Monon to connect with out of Chicago. (see my timeline link in signature for proof)
    James Ellison
    Owner and CEO of the Wabash & Eel River Railway

"The Wabash & Eel River Railway: Midwestern railroading at it's finest."

Check out the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Wabash-Eel-River-Railway-300988740552361/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"we're about 120 miles from home by rails" Let's spend the day downtown and watch Jackie Robinson West take on South Korea for the little league world series. They are hosting one of many viewing parties around the city and suburbs. JRW however lost 8-4 but we are still proud of them. They will have a victory parade for team downtown on Wednesday.

We are spending the day at North Ave. beach this morning until the storms came thru since it's so hot and will go to Navy Pier tonight. The boxcar and caboose is being serviced at the car shop for prevent maintenance for it's return trip home. We got a call from dad on the cellphone, "looking forward to see you kids, soon." said Mr. Wallburg. "I'm sure folks in Chicago are taking good care of you kids." "Yes dad, they are, We missed you and will be home soon." (talking on the speakerphone on the cell).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BNSF733 (RIP) For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent stuff!

By the way, I see a CSX locomitve the Monon hasn't repainted or patched yet. (again, see timeline linked in signature for reference)
    James Ellison

Check out the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Wabash-Eel-River-Railway-300988740552361/

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tuesday..........We visited the Adler Planetarium today because one of the twin boys has express interest in space exploration. The caboose is almost ready for the return trip home.
    Wednesday.....We are watching the JRW parade downtown at Millimeum Park. There is a railroad ties to the little league coach of Jackie Robinson team, Darold Butler is a locomotive engineer for Union Pacific RR.

Then we are heading home on the rear of NS mixed freight heading for central Indiana with NS es44ac at point with CSX es44ac in tow to be patched at shop in Indiana.

"Good news Mr. Wallburg, They will be on the way home today and should arrive sometimes late this afternoon." replied yard supervisor, Mr. Frank from Chicago NS office. Thank you for the hospitality, Chicago!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BNSF733 (RIP) For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"You wanted to see me Mr. Ellison?" Hank Wallburg asked as he walked into my office. "Yes, Hank. Please sit down," I replied. "Just got word from NS that the kids are homeward bound and should return by Friday." "That's great!" he said. "Just in time for Ashley's birthday." "And for them to see the BCCRL car," I added. "This will be beneficial, since your boys know a lot about the area, as does Ashley." "How will they get here?" he asked. So, I proceeded to tell him. "NS will send them on the regular Elkart to Frankfort freight until they get to Peru. At Peru, they will be dropped off and a spare locomotive will pick them up to run to Logansport, where I will have #12 pick them up and bring them to the 18th street yard. I will allow them a day or two to return to home life before they assist in tours for the BCCRL car riders." "Sounds like a fair deal," Hank replied. "I really need to get a welcome home banner ready."

"Hank, just seeing you will be "welcome home" enough for your kids."

To be concluded......
    James Ellison

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"What kind of caboose?" "Conrail markings, but it has 'WVR' on the side." "Wait-don't we have one of those? Is it finally coming back to us?" "I guess so. Hope the boss man knows that." Just a sample of the radio chatter about a special train. The following is the phone conversation from an hour before:

"Mr. Ellison?"

"Yes?"

"Norfolk Southern's Peru yard office is on the line. They say they have a special with orders to drop it off to us at the Logansport interchange."

"Tell them to go ahead and send it over."

"Ok."

Now for the main event:

"Hank?" "Yes Mr. Ellison?" "NS is delivering the kids and their train to the interchange now. Send number 12 over to fetch them." "Uh, sir....there's a problem in sending #12." "What is it?" "She's in the shop for routine work. Should I send 5947?" "That'll do."

Ten minutes later, the NYC painted GP9 shoved the special consist into 18th Street yard, dropped the caboose off on the caboose siding, coupling it to BCCRL 8874, then put the boxcar with the rest of the freight cars in the yard. Later, WVR 2100 took 655 as part of the evening local.

Since the site won't let me upload photos directly to my posts, here's an album covering the events (may not be in order): http://imgur.com/a/n4Ea5#0

When the kids climbed down from the caboose, they were immediately hugged by their dad, who was overjoyed to see them come home. "Welcome home," I told them. "We've got some guests that I'd like you three to meet and show around while they're here. Their trip was inspired by yours, so they're excited to meet you. When you're settled back home, I'd like you to show them great photo opportunies around town." "Yes sir!" they all replied, as if I were a military leader. I smiled and walked to my car, as I was heading home for the night. I looked forward to hearing about their adventures in the morning.

The End
    James Ellison

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Reply to story

Great story! I like it.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to runningbear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice finish. Glad I was able to be a part of it.
    Director of Operations of the Kettle River Railway

See photos of the original owner's layout here:
    https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/about-...7603977732928/

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mill-Bay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad you could too. It was a delight to see my caboose go around and people come up with good stories.
    Last edited by Trainman19; 6th Sep 2014 at 01:58 PM.
    James Ellison

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post: