Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 418 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janbouli View Post
    Great story John , btw , where is the build thread of that station
    Ooopps... I've been thinking about creating a build thread, but haven't jumped in yet. Maybe...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,130 Times in 2,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't create a private roadname. Instead, I am using existing rail companies: Deutsche Bahn AG, SBB, OBB, etc. But I did name my layout the Rheinland Bayern Bahn, since the layout itself is a portrayal of some of my favorite vacation spots: the Rhein Valley, Bavaria, and a little nook of the Black Forest. Sort of a 3-D scrapbook.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Union Pacific.

The only Unfallen Flag.

The Biggest of the Big. Steam, Turbines & Diesels.

I was born on Abraham Lincoln's birthday. You know, the guy who signed the document that created the UP.

It's also the reason I'm into N scale. You can model a taste of the West without building the layout in a warehouse.
    Bob Craig
    UPHS Sustaining Member #67
    Cincinnati, OH

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Xmtrman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been visiting Montreal on business for the last 12 months or so and the CN lines around the old port rekindled a long dormant desire for model rail roading. However I've realised that I have insufficient space for a class 1 railroad model or anything like, even in N, so its going to be a CN based shortline featuring GT and possibly Ontario Northland and BCR stock. Its going to be called something like the Damhead Creek and Cathiron RR. (DC&C)

Places exist with those names in the UK but sound vaguely North American, in my view, at least.

Just bought a CN Alco S2, my first N scale loco. Its beautiful.

DSC_0359.jpg

Bozz
    Last edited by Bozz; 16th Mar 2018 at 01:33 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bozz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,976 Times in 944 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes the naming of a layout can be in the form of an 'in' joke or have relevance to only the layout's creator, being created for their own amusement or for other reasons. Certainly this practice has been followed in the naming of structres on layouts for many years, but whether or not it is widespread in the naming of layouts is something that we cannot know.

FWIW, the gold-mining layouts that follow are examples where I have created names for my own amusement, and yes, the explaantions do actually make sense

The Kaisers Reef (Hauraki) Gold Mining Co. (No Liability) combines my actual initials with various terms used within Nineteenth Century goldmining in New Zealand. Hauraki identifies the area where the mine is located (It's also a Mining District), while No Liability indicates that the organisation is devoted entirely to mining. All of which was created to give a sense of 'reality' and place to a small layout that resided inside a 1930's-era kitchen drawer. I had to make it feel 'Important' so gave it a long name....

The Te Kereru Mining and Investment Co. Ltd. is a little bit different in that the Te Kereru part is named after the New Zealand Wood Pigeon (Hemiphaga novaeseelandiae) or Kereru, a bird best described as being 'As thick as two short planks' or just plain 'Dim'! This was in response to the widely-held belief that those who 'Play with toy trains' are also similarly 'Thick' / Dim'. As I have various academic qualifications which would seem to contradict that opinion, this was my response, and , of course, nobody gets the joke...(Which is a joke in itself). The Mining is self-evident in respect of what have modelled, while the use of the word Investment was / is an indication that an awful lot of money has gone into (been 'invested in') this layout. The Co. Ltd. (abbreviations for Company, Limited) appelation follows standard Britsh commercial practice.

As I said, the above names are 'in' jokes and in both instances have been created for my own amusement.

No doubt others of the membership have done something similar. If they have, perhaps they would care to share...?

Thanks.
    Komata "TVR - serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Komata For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,007 Times in 4,152 Posts
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bozz View Post
    Just bought a CN Alco S2, my first N scale loco. Its beautiful.
    Starting things off with an ALCo = doing it right!

Hello. My name is Michael, and I am an ALCo - haul - ic.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,067 Times in 3,526 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a fan of the Appalachian coal haulers and that region of the US.

But it was a cover photo and article ("Requiem for a Coal Hauler" by Ron Flanary) in the September 2003 "CTC Board Railroads Illustrated" that nudged me to the Southern Railway and especially the former Interstate RR.

Compared to the C&O or N&W, the Southern wasn't a major coal hauler, except in the area where Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky rub shoulders. But there it went about moving black diamonds in the usual first-rate style that made it a leader in railroading.
    Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

"The number of model railroads I have seen covered with the dust of apathy is directly related to the number of modelers who told me that they weren't interested in operation." -- Tony Koester

Rule #1: The worst excuse for ignorance and complacency.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi again! Still don’t know what I’m doing when I post stuff �� but just added one to the original “Intoducing the private road names forum” thread. Sorry, folks, I’m a slow learner...but would like some comments about my proposed Cascade and Western idea. Thanks,

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No need to mention the SP&S, Paul. Isn’t that road EVERONE’S favorite?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bobbymaxwell For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started down the track of building my first ever layout about 12 years ago. I ended up freelancing WP's "Feather River Route", but never had a name for my layout. I joined a local model railroader's club and started attending meetings. After just a few interactions, where I was TOLD what and what not to do with my layout, I left the club and haven't been back. At about that same time I decided on the name of my railroad. I could have called it "Flying Blind Railroad", but with membership of this forum, I'm far from that.
    Cheers,
    Rob
    LONE WOLF RAILROAD
    ​"As we advance in life we learn the limits of our abilities"......HENRY FORD

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sundiesel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now it is Union Pacific for me. I chose this railroad because I found it easier to find locomotives both new and used. I grew up with a large part of my family working for CP, but all I can find in n scale for CP is the ES44 which are nice...but I like to have variety. Currently looking at switching over to CN rail because I am surrounded in real life by CN and I can find locos online easier than CP.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Shawn_855 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I model the B&O and the Maretta & Cleveland (PRR) because that is what ran through my town back in the day. Modeling 1929-1931 because I like steam and don't care for diesels.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wentzeljr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 706 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Growing up in the Los Angeles area I saw plenty of Southern Pacific which of course became my favorite livery to model. In the late 1960s there was a shortline that ran through the Los Angeles County beach cities of Manhattan, Hermosa, and Redondo. I would often sit there under the Sepulveda Boulevard overpass just a few bocks from my grandpa's house and watch what I think may have been a Southern Pacific GP35 running just a boxcar or two. I have no idea what industry it served since even at that time this area was 99% residential.

Fast-forward to the early 2000s when on a road trip to Las Vegas, I saw four brand new-looking Southern Pacific AC4400s hauling well-cars—the paint still looked new—it was quite a beautiful sight. Gray and red SP locos would pass through the South Bay through the Redondo Beach suburbs quite often. BNSF now uses that same line today. It's only a couple miles from my house and I can hear the BNSF horns daily.

Southern Pacific | Santa Fe | SPSF | BNSF | Metrolink | CalTrain | Chicago Metra | TGV Lyria

railways by Kato Unitrack + Unitram | electric light-rail by Tomix | construction by Kato Diotown & Tomytec Co., Ltd. | vehicles by Busch GmbH & Co. KG
    ambient sound design by Fantasonics | DC-control by MRC
    digital command control by Dynamis Ultima | layout automation software by RailController

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Metrolink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,066 Times in 494 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been calling my layouts the Luzerne & Lackawanna Railroad, because that is the name of the two counties in Pennsylvania that it serves. Originally, when I lived in a an apartment, I modeled the Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley R.R. and and the Lehigh Valley R.R. in Wilkes Barre, PA circa 1954. That was when the L.&W.V. went from electric to diesel and freight only. It was only a switching layout in HO-scale in a shelf layout, though I had larger plans for a bigger space. When I bought my own home, I switched to N-scale and a 1984 prototype, the Pocono Northeast R.R. and Conrail.
    Cheers and stay safe.
    Maurice
    Picture 005.jpg
    Her is an early pic of the HO-scale layout.
    Attempting to apply the K.I.S.S. principle to Model Railroading.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maurice For This Useful Post: