Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Why did you pick xxxx roadname

I'll throw this one here but it is not just limited to private road names,
    but when it comes to having a fleet of locomotives from one company, why did you pick that specific one?
    For example, I have chosen to model BNSF (modern) and BN/NP (pre-90) and C&NW all around
    Why? I am partial to ATSF as I first had the common ATSF F7 in HO as my first loco, Modern is my main focus and the locos like the gevos and Aces are great in my mind, the moder ATSF is BNSF, the paint is nice, and it is widely available, so it is (in my ticking time bomb of a mind) a no brainer.
    As for the BN/NP, the northern areas hauled coal, one of my all time favourite trains. (i grew up with them all around)
    Finally C&NW, Simply because they don't really exist anymore, and I find limited things fascinating. I have nearly every Kato CNW... the OP lifesaver and RDC's being the only ones I don't have yet. Something about their paint looks very appealing to me and the fallen flag that still floats around speaks to me.
    So that's me... who is next??
    Great Scott!!
    Models always under construction...
    https://phill-phill.wixsite.com/consolidatedhobbies

Thanks
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 488 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I model the SP in the 1950's. I chose them because that is the railroad that was out our back door while a small child. Granted that was in the late 60's thru mid 70's. All bloody nose. As I learned more and more about the SP- I discovered the black widows and daylights and of course the SP's unique steam locomotives. There was no going back. I do have some ATSF, CRI&P and UP of the period. As well as SP equipment up to the C44-9W's. I just love the SP. I suppose I can go on and on as to why I chose the good 'ol SP- but this is it in a nut shell.

Thanks,
    Wolf

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SP-Wolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am mostly a CP/SOO guy now with a smattering of CNW. I grew up on the old CNW Alco Line in Waseca MN, which turned into the DM&E, which turned into the CP. On top of that, the Soo...now CP...was very prevalent in Glenwood MN where i would stay with my grandma when i was a kid. So seeing an old CNW or SOO engine or even rolling stock takes me back to that time. CP give me the chance to model some new stuff as well. My trains are my zen garden!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkasstan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,835 Times in 2,864 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I chose the Rock Island primarily as I grew up close to the tracks and have a lot of memories of them.
    Their characteristics were very intriguing to me.
    They were a Granger road and an Underdog with a colorful hodgepodge mix of power.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,139 Times in 1,339 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I picked the SCXY as it was a cool short line that I can model well. It interchanges with the BNSF so I can model all their cool motive power too. I like chop nosed GPs, SD40-2s and Dash 9's, so I have a place I can model both and still be prototypically correct.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 446 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I caught the prototype bug, modeling the Southern Ry. between Salisbury and Hickory, NC in 1974, when the Southern were still running passenger service on the line three time a week and the branch lines connecting to this line were still active.
    Tim Rumph
    Modeling the Southern Railway in N-Scale

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim R For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,956 Times in 3,115 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked BC Rail mostly because it's local and it died recently which means in my fantasy timeline I get to do what ever I want with it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to baronjutter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,938 Times in 916 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I chose my railroad name Faire to Midland, because it was catchy and punny. I didn't have any specific locale or timeline in mind at the time.

Then I saw a blue and gray Missouri Pacific loco in the hobby shop, and I started collecting Mopac stuff cuz I liked the paint scheme so much.

Attempting to put the two together realistically has created a bit of a reasearh project, and I've learned about a lot of interesting railroads along the way.
    "Do Not Hump!?!?! Does that mean what I think it means?!?"--Michelle Blanchard

"People saw wood and say nothing, but railroad men saw trains and say things that are better left unprinted."--Charles De Lano Hine

Down with UP

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ranulf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,376 Times in 967 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like several others my choice was influenced by the trains I saw growing up. In my case it was Cascade green Burlington Northern. I've expanded a little into BNSF because I like the modern diesels too, as well as the ties back to GN with the Herritage 1 paint scheme. H2 is pretty good too. My first experience with a model train was the classic ATSF F unit in HO as a kid, so I even find a bit of nostalgia in the combination of Burlington Northern and Sante Fe. I bet not many people say that.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 4,795 Posts
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I found a PRR shortline in western PA and sort of used that as my jump off spot. I will have some limited power and rolling stock that is company owned. the rest will be (is) what ever I like - the majority is PRR and P&LE(NYC).
    The line was still working until about 2 yrs ago when a flood wiped out sections of track.
    Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

19. The Following User Says Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,227 Times in 2,909 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ATSF , why, well imho the Warbonnet is the paintjob that beats all others, so I had to have a Super Chief on my layout. Then because of the local I chose ( Kansas ) I added the Rock Island and the Mopac. If the ATSF had been anywhere near Florida I would have wanted the Seabord, cause I love Orange ( the Netherlands national color ).
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 821 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I chose CP because it owned and later collapsed the TH&B which has local ties. This way I can have both.

Of course I have been adding some CN because that's all we have running locally so it's hard to ignore all I see running too.

For my passenger line i have GO Transit because that's what I rode on as a kid and now take my kids on to travel into Toronto.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to coffeeman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,417 Times in 2,709 Posts
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is very un-original, Black River named for the river that runs through my town (before i found out about the BR&W) i then named it Black River & Strasburg (after the SRR in PA) which i've been using very loosely for a prototype.

A while back in chat with a few others I was discussing having an NSN for an interchange railroad to my RR, and we came up with the Nottingham, Springfield & Northern. Everyone knows theres about 48 cities in the country with Springfield, and it turns out there are a couple Nottinghams as well.

I'm not happy with the city/river naming, although prototypical, i want something more.

Recently I came up with the Nottingham County Railway to replace the NSN and I know its still geographic naming, but I think I can settle on that for now... Hence the BRRR has become an entity within the NCR... Mergers and acquisitions happen all the time... Who knows, maybe there will be another :evil:

25. The Following User Says Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Union Pacific in the mid to late 1990's, as I could also have engines painted for Southern Pacific, Chicago & North Western, and Missouri Pacific.
    I also picked a geographical area that I feel is plausible for these names could have come together to be used.
    Last edited by Lake; 7th Nov 2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: speeling
    Ken Price
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/s...ice/?start=all

It's around 1996-1999. UP, MP, SP. South Valley Railroad. Some where in the west of Texas. Near San Angelo.
    Started in 2007, Super Empire Builder with radio throttles.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I model the Union Pacific in all timeframes from steam to modern as it is the original road that has withstood the test of time-it just fascinates me. And I also do BNSF modern era for a number of reasons: I lived just west of Omaha for five years and it was cool to see areas where the BNSF and UP mainlines ran in parallel, I now live west of Chicago near the BNSF main lines, and western roads have some of the best selection of equipment in n scale.
    However, I have CSX and NS engines as well because I see all kinds of borrowed or thru train power on the UP and BNSF main lines.
    The Union Pacific.....Building America.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to omatrack For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 305 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I chose MEC & BAR because Maine had a proud railroad history but it is all but gone to big companys now. So I am trying to relive what was once there.
    Brian
    It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
    Confucius

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Taylure (RIP) For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,630 Times in 4,421 Posts
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Growing up in Chicago I was exposed to all the majors.

From Dad racing (not really) the C&NW commuters along the Kennedy Expressway. To the Rock Island Scoots that bounced my drafting pencil in Main Building at IIT. From home it was a quick bicycle ride to ATSF Corwith, Clearing yard and the GT yard on 55th St. Plus the quad IC lines between our house and church. Then there were all six of the major passenger stations. Just so many railroads with beautiful schemes. The Flying Scotsman even made an appearance. So, I really didn't choose. I can run almost anything.

Oh by the way those C&NW RDCs didn't last long. One was wrecked and the other two were traded for passenger cars. Later a New Haven one was acquired for track inspection, but nothing happened with it. Although unmarked you could see the ghost of the New Haven script. I think UP scraped it.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,350 Times in 3,671 Posts
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soon after I first got into N-scale as a pre-teen (I bought a Bachmann Old Timer train set), my family moved to Yorktown, Virginia. That first Christmas, my Pops (paternal grandfather, now deceased) gave my interest a boost by gifting me with a quality engine, an Atlas/Kato RS-3 wearing N&W's Pevler Blue. He bought that road name to celebrate our relocation, though in truth we lived closer to C&O's Hampton/Newport News line (my school bus crossed its tracks daily). That got me into The Pocahontas Road, but one other thing he got me was a decal set. Maybe the hobby shop owner just tossed it in as an extra goodie, but it was a set of miscellaneous logging lines. Included on that set was a circular herald with the initials "WP&P CORP" set within, and no explanation for what they stood for. I might guess "Weyerhauser Paper and Pulp" or something like that, but in my heart I wanted to invent my own railroad, so I took that as a jumping-off point. I liked the thought of a trans-Virginia line, so I matched up initials to VA towns. Portsmouth was easy, a real Chesapeake port similar to Newport News and N&W's Lambert Point, and then in one of the other far corners of the state I found Winchester. For the third P, I made up a town name "Paston", though I have since discovered that there is a town of this name in merry old England, which means it would be plausible for colonists to have brought it over with them.

So I owe it all to dear old Pops, who liked to encourage my hobby. He worked for some time as an RPO mail clerk out of Jacksonville, Florida. And I miss him.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 343 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My railroad name came from the river valley I live in. Originally called the Logansport and Wabash Valley RR, the Wabash Valley RR is set as the main operator of former Pennsy trackage between Logansport, Indiana and Kokomo, Indiana. The WVR then turns onto the former Cloverleaf Railroad line at Kokomo and goes to Marion, Indiana, where it connects with Norfolk Southern.

For more information, please check my railroad's thread here: http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...Railroad-(WVR)
    James Ellison
    Owner and CEO of the Wabash & Eel River Railway

"The Wabash & Eel River Railway: Midwestern railroading at it's finest."

Check out the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Wabash-Eel-River-Railway-300988740552361/

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I model 2 roads, the New York Central and the Alma & Jupiter Bay Railway.

I grew up on Long Island watching LIRR commuter trains. I liked the LIRR but was not interested in modeling a commuter road. I had received a Lionel NYC F3 for Christmas 1954 and loved the NYC from that time. That's why I model the NYC.

I wanted my own line so I could run equipment that the NYC didn't. I took my wife's and my initials and searched on line for towns that A&JB could represent. There are a number of Almas in the country including one in western NY. I wanted the B to stand for bay and liked the sound of Jupiter Bay even though the only Jupiter in the US is in Florida. In my case it is a bay that's so large it was named Jupiter.

The A&JB is owned by the NYC but is independent so I can run whatever I want, but it's plausible, at least to me.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CountryJoe For This Useful Post: