Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MetroRedLn's UP Vallealmar Subdivision Layout

Thanks
    Thanked 3,601 Times in 1,159 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Static grass at last!!! Here we go!!!

The California Golden Grass (wild oatgrass) grows green in the Winter from the seasonal rains and gradually turns yellow through Spring and golden-colored during the Summer. My layout takes place in late April-early June.

Here's the very first patch applied with my WS Static King. I used a mix of 6.5mm Silflor Golden Grass and 4mm WS Straw. The Silflor is slightly darker and the lighter color of the WS grass adds some random highlights that add variety.

I noticed that not all the grass stands up in the direction I wanted them too on these hillsides, but a little gentle upwards brushing of the tops of the grass with the side of my thumb in the desired direction set them straight. I think I'm getting the hang of this now!

My first section, with a Fox Valley ES44AC posing next to it!
    Note the tinge of green grass in the lower-lying areas. I did that by intentionally leaving out the glue before applying the golden grass, then, after it had dried, and the excess grass vacuumed up, I ran diluted glue down the gully area and among the base of the adjoining existing grass areas. Then, I applied a mix of golden and WS 4mm Medium Green static grass, so the green blends with the golden grass and the transition isn't too sudden.

The grass on the bottom are tufts that were made offsite and installed before the static grass was applied.

And here's some Jacksonville Terminal Company 53' containers and well cars posing next to the new grass!

A shot of a consist running by the grass.

Here's my first day's work!

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,423 Times in 139 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks really nice. 6.5mm also seemed tall but clearly not as you prove it is superb.
    Just another n-scaler.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to schedule22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schedule22 View Post
    It looks really nice. 6.5mm also seemed tall but clearly not as you prove it is superb.

Yeah, I was seriously contemplating using a shaver, but after testing it out on my Try-O-Rama next to some figures, it seemed just perfect for wild tall grass in N scale. The prototype grows between 1' and 3', depending on how much rain the area gets during the Winter. Also, blending the 4mm WS grass helped immensely by adding height and tone variety.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Static Grass Express Continues!

Spent much of the past week laying down the static grass...

Monday. February 22:

Finished the base of the hill, and started working up the hill. It's important to work in small sections if you want your grass standing up properly. But make sure you don't border your glue sections with straight lines, because they will somehow show up in the finished work, and irregular glue boundaries look more natural than perfectly straight ones:

Wednesday, February 24:

Since I was done laying grass above the trackwork, I pulled out the protective painter's tape. But it was largely unnecessary since I could just vacuum up the excess fallen static grass, which wasn't going to run the tracks anyway. Some of the fibers got stuck to the edges of the painters' tape, so those weren't retrievable, but I was able to re-claim a large percentage of the excess grass. I used some girls-sized pantyhose, cut off the foot section plus a few more inches, and put it on my vacuum cleaner hose with a crevice attachment to keep it in place. Then I put it all back in the applicator hopper, using a tweezer to remove lint balls, pieces of plaster and other foreign objects. I also took off the painter's tape so I can run trains again!

More train poses:

Thursday, February 25:

It was time to apply grass at the edge of the layout! Since I would expect the excess grass to fall off the edge and onto the floor, I used some newspaper, taped between the fascia and a step ladder to form a "V" to catch the excess grass fibers. I can easily vacuum the fold where the grass accumulates:

Friday, February 26:

The bare spots are intentional - I will apply a mix of gold and green grass in the gully areas where water accumulated, as well as at the peak of the hill where the frequent valley fog keeps the grass moist:
    Saturday, February 27:

Time to apply grass to the other side of the hill! I actually think I did a bad job here since the hill was somewhat steep and I had less control of the grass, and while shaping the grass upwards, some of them stuck to the glue. Also, some of the grasses bunched up together. But it looks much worse in person than in photos, and the way natural tall gras grows and gets swept up in the wind, I guess it passes for prototypical:

Another angle, from the back side of the layout. Note the small patch of tall grass above the tunnel portal.

The switchbacks on the hill are a recreational hiking trail to the top. Hiking is one of my other hobbies and I figured referencing one of my other hobbies on my layout was a cool idea. I plan to eventually get hiker and dog figures, as well as a bear to provide an interesting scene.
    The area between the tracks and the hill will be a water feature later on.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's looking good! At least in the pics. Keep after it and you will figure out the details.
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!