Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My Feather River Canyon (26'8" X 50'8")

Thanks
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 442 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Feather River Canyon (26'8" X 50'8")

As I tell you about my railroad, I will be going off on different directions to tell you more about myself and how it relates to where I'm at today. I've been a model railroader almost all of my life and became serious into it when RMC did a article on John Allen's Gorre & Daphetid RR in 1968 or 1969. I fell in love with his scenery work and always wanted try something like it. I was 11 when we as a family built our house and my mother had a 10' X 10' room drawn in the basement floor plan as a play room for us kids. The first summer we lived in the house,(1969) I took it over and started to build my first HO layout. As most kids at age 12, I didn't have much money and through a very good friend, I learn how to hand spike turnouts to save from buying them. All the track was Atlas code 100 brass on fiber ties. By the time I left home, when I got married to my first wife in 1978, I had it pretty much finished. I keep the layout there for a year or two and then my mother wanted it gone so she could remodel the basement. I packed all the rolling stock and locomotives up and trashed the rest. I had learned a lot and I felt I could do better on the next layout. It was about this time I went to my first real train show and saw n-scale in person (the LHS didn't carry n-scale) and I bought a B-mann northern, a few pieces of rolling stock and some Atlas flex track. I set up a loop of track on a 3' X 6' plywood table with homasote on it. I tried handlaying turnout the way I did it before and it didn't work very well cause the spikes were too big. It was somewhere along there that Gorden Odegard did a article in MR on using PC board for handlaying track in n-scale. I tried it on a turnout and been doing it that away since. My first real layout was a 12' X 20' 'U' shape that I designed and operated very well. We had a house fire and it burnt down with the house in 1984. Shortly after that I ending up getting divorced and moved from Emporia Ks to the Kansas City area. Found the KC n-scale club and joined. After about a year, the club disbanded and some of us members started building N-TRAK modules and formed the Eastern Divison of the Topeka N-trak club. I built a set of modules that were 12' long with a independent loop below the 3 n-trak tracks. This was my layout till 1993 when my second wife and I bought a new moulder house and had it moved to our 22 acres. We had been living in a 14 X 80 mobile home and with the new house I got most of the old mobile home for a layout. Once I got it gutted, I had a room about 13 X 50 for the layout and started building my version of Sherman Hill. By 1997, I had all the track work done and started on scenery when I ended up divorced again (I'm a truck driver and 4 out of 5 truck driver get divorced at least once). So in May of 1998 I started building my house, mostly by myself. I had it all roughed in by winter and lived in the basement till I finished it Thanksgiving weekend in '99. I was so burnt out on building that I didn't start working on the layout till February on 2003. I was doodling all kinds of track plans on notebook paper in meantime and came up with the some idea of what I wanted. I never really drew out a plan, but I had it in my head of how I wanted it. Somewhere I'd seen a picture of Williams loop on a UP calender and researched Feather River Canyon and decided that what I wanted to model. In my doodling, I knew the layout would be a mushroom design and started with the helix, then the staging yards. Then slowly working on the peninsula then around the walls. I have the main complete to Keddie Wye. Over the last 5 years I haven't worked on the layout, but would go down and run trains from time to time. I have been working our outdoor 20.3 narrow gauge layout that will cover about 3/4 of a acre when finished. Along with scratch building locomotives and other things for it.

I'm modeling 1953 and on my railroad the UP merged with the WP, SP, and Rio Grande in 1952 so I can run all the locos these roads had at the time. On the layout I'm modeling Oroville to Partola.

These plans were drawn after I had built what I have done now. They are drawn in 1" scale and the best I could do for now is to take a pic of them. Just sorry for the poor quality of them, but I'll be taking close ups of them as I show the areas of the layout.

This is the heart of the operation of the layout. I can within this helix run loop to loop, staging to staging or continuously or any of the mixture of that. There will be a control panel to operate the yard and helix turnouts and it will have 2 throttles. The stool is for the yard-helix operator.

Here is the staging yards. It is 90" off the floor and it will hold 10, 100 car trains. Also I have it so there is a continuous loop to test locomotives and just let them run.

I used almost 2 cases of Atlas code 80 flex in the helix and staging yard.

Next we'll start around the layout.

Rodney
    Last edited by Rodsup9000; 15th Jan 2014 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trackage to and from the helix to Oroville.

Here is a 60 car train on the helix. All the siding are designed to hold a minimum of a complete 60 car train.

From helix to downtown Oroville. This is just a cluster of building for now.

Start of the yard area of Oroville

The tracks on the right is the classification and the left are inbound-outbound tracks.

Thanks for looking

Rodney

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orville Yards

The cluster of tracks to the left will be the diesel locomotive shops.
    Passenger station tracks are not in yet. The backdrop in this wide area is removable at the two seams you can see.
    All other seams have been taped and mudded.

Here is with the backdrop removed

Rodney

Thanks
    Thanked 2,246 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's an impressive project. Beautiful area to model, too. Thanks for posting.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As we leave Oroville yard, i plan on some industries in this area.

The 1 1/2 % grade going up starts here

Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 185 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear so much from others about how much space I have (20x30ft), but man, what I'd give for the space you've got! I guess it's all relative. Impressive setup!
    Chris Kilroy
    Henderson, NV USA
    Modeling SP's Mountain District in N Scale
    My RailPictures.Net Photos

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisKLAS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This area will be mountains with some of the river in it.

Tracks on the left is the Bieber staging for the high line.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
    I hear so much from others about how much space I have (20x30ft), but man, what I'd give for the space you've got! I guess it's all relative. Impressive setup!
    Yea but you have done an incredible job of getting a lot of track in the space you have and still have a lot of areas for great scenery.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Keddie Wye bridges was kitbashed using ME stuff and a HO truss bridge. I've made 4 trips to the Canyon and have lots of pics.
    This is about as close as the real thing as I could get.

Rodney

Thanks
    Thanked 2,246 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that bridge at the Keddie Wye. Very interesting structure, and yours sure looks like the real thing. What truss bridge did you use for that center span on the leg heading up the inside gateway?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTFan View Post
    I like that bridge at the Keddie Wye. Very interesting structure, and yours sure looks like the real thing. What truss bridge did you use for that center span on the leg heading up the inside gateway?
    I'm pretty sure it was a old Atlas or Tyco HO that I had laying around.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a shot to show how much elevation has been gained.

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,165 Times in 2,879 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this where you are to date , or are you gonna treat us with pictures the next few weeks to show us a finished layout, sorry if you answered my question in the first post, that first post was to much words for me , ask anyone here i'm more of a photo man myself. Your layout has gotten me all jealous , just wait till I win the lottery
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,670 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ambitious! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to updates.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,048 Times in 1,709 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well holy crap. this is every modellers dream AND nightmare. Lots of hard work I see in this!

Thought someone turned up the heat in here, but it turns out I was drooling all over myself.

NICE!
    ~Sean

I HEART KATO!
    Good look with your project and remember most here saying they'll buy are blogging from daddy's basement
    - Signed, an idiot

25. The Following User Says Thank You to YellowBeard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janbouli View Post
    Is this where you are to date , or are you gonna treat us with pictures the next few weeks to show us a finished layout, sorry if you answered my question in the first post, that first post was to much words for me , ask anyone here i'm more of a photo man myself. Your layout has gotten me all jealous , just wait till I win the lottery
    Yes this is as far as I gotten on the trackwork so far. Oh yea if I would happen to win the lottery, I know where there is a empty Wallmart store. (We can dream, right???)

Rodney

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YellowBeard View Post
    well holy crap. this is every modellers dream AND nightmare. Lots of hard work I see in this!

Thought someone turned up the heat in here, but it turns out I was drooling all over myself.

NICE!
    I see your neat layout is coming along very nicely.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,048 Times in 1,709 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya, it's a miracle. Normally I am king of procrastinators, but I lost that title to another member due to finally getting moving forward again. only a year and a half in. LOL.

YOUR layout is incredibly. I don't know if I could ever pull that off. Your dedication is amazing and inspiring!
    ~Sean

I HEART KATO!
    Good look with your project and remember most here saying they'll buy are blogging from daddy's basement
    - Signed, an idiot

30. The Following User Says Thank You to YellowBeard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm getting ready to head back out (on the road) and this is what I'll be tackling when I get home. The layout room had became a catch all room the last 5 years. I hope I can get everything reorganized and cleaned up on the 2 days I'm I home next week. So the following week I can get the roadbed and track laid to Williams loop.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,165 Times in 2,879 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see how different our approaches are to modelling , while I don't care much yet for having all my track laid and work from scene to scene laying track and the sceniking it to all but the small details , you seam to want to lay all your track first and get those trains rolling , and then start on the scenery, no bad or good ways , just different. At least one thing in common though , accumulating stuff in the room
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post: