Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,814 Times in 2,788 Posts
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My back story and road name redevelopment

I've begun developing my railroad history a bit, or rather i started an outline to begin brain storming. What got me into trains was Steamtown when I was a kid.
    I had chosen Black River because it was easy and is the river through my home town.
    Now that I'm developing some history, the name doesn't fit anymore.

Here is what I have so far, and I would like some feedback. I am using the origins of Steamtown as a springboard, the rest will be fiction. The newowner is the new railroad which name is to be determined. The museum has evolved beyond just a railroad museum, and is now a transportation museum, this was done to broaden its ability to attract tourism.

Founded by millionaire Nelson Blount in 1961 as a railroad museum "Steamtown"
    Purchased by the newowner in 1981

• operates former B&M trackeage between Springfield, MA St. Albans and St. Johnsbury, VT.

The museum Operates out of Riverside Yard north of Bellowsfalls, VT

• Dailey excursions to Chester, VT
    • Seasonal excursions to Ludlow, VT where station is at base of Killington ski area.

Exhibits include:

• Antique and classic cars
    • Public transportation vehicles
    • Historic railroad equipment
    ~ Charles

:shay:

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zosimas View Post
    I've begun developing my railroad history a bit, or rather i started an outline to begin brain storming. What got me into trains was Steamtown when I was a kid.
    I had chosen Black River because it was easy and is the river through my home town.

Here is what I have so far, and I would like some feedback. I am using the origins of Steamtown as a springboard, the rest will be fiction. The newowner is the new railroad which name is to be determined. The museum has evolved beyond just a railroad museum, and is now a transportation museum, this was done to broaden its ability to attract tourism.

Purchased by the newname RR in 1981 which operates former B&M trackeage between tidewater port at New London, Ct, Springfield, MA (interchange with CSX) and St. Albans, VT and a branches to St. Johnsbury and Rutland.

• Seasonal excursions to Ludlow, VT where station is at base of Killington ski area.

Exhibits include:

bold is revised text.
    I've decided to go "Railroad Tycoon"

Now I'm going to brain storm some railroad names. Input is still welcome, just remember 1961 is where the time line splits from ours.
    ~ Charles

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent! It will be good to see your Steamtown N Scale excursions through it's native Vermont again. I never got to visit Steamtown, either recently or back in it's day.

On a side note, Steamtown USA now lives less than 3 miles from where I will be working in Scranton so I anticipate getting a pass and spending some bit of time there.

Wayne
    “Speak only if it improves upon the silence.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have decided on a name for the museum, in order to attract more visitors the name was changed from Steamtown to "Twin States Transportation Museum".

Now all I need is a railroad name.

Here's what I have so far:
    the railroad runs from the ports at New London, CT to interchanges at East Alburg, NY (CN), Newport, VT (MMA), Rutland, VT (VTR), Palmer, MA (CSX) and Willimantic (PW).
    ~ Charles

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have decided on a name for the museum, in order to attract more visitors the name was changed from Steamtown to "Twin States Transportation Museum".

Now all I need is a railroad name.

Here's what I have so far:
    the railroad runs from the ports at New London, CT to interchanges at East Alburg, NY (CN), Newport, VT (MMA), Rutland, VT (VTR), Palmer, MA (CSX) and Willimantic (PW).

Next revision:
    mainline from the ports at New London, CT to interchange with CN and CP at Rouses Point, NY.
    branch-line to Rutland, VT interchange with VTR
    branch-line to Brookport, QC interchange with CP

The era is present day, and due to the accident on the MMA in Canada the railroad found an opportunity to take over a portion of the former MMA track. The CP won most of the bids, but the railroad won the track from Newport to Brookport where the CP agreed on an interchange.
    ~ Charles

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the idea! Visiting Steamtown a couple of years ago was an awesome experience. Modelling it the way you are is a great way to bring steam back into a modern setting.
    Is it just passenger service on this road? One thought to diversify the types of trains you can operate is to have a monthly program where paying patrons (with big $s) can pay for the opportunity to get behind the throttle of steam engine while pulling a few era appropriate freight cars (either for revenue or nonrevenue) and caboose. The Twin States Transportation Museum uses this option as a fundraiser to keep the trains running and pay for outreach programs. You can't offer this program with passenger service due to liability and regulations.
    Good luck with the railroad!
    John
    The Union Pacific.....Building America.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by omatrack View Post
    Is it just passenger service on this road? One thought to diversify the types of trains you can operate is to have a monthly program where paying patrons (with big $s) can pay for the opportunity to get behind the throttle of steam engine while pulling a few era appropriate freight cars (either for revenue or nonrevenue) and caboose. The Twin States Transportation Museum uses this option as a fundraiser to keep the trains running and pay for outreach programs. You can't offer this program with passenger service due to liability and regulations.
    Good luck with the railroad!
    John
    Excellent idea! I know this has been done before, and i believe this happens frequently in Europe, or maybe the UK.
    ~ Charles

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Breaking news!

It has been announced that the VERMONT ATLANTIC & NORTHERN has been founded!

It is present day, but the RR began operations in 1995.

The railroad will be known as the V.A.N line, and also owns and operates the trains for the TSTM. The museum itself will be operated as a separate entity.
    ~ Charles

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchased by the newowner in 1981

• operates former B&M trackeage between Springfield, MA St. Albans and St. Johnsbury, VT.

Exhibits include:

What town and when did you leave
    olskool

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olskool View Post
    What town and when did you leave
    My grand mother lived in the little white house behind what used to be the bar by the chester train station. I spent many weekends there watching steam town.
    ~ Charles

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the official page.
    ~ Charles

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,756 Times in 3,803 Posts
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the new name, but I gotta say I've really come to know and love the Black River name, too. Maybe one day you'll do a "heritage fleet" paint scheme that shows how VAN inherited the Black River Railroad identity in some manner.

I also think that "Vermont Atlantic" would be a good name, too, it has a good cadence. In some ways it feels more modern to me, as the "and Northern" suffix seems more aspirational in the way that original rail lines intended to grow over time. A modern line, though, tends to adopt a more "set-in-place" regional carrier name, knowing that they won't be building new rail lines, just taking over existing ones if lucky. One other thing going for the shorter VA name is that its initials lend themselves to some neat logo options, since V and A are almost mirror images of each other.

But, then I guess you can think up a logo wherein the V and A smoosh together, to kind of look like the mirror image of a larger N, assuming the N is tilted...

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

18. The Following User Says Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good thought WpP, I also was thinking northern can have modern implications, instead of building, they aspire to acquire..... Perhaps.... Anyway, potential logo?

image.jpg
    ~ Charles

Thanks
    Thanked 7,856 Times in 4,499 Posts
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Very, very raw. Needs to stew a lot to get the proper flavor.

One place to go is www.DaFont.com there are all kinds of free fonts there. Many are very graphic and are great for logos. As your railroad is modern the old pencil sketch won't work to well. If you don't have a proper graphics program Microsoft PowerPoint is a not too shabby tool to create a logo in.

As a late suggestion or maybe a road name from the past. I'll suggest The Six Points Line
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
    Very, very raw. Needs to stew a lot to get the proper flavor.

One place to go is www.DaFont.com there are all kinds of free fonts there. Many are very graphic and are great for logos. As your railroad is modern the old pencil sketch won't work to well. If you don't have a proper graphics program Microsoft PowerPoint is a not too shabby tool to create a logo in.

As a late suggestion or maybe a road name from the past. I'll suggest The Six Points Line
    i used my ipad to draw that, not meant to show font but the shape, i probably should have mentioned that. Moot point since the N is backward :doh:
    ~ Charles

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh.... Six points.... Five interchanges and the port....
    ~ Charles

Thanks
    Thanked 7,856 Times in 4,499 Posts
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You had said that the trains served six places or points.

It may sound familiar as the original name for Atlanta was Five Points. The original town was the intersection of five lines of the Atlantic Railroad.

I did not see the N until you had mentioned it was backward.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
    You had said that the trains served six places or points.

It may sound familiar as the original name for Atlanta was Five Points. The original town was the intersection of five lines of the Atlantic Railroad.

I did not see the N until you had mentioned it was backward.
    ah, i see. I like the six points line, maybe a slogan.

pw&nj drew this up
    image.jpg
    ~ Charles

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I failed to see an N too. But, keeping those strokes as you have them, what if the VA was on top of an N that was facing the right direction, leaning a bit, so it's like a mirror of the VA? I could see the strokes of these letters being very fat, like a super-bold font, except for the cross-stroke of the A which is skinny. And maybe the side of the V that overlaps the side of the A could be sorta two half-width strokes, so that you see a thin separation and can make out each letter separately.

Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pw&nj drew this up
    I just saw that one, you musta posted while I was typing. Anyhoo, I don't read the V clearly enough, I read the name "Ian", but maybe the thin separation line to make two half-strokes where the stroke is shared would do the trick. You'd do the same between the A and N in that case.