Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: My back story and road name redevelopment

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chantilly, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,905
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    8,074
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 996 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was thinking the same thing, so I tried this instead:

    van.jpg

    Just a little space in the crossbar of the A sets the V apart. Whatcha think?
    PW&NJ Railroad

    The Resourceful Route!



  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PW&NJ For This Useful Post:


  3. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cincy-whatzit, Ohio
    Posts
    6,689
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    8,993
    Thanked 8,114 Times in 3,591 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The other tricky thing about that logo is the gradient, which wasn't often done in railroad logos, due to difficulty in reproducing it. Maybe within a modern context, with modern techniques, a company might build their logo around a gradient. But I could see it being a flat color that is an accent color, less contrast than the lettering color but in a similar family or range. Like, if the field color is blue and the lettering or trim color is yellow, maybe the accent color is an orange.

    I might have to play around some tomorrow after work, when I can use the better graphics software at my disposal there. Of course, this isn't our railroad to theme, is it? How does Rule #1 go? I forget.

    Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:


  5. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Zombie Hill, Vermont
    Posts
    5,703
    Blog Entries
    39
    Thanks
    9,450
    Thanked 9,258 Times in 2,656 Posts
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post

    I might have to play around some tomorrow after work, when I can use the better graphics software at my disposal there. Of course, this isn't our railroad to theme, is it? How does Rule #1 go? I forget.
    Go for it

  6. #24
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,353
    Thanks
    1,403
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 4,400 Posts
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    When you do the design, think like you are cutting a stencil for painting.

    The fade can be accomplished with segmented lines like the old Dodge strobe line graphics.

    The same effect also can be had by using a halftone style dots and vary the size.
    In the old days this would have been a pain to cut by hand but with today's computer controlled cutters its not a problem.

    Would you alter the logo so that the artwork is always traveling forward? Right now it's retreating.



    The emphasis on the V and N make the logo look like the the word VAN and makes me think they are a company that leases boxcars.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.



  7. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Zombie Hill, Vermont
    Posts
    5,703
    Blog Entries
    39
    Thanks
    9,450
    Thanked 9,258 Times in 2,656 Posts
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
    When you do the design, think like you are cutting a stencil for painting.

    The fade can be accomplished with segmented lines like the old Dodge strobe line graphics.

    The same effect also can be had by using a halftone style dots and vary the size.
    In the old days this would have been a pain to cut by hand but with today's computer controlled cutters its not a problem.

    Would you alter the logo so that the artwork is always traveling forward? Right now it's retreating.



    The emphasis on the V and N make the logo look like the the word VAN and makes me think they are a company that leases boxcars.
    going forward would probably be better than the appearance of the reverse.
    Obviously right now we're in the brain-storming stages.
    I'm also tempted to lose the "Northern" from the company name as suggested in an earlier post.

  8. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    North of Steamtown, PA
    Posts
    502
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 446 Times in 214 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was also wondering about the "Northern." North of Vermont suggests trespassing into CP territory.

    Maybe letter for the V&A?

    Wayne
    “Speak only if it improves upon the silence.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to MuddyCreek For This Useful Post:


  10. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Zombie Hill, Vermont
    Posts
    5,703
    Blog Entries
    39
    Thanks
    9,450
    Thanked 9,258 Times in 2,656 Posts
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyCreek View Post
    I was also wondering about the "Northern." North of Vermont suggests trespassing into CP territory.

    Maybe letter for the V&A?

    Wayne
    Trespassing? Bring it ON! :evil:

    RR Tycoon all the way!

    but seriously I think I will lose the "Northern"

  11. #28
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cincy-whatzit, Ohio
    Posts
    6,689
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    8,993
    Thanked 8,114 Times in 3,591 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zosimas View Post
    but seriously I think I will lose the "Northern"
    Oh, now you tell me!

    I just got done playing around with the VAN initials, based on the possible symmetries I envisioned in yesterday's comments. So here is a set of variations on the theme, showing different fonts and the inclusion or omission of the small stroke for the "A"; these options can be mixed and matched, of course.

    To lose the N, I think you could still do essentially this - just remove the N and let the VA drop down a bit. I'd probably go without the extra stroke in the A then, and just let the two characters be abstract and rotationally symmetric.

    This is presented in super-contrast black on white, or "figure / ground", but in application it would be trim color on field color, any two colors you like.

    Whaddaya think?

    ForZosimas-012814.jpg

    Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:


  13. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Zombie Hill, Vermont
    Posts
    5,703
    Blog Entries
    39
    Thanks
    9,450
    Thanked 9,258 Times in 2,656 Posts
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    Oh, now you tell me!

    I just got done playing around with the VAN initials, based on the possible symmetries I envisioned in yesterday's comments. So here is a set of variations on the theme, showing different fonts and the inclusion or omission of the small stroke for the "A"; these options can be mixed and matched, of course.

    To lose the N, I think you could still do essentially this - just remove the N and let the VA drop down a bit. I'd probably go without the extra stroke in the A then, and just let the two characters be abstract and rotationally symmetric.

    This is presented in super-contrast black on white, or "figure / ground", but in application it would be trim color on field color, any two colors you like.

    Whaddaya think?

    ForZosimas-012814.jpg

    That does look good! Well, you all know how wishy-washy I can be

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:


  15. #30
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,353
    Thanks
    1,403
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 4,400 Posts
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    But how does it work on a flatcar?
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.



  16. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Zombie Hill, Vermont
    Posts
    5,703
    Blog Entries
    39
    Thanks
    9,450
    Thanked 9,258 Times in 2,656 Posts
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
    But how does it work on a flatcar?
    Well, i don't know.
    but i am going with Vermont & Atlantic RR. Also since my pike is picking up after the CV I will probably use their logo design, as this seems prototypical?

    I thought I was set on the museum name "Twin State transportation Museum" but now I'm not sure. I picked that name after googling railroad and transportation museum names, and combined with some business names I'm familiar with around here.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:


  18. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Zombie Hill, Vermont
    Posts
    5,703
    Blog Entries
    39
    Thanks
    9,450
    Thanked 9,258 Times in 2,656 Posts
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ok, so here's the latest developments:

    you can read about them here on my proto-freelance page, and here's the logo (credit goes to the VARR engineers (Stogie). Opinions?
    A little back-story to the logo... you see the VARR operates on a large portion of what used to be the Rutland Railroad.... so this logo is borrowed from them.
    There may also be included a logo: "Green Mountain Gateway"

    V&A.jpg

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th Mar 2013, 10:38 PM
  2. A beginner's story
    By Babbaloie in forum Layouts, Design, & Planning.
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 16th Aug 2012, 06:04 PM
  3. the K&L Story
    By j edgar in forum General Rail Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd Oct 2010, 02:43 PM
  4. A Sad Story
    By NSnosteam in forum General Rail Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24th Dec 2006, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •