Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrain For Trains Smoky Hollow Junction

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Terrain For Trains Smoky Hollow Junction

What do you think of this operationally? I'll be using 8 wheel diesels and 40' or shorter cars, so I am not concerned with the tight curves. I just want a quick way to get some track and scenery down and run some trains. Switching is not a big priority. Thanks.

http://www.terrainfortrains.com/sh.html
    Last edited by rich p; 17th Feb 2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Adding info.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is it you are asking?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are not cheap for basically a plastic shell but they are essentially ready to lay track and paint/scenic. If you are short on time or ability to create a layout, then it is a sure fire option. If running trains is a higher priority than creating your own customized layout, again, you probably can't go wrong.

I have heard that they do take some effort to frame/mount with wood to stabilize the light weight shell and that the hollow plastic shell creates a very loud reverberation(?) when running trains.

My personal opinion is you would learn more about the process of designing, building and finishing a layout, gaining valuable experience for future layouts/expansions, etc. But that does come at a cost. Mostly in time and effort. Many of us (me) spend so much time planning and re-planning (commitment issues?), that we don't get the trains running in a timely manner.

Only you can figure out the best path to actual running trains....

PS - I have been toying with the idea of trying to get a Central Jersey area Free Mo N group going..... Any interest? M.C. Fujiwara's FreeMoN thread: https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...Mon#post356333
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry - I added more to the post. Just wanted an opinion of the operational aspects of the layout. It has multiple levels so it will not look like a bowl of spaghetti (too much, anyway), and there several sidings.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You hit the nail on the head - too much time researching and planning and not getting anything put down. With this thing I can't even deviate from the track plan (something I do as well) thinking of endless improvements. I like to run trains and build structures - building scenery is not that appealing to me, that is why I am liking this idea - for now. I would be very interested in a Free Mo N Group. Let me know.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,768 Times in 3,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The grades seem like they must be rather steep, which when combined with the tight curves will mean a severe restriction on train length. Operationally, all you can really do is set either one or two trains in orbit, occasionally pausing to spot a boxcar or two if you want.

Within the same amount of space, though, you might be able to achieve a more meaningful operational paradigm by doing a custom design. Instead of working in the up-and-over, which has implications on the scenery (you need some hilly topography to sell it), keep to a flat loop. Put up a backdrop with about 9 inches or so of width on one side, where you can hide a small staging yard. Let the back side of the loop go "backstage" behind this backdrop, and then start filling up the front 3/4 of the layout with an urban scene.

Why urban? Because you say you like building structures but not scenery. With the pre-formed shell of this layout, you'd still need to do the scenic work of planting trees and other features. And, because of the up-and-over, it's a mostly-wild kind of scenery that you need to do. With a flat loop, though, you can fill up the scene with roads and parking lots, along with whatever variety of structures your little heart desires.

Make the loop double-track, and include some crossovers, and with the staging yard you can host trains that must meet in town. You say that switching is not important to you, but still it would be easy to add in a few spurs reaching into the interior of the loop, and some neat-looking industries served by them.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I have a lot of issues with designs like this. One it just looks like a toy and not a railroad. We are model railroaders, and our works should look like railroads for the most part. That aside, we are trapped by space limitations hence tighter radii than we would like and concessions must be made. These types of layouts are just too busy though. And honestly, it leaves very little space to create buildings, which is what you like to do! It's all track and grades.

My suggestions if you really like buildings, but want to see trains run. I'd consider a small dogbone style layout with one small town. You can build the entire town and just need space to turn the trains around. Even a small point to point layout might work for you.

In any realistic railroad scene the trains are huge, but the town and buildings are the features that take up the most space.

My current layout is a huge compromise of these very issues and all modelers struggle with them. I added width to my layout just to include the town. I plan to model a long stretch of main street in the town with the railyard buildings, some downtown industrial types, and then several houses once out of the downtown area. And my layout is probably lean on buildings because the railyard is the main feature.

I too wish I had the space to do it better. And I wish I had your desire and found more fun in building structures. I don't think these layouts leave enough space to meet your goals of building structures. It's too much track in too little space.
    AnthonyS, the man with too many hobbies
    R/C, slot cars, trains, full size cars, guns......
    Building my own Southern Pacific N scale layout based on Ennis, TX circa 1975-1985

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Terrain for Trains layouts

Hi guys! Newbie here . . . I have the Smoky Hollow Junction layout. It's nearly finished, and I'm quite happy with it. In fact, I will be adding another of their modules soon. I, too, like the decorating/landscaping aspect of model railroading and have found this module to be the best answer for me. I've very limited space and time, and don't particularly care for building a layout from scratch. lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,387 Times in 798 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hi all, resurrecting this old thread to pose a question... I have an acquaintance who has the Smoky Hollow layout shell, most if not all of the Atlas track to complete it, a power pack and probably all the materials to run trains. She's inherited this and would like to sell it. What would be a fair price for such a thing? Located in IL.

Not my cup of tea, I already have my layout and I'm a Kato Unitrack person.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,538 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photos would be helpful. Very hard to give an opinion sight unseen.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    Photos would be helpful. Very hard to give an opinion sight unseen.
    Working on that, but consider it all like new, unused.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

+ bags and bags of Atlas track, switch machines, wiring, power pack, some cars, a 4-4-0 Bachmann, bridges, piers, and stuff.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,213 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$50 at most unless you ran across a collector. I see wooden layouts with track for sale at the LHS for $150-200. It was probably really cool in its day, but so was my Tyco train and coal dumping station on a piece of green felt. Feels like the hobby has progressed well past this point and short of someone building a small layout for a child I cannot see a serious modeler looking to spend anything material on a piece of painted plastic. YMMV.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dave68124 View Post
    $50 at most unless you ran across a collector. I see wooden layouts with track for sale at the LHS for $150-200. It was probably really cool in its day, but so was my Tyco train and coal dumping station on a piece of green felt. Feels like the hobby has progressed well past this point and short of someone building a small layout for a child I cannot see a serious modeler looking to spend anything material on a piece of painted plastic. YMMV.

Well, there's one rather snotty response. I'm just trying to ascertain value on the used market, I'm not promoting it, nor do I think that my friend is going to retire off the proceeds of the sale of it. No need to be sarcastic about it.

I would say that this differs from your wooden layouts at the LHS, as it's more or less a blank slate yet, with a pretty good track plan. Most of the used smaller layouts that I see on FB Marketplace and Craigslist have the most incredibly awful track plans imaginable. Either they look too symmetrical or they have as much track jammed into the space as possible or both.

So, apart from the sarcasm, anyone think it's worth more than $50? I would think that considering that it sold for over $300 new and isn't that far removed from the marketplace that it has a *little* more value than that. With some ground foam cover, paint and a little work, I bet it even would look surprisingly good. I'd agree, just flopping track on it isn't going to cut it....but it sure as heck looks better already than PINK FOAM or PLYWOOD, which consists about 80% of the layouts I've seen. Judge not....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it has more value $50 to the right person. However, the market for this type of product is pretty small, so it may take more time or promotion to realize that extra value. It would be perfect for an N scale club that wants a (presumably) sturdy and light option for a portable layout.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to railohio For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,768 Times in 3,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you could probably do a price check on the actual Atlas sectional track and figure what it would cost as a baseline; maybe discount some for age or used condition. The power pack might be something you can price check, too - a decent MRC even used might fetch decent money, but a junk controller from a train set would hardly be worth $5 in my opinion. I think doing such a reckoning would be likely to come out to around $50, then it's a matter of figuring out a fair price for the molded base. Not having done the math, I tend to think that $50 might be lowball overall, but then if the goal is just to get it to sell, it might be a good price point, especially if you can point out how the components separately would add up to more.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

22. The Following User Says Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,538 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't think that @dave68124 was being snotty. I agree with his assessment that the layout has limited appeal, and that your friend would be lucky to get more than $50 for the layout base. Unused track is a different story. If the track is unused and has original packaging, it may be worth 75% or more of current value.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,213 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P-LineSoo View Post
    Well, there's one rather snotty response. I'm just trying to ascertain value on the used market, I'm not promoting it, nor do I think that my friend is going to retire off the proceeds of the sale of it. No need to be sarcastic about it.

I would say that this differs from your wooden layouts at the LHS, as it's more or less a blank slate yet, with a pretty good track plan. Most of the used smaller layouts that I see on FB Marketplace and Craigslist have the most incredibly awful track plans imaginable. Either they look too symmetrical or they have as much track jammed into the space as possible or both.

So, apart from the sarcasm, anyone think it's worth more than $50? I would think that considering that it sold for over $300 new and isn't that far removed from the marketplace that it has a *little* more value than that. With some ground foam cover, paint and a little work, I bet it even would look surprisingly good. I'd agree, just flopping track on it isn't going to cut it....but it sure as heck looks better already than PINK FOAM or PLYWOOD, which consists about 80% of the layouts I've seen. Judge not....
    Meh.....get more than $50 for it then I guess you get to tell me I was wrong. You asked for an opinion and got one that didn’t fit your narrative. Hope your friend is able to get more for it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My 'narrative' was respectful and polite. Your response was not. My 'narrative' also had no expectations, other than perhaps the sort of common courtesy and camraderie that *most* folks here display. So yes, you are correct. Your response didn't fit my 'narrative'.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 658 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmmmmmm.
    Daniel Dawson