Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any mid-Atlanic Free-moN people (NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA, WV)?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any mid-Atlanic Free-moN people (NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA, WV)?

As I inch closer to 'construction phase' of my modular layout I can't help but wonder if there are any other local Free-moN'ers out there. I'd be very interested in attending shows/meets/ops-sessions/build-parties (or even organizing/hosting one). I am not far from Harrisburg but I do travel a lot. I've been know to get to Philly, NoVA/DC, and NEPA on a fairly regular basis.

My inspiration is the N-Land Pacific. I like how their layout has evolved over the years and I think something similar could be done here on the east coast.
    Last edited by dean_s; 26th Feb 2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: ^Atlantic
    The Lurgan, Lurgan, and Cumberland Valley

Free-moN layout of south-central PA: Reading's Lurgan Branch; Western Maryland's Lurgan Subdivision; PRR's Cumberland Valley Branch

Planning & Research Thread
    Construction Thread

The Mid-Atlantic Free-moN Association:

Discussion Thread

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dean_s For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 420 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you know about me, and my little group in central NY!
    I'll keep you posted about events we go to, when we get modules running!

Andrew

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to conrailandrew For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,670 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Near as I can tell, there are no coordinated group efforts in Free Mo N in this area. A few of us Nscale.net-ers talked about it in a thread awhile back. Couple of us got together at the Allentown Spring Thaw train show last year... (oops, already happened for this year... http://www.allentowntrainmeet.com/) ... but nothing has come of it.

I have toyed with this idea and how to generate interest. Create a flyer and distribute at a train shows...?? Those Cali guys have their acts together.

Have you looked at the Yahoo Groups Free Mo N? There is a listing of members and modules/locations. I think Andrew found me there. I don't have a module yet though....
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    Near as I can tell, there are no coordinated group efforts in Free Mo N in this area...
    I came to the same conclusion which is what prompted this thread. I think what it might take is having something set up website wise and having a branded identity. I manage a site for my off-road club so I'm familiar with the process. I would have no problem setting something up so long as I wouldn't be the *only* person there. If need be, could start with a more basic facebook group page where members could upload photos of their modules and then move to a free-standing site if/when there is enough interest.

Free-moN layout of south-central PA: Reading's Lurgan Branch; Western Maryland's Lurgan Subdivision; PRR's Cumberland Valley Branch

Construction Thread

Discussion Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thought was to find out the interest level first...
    Find how many people have desire, ability, time, enthusiasm, etc.
    Narrow down some goals, a time line, venues.
    Once we can get a group of like minded modelers, then a FB page would make sense to me.
    I will create a "flyer" with general info about FreeMoN, links, contact info, etc and try to get to a few shows to distribute. I can send/post it here perhaps so it can be shared.

Andrew, do you have other FreeMoN modelers with modules up there?

The challenge is distance between us... I was planning on looking further East where there is a denser population, to find interest - I am in rural Western NJ. But perhaps a wider net would make sense.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind registering a URL and throwing up a basic splash page with an email contact for interest. Basically same as the flyer only "digital." I have some room on my server to host it so that's not a big deal for me.

Construction Thread

Discussion Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about it more, casting a net as wide the Mid-Atlantic States area would probably make sense. I was worried about having to drive "too" far to participate...
    Sounds like MC Fujiwara and his crew are spread out through California....

Spreading the word via forums/groups to a central web page might be a more focused effort...

The info pages at the Free-mon webpage has much of the info I would have included:
    http://free-mon.wesleysteiner.com/
    http://free-mon.wesleysteiner.com/FreemoNStandards.pdf
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...JoinPopup=true
    Some links to the FreeMoN threads here at Nscale.net

Mid-Atlantic Free-MoN Group.....?

I am not much help with web layout, etc. Feel free to jump on this. While motivated, with my time constraints/family obligations, my gears move slowly in this hobby. The Yahoo Free Mo N Group does not have a lot of activity, so it would a be a good central place to communicate with new interested modelers...(?)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm able/willing to drive about 3 hours for a meet-up if it's a one-day thing. Might go a little further for an over-night (multi-day show) kinda deal.

I'll start throwing some things together and see where things go.

"Mid-Atlantic Free-moN Association" or something works for me. Group seems a bit too formal... and considering the loose nature of those involved and the nature of Free-moN in general, "association" seems to fit better ~~~ At least to my over-analytical brain that likes to think about stuff way too much.

Construction Thread

Discussion Thread

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dean_s For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Northern NJ here, Morristown/Parsippany area.
    Active with Northern NJ N-Trak, but also interested in FreemoN.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mr_mike_m For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, sorry guys, I lost this page for a while.

Steve, yes, there are a few 'FreemoNsters' (to borrow an M.C.ism) up here. Bill (namrogllib) and Mike (Ravenseye) are in the process of building modules as well.
    I have one completed module (trackwise), and more on the way, the others have modules that are in progress as far as I know. I expect to see a the interest grow quickly once we start doing shows, so if someone could do a website or FB page, that would be awesome! Flyers would be great for passing out at shows as well!

Ok, I'm gonna subscribe to this thread so I don't lose it again.

Andrew

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conrailandrew For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by conrailandrew View Post
    if someone could do a website or FB page, that would be awesome! Flyers would be great for passing out at shows as well!
    I'll see what I can do this weekend. If you have any examples you've seen that you like or some ideas for content, that would be great.

I'm open to suggestions on website/group names too. "Mid-Atlantic Free-moN Association" is a bit of a mouthful, and a lot to type for a website url.

Construction Thread

Discussion Thread

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dean_s For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dean_s View Post
    I'm open to suggestions on website/group names too. "Mid-Atlantic Free-moN Association" is a bit of a mouthful, and a lot to type for a website url.
    We can shorten it. Make an acronym -Mid Atlantic Free-moN Independant Associates or MAFIA for short... LOL...

Mid-Atlantic FreeMoN Ass. - MAFreeMoNA / MAFNA
    Mid-Atlantic FreeMo
    MAFreeMon
    FreeMoN Mid-Atlantc - FreeMoNMA / FreeMoMA

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    MAFIA for short
    Great, now I need to wipe a mouth full of Green Tea off my computer.

Construction Thread

Discussion Thread

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would I have to whack someone to get into the MAFIA?

I'd like to join in the fun, or at the least join this conversation. Dean, I think you and I have exchanged a couple messages/emails about this already.

For others, I joined the Free-moN Yahoo group a few years ago when I first became really interested in the standard. Like you guys, I was looking for others in this area, but if you sort the member roster by zip code, there doesn't appear to be too many that close. When I queried the list directly over a year ago asking who is in this area/region, I got zero response, so I'm VERY glad to find this thread.

I live in Manassas, VA. I have no FreemoN modules yet but might try converting one or two of my oNeTRAK to FreemoN to start with and go from there.

Also, there's an event this summer that could help in this attempt to "beat the bushes" for fellow Mid-Atlantic FreemoNsters. The Capitol Limited N Scale East 2014 convention will take place August 7 - 10 at the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly, VA. (bigtrainlayout.org) It's organized by the Northern Virginia NTRAK club, but it's for all things N scale, not just NTRAK, which means any FreemoN modules are welcome and would be given their own space in the main layout area (which is HUGE).

Although I'm a member of NVNTRAK and on the convention committee, I'm not just pimping the event; I think it could be a good opportunity for a time/place to gather and get things going for Mid-Atlantic FreemoN.

I'll ask the guy in charge of registration at our next planning meeting to see if anyone has registered a FreemoN module yet. But even if there aren't a lot of modules out there, we still could organize something, even if it's just a casual meet-N-greet. We could build interest by getting it listed on the official convention schedule and getting some space set aside for it (or at a nearby bar, MAFIA style).

Let me know and I can get it done.

mark

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CYkodelic For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm all for bringing down any modules I have (completed or otherwise) and having a little local Free-moN gathering. I am also for an informal social gathering at a local watering hole.

What would it take to get a "MAFIA" booth/table/corner at the show?

Construction Thread

Discussion Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 996 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm definitely interested, just extremely limited by lack of funds and a schedule that would rarely allow me to participate. Nevertheless, the Free-moN concept is excellent and I'll do what I can to help out.

And hi Mark, I used to live in Manassas, now in nearby Herndon, VA.
    PW&NJ Railroad

The Resourceful Route!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAFIA!!!...ROFPMSL!!!! Luv it
    Mess not in the affairs of dragons... for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CYkodelic View Post
    Also, there's an event this summer that could help in this attempt to "beat the bushes" for fellow Mid-Atlantic FreemoNsters. The Capitol Limited N Scale East 2014 convention will take place August 7 - 10 at the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly, VA. (bigtrainlayout.org) It's organized by the Northern Virginia NTRAK club, but it's for all things N scale, not just NTRAK, which means any FreemoN modules are welcome and would be given their own space in the main layout area (which is HUGE).
    Interested, but many variables need to fall into place. We like to vacation in Northern VA, so could work something out. Keep us posted. Although I was thinking about the N scale Nat Convention in June too... http://www.nationalnscaleconvention.com/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N Scale Weekend in Bedford, PA is looking into FreeMo-N for the August 23-24 event. Contact Mike Phillips at nscaleweekend@yahoo.com for info.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to markt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting! Can't garrantee I'll have working modules yet at that point, but if I do, I'll see if I can make it work!