Thread: Texas Southern & San Antonio (or other ideas)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Texas Southern & San Antonio (or other ideas)

I was thinking about a name for the project I'm soon to start building (I'm cleaning out the room right now which is kinda like starting on it, but not as much fun). This is meant to be a project with my daughter, who is named Teresa, or Tessa as she is most often called. With that in mind I came up with the following:

Texas Southern & San Antonio (TSSA)

It is a pretty prototypical name (although the model will be very freelance) - there was a Texas Southern and there were a bunch of lines with San Antonio as part of their name. I have a bunch of Southern Pacific stock and the SP acquired or operated over many of the lines in Texas, so my SP stuff should fit right in. I grew up in Central Texas, right outside Austin, so I'm familiar with the area. Plus, it plays on my daughter's name, which was kinda the point.

Now I'd prefer to build north or San Antonio into the Hill Country rather than South Texas. But I imagine I could come up with a story for that - they originally planned to build to the south but then opportunities to the north appeared and they ended up building that way. I won't be building soaring mountains, but I could probably live with the rocky hills. The first itteration of the project will be pretty fantasy, an attempt to practice modeling skills on a fairly small layout.

It seemed to fall into place when I thought about it. I started with what could the final 'sa' stand for - San Antonio obviously. Then that matched with my SP collection and my Texas heritage. I've read about some of the old lines of Central Texas and there are some good modelling possibilities there.

What do you think? Do you have any other ideas?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dabug For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,286 Times in 3,655 Posts
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SA could also be Southern Arkansas, and the other S could be Shreveport. Then, you could be situated up in the Ozarks. You're right, though, there's plenty of precedent for a line including a remote place name without ever actually reaching it.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 950 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the railroad was built to connect southern Texas to San Antonio, but reached beyond San Antonio into n. Texas, sort of like the ATSF reached beyond Santa Fe.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WP&P: Texarkana, Shreveport & Southern Arkansas could work. I've spent some time travelling in that area (ex-wife was from Shreveport) so I know the basic look. It fits the idea of the look I had in mind a little better than south central Texas. Low mountains, pine trees, hillbilly towns. The SP has plenty of links through there with the Cotton Belt so my equipment will fit right in. I am thinking of Central Texas terrain for my second layout a few years from now - once I remodel the attic and once I've built something first. I could keep the acronym and change what it stands for. Thanks - that's one I'll think about.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,568 Times in 4,404 Posts
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Remember your layout is just a snap shot of the whole railroad. Unless you are building in a large warehouse you'll only be able to model one to a few miles of the whole thing. After all an N scale mile is 33 feet long. Your layout can be located anywhere on the line.

In comparison the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago squeezes the BNSF between Chicago and Seattle under the wing of a Boeing 707 and Miniature Wonderland stuffed Europe and the U.S. into a coffee warehouse. So fitting all of Texas into a spare room might be a bit much. One or two towns might be just right.

I've found it nearly impossible to fit the 3000 plus miles of track in Chicago on a 6x8 foot table.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my little railfan. This was taken over a year ago, so she's considerably bigger now. She is the namesake for my line.

Tessa_TrainShow-28July2012.jpg

I think I'm going to go with Texas Southern & San Antonio or the TSSA. Central Texas Hill Country scenery, limestone hills, a quarry, maybe a cattle ranch. It's just a small layout, and it may aquire a mix of elements that are fun but fit no single location, so I'm not going to be too worried about it. The abreviation is the key.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dabug For This Useful Post: