Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicago North Western

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chicago North Western

Hi. I am a big fan of the CNW. Unfortunately here in South Africa we don't have a large selection in our local hobby shops. Can anyone recommend websites where I can source product?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,833 Times in 4,494 Posts
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It can be a challenge to model the C&NW anywhere in the world. The road has never been a model giant like the ATSF PRR or UP.

Depending on the time frame of your layout There are some different ways of building the fleet. The unofficial motto of Cheap & Nothing Wasted can be used to your advantage.

During many periods the C&NW bought or leased used equipment. They would put it into service as soon as the Ball & Bar were applied. It would not be out of character to find the C&NW reporting marks on a former Conrail loco with all the white stuff painted over in a non-matching blue. Or a former BN green machine hauling freight with a Gold and Green loco. The Green Hornet PAs were the Alco/GE Demonstrators with a logo change.

The commuter locos did not get a break because it was the weekend. Even in the Metra era they hauled short distance freight.

With their multitude of rebuilding programs the North Western was running locos that other railroads had retired decades before.

Good news is that if you look for them you can still find the Bi-Level Gallery Cars and Cabs made by both Arnold and ConCor, which still does reruns. If you find the ones with the cast weight, snap them up. They are fantastic in push/pull service. The cars a bought from Wheels of Time are great yard decoration.

According to rumor new standard passenger cars on the way from Kato to go with their announced E-Units. Remember when looking at passenger sets there was only one dome car. It was a former Milwaukee Road Full Dome. It was only used on the Executive train in the 80's The various Cities trains also are C&NW run until 1955, when they went to the Milwaukee Railroad for access to Chicago. It took a couple of years to repaint the cars from that yellow and gray paint. The C&NW also had some stainless cars they got when they traded their RDC to the C&O. Above the corrugations the Green and Gold were applied. Later on an RDC4 was acquired from the New Haven for track inspection. The NH script was ghosted on the car, that sat waiting to be reused.

So good luck hunting.

The Chicago & North Western Historical Society has some great books to help guide your purchases and modifications.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 797 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They were an interesting line in the 60's and early 70's for certain. I saw a lot of C&NW action as a kid growing up in North Fond du Lac, WI. I recall a lot of Baby Trainmasters, E and F units, a real hodgepodge of motive power, as I also saw on the Soo Line, located next door. (Both lines had major yards and shops in N. Fond du Lac)

When we moved in 1974, I got to see Train 60, the "Pumpkin Line" run from Fond du Lac to Wisconsin Rapids, primarily in and between the towns of Neshkoro and Wautoma, WI. They'd service the old Speed Queen washing machine plant in Wautoma, which was right across the street from the junior high school that I attended. A couple of kids used to wave and visit their dad, who was an Engineer. That line had notoriously bad track and usually had yard speed limits throughout. Often would see old GP-7's and 9's and other old, 2 axle, lighter road units. Trains were usually short, unless it was during the fall, then there would be long trains of potatoes from the central flats, then later Christmas Trees from the Kirk Co. between Wautoma and Wild Rose, WI.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,081 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grew up watching the CNW fly through my hometown, Carroll, IA. Spent time at the depot watching trains. I remember the old wooden roundhouse being there and the turntable up til the mid 70's!

There was usually a GP or SD 7-9 at Carroll. Was always a lot of fun to watch! Seems like the ubiquitous 40's were most of the units I saw pulling through town since it was the mainline to Omaha. Am sure there were others going by! I just picked up a short history of the 'Bonesteel line' in Nebraska. Still reading it, but it is the typical story of we need a railroad more than your town does!

Look forward to this thread.....
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a TON of good info at C&NW Historical site: http://www.cnwhs.org/index.htm

Good proto info and some great stories.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CARS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here's an old Geep at Wautoma, WI during the last days of the "Pumpkin Line" between Fond du Lac and Marshfield. Probably taken around 1977.

IMG_0455.JPG

9. The Following User Says Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CNW

Hi everyone! My first post on here.

I am beginning the process to get started building my layout. It is going to be be loosely based on my area(eastern IA) and will be based on Chicago Northwestern. My twist on that is that the CNW is actually still in business and bought out Up, instead of the other way around. Mostly modern era, but possibly hearkening back to as far back as late 70's. Caboose are still used instead of EoT's and the roads that used to service this area and were taken over, are all magically still viable roads, so to get a good mix of power and freight.

I know I'm stretching things a bit, but hey, it's my little world I'm building, after all. I will eventually post more as the process continues. I've been lurking around for a few months reading, but will continue on and will provide updates as my progress goes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,775 Times in 2,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard! @Mingles
    ~ Charles

:shay:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the subject of your actual question, there is a pretty good selection of vendors in the Links Directory on this website. I like Brooklyn Locomotive works and MB Klein. I also use ebay to find stuff . There's actually a pretty good selection of diesel locos out there covering from the 40's till they were absorbed into the UP. Kato did a CNW passenger train a while back and Intermountain has done assorted passenger cars, and ConCor has done both smooth side and heavyweight cars. There are aalso a number of Steamers. Good Luck in your search.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,833 Times in 4,494 Posts
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Mingles, the C&NW was a fantastic road for model railroaders. Famous for using equipment that was no longer used by other roads. They were well known for their rebuilding programs keeping their Geeps and Bulldogs running decades after other roads had traded them in. The UP spent a lot of time unloading those older locos. The Chicago and North Western did not just buy old stuff. They often experimented with new and unique. Innovations include the modern caboose concept, Cab/Coaches for push-pull service, HEP power and many other modern concepts.

You might take a bit of inspiration from these drawings...
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/album.p...chmentid=36238

I thought the UP did a great job on the C&NW Heritage unit. It would make a great basis for a updated paint scheme.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,495 Times in 1,415 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know the CNW SD40-2 are still available out there. Many CNW have to be custom made. I'm actually working on a pair of CNW C-628s right now. Fun stuff.
    Last edited by jpwisc; 25th Dec 2016 at 07:31 PM.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can remember waiting for the CNW passenger in Neenah, Wi. when I was in my late teens(late60's). My girlfriend at that time was going to nursing school in Chicago & would come home on the weekends. Her mother & I would pick her up. The rest of the weekend is another story.
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ever wonder how a town on the C&NW got it's name? Here's a free EBook that was put out by the C&NW that tells you just that!

https://play.google.com/store/books/...QAAMAAJ&rdot=1

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 980 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You guys do realize that the OP who started this thread did so over 2 years ago and that his last activity was in Nov 2014 don't you.

Nevertheless there has been some good info posted here in the last 2 months.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Rail View Post
    You guys do realize that the OP who started this thread did so over 2 years ago and that his last activity was in Nov 2014 don't you.
    Do we really need multiple C&NW threads in "Fallen Flags"?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello from another C&NW fan

Greetings, all!

I recently joined nscale.net and while doing some browsing, came across this thread. I see that there hasn't been much action lately, but at least I know there are other CNW N-scalers out there.

I worked for the Northwestern in my early college years and now that I'm retired (not from the railroad though) and have picked up the model railroading bug again, I figured it's best to concentrate on modeling the old "Alco Line" as that's where I first encountered the yellow and green smoky monsters.

I've got the first module of five just about complete and work will start on modules 2 and 3 this Fall. The theme is a bit of the mainline in the New Ulm MN area and then the branch line (former mainline) that ran from New Ulm eastward to St. Peter.

I understand that it takes a bit before a new user's posts actually make it past the moderator and show up in the forum, but as soon as that happens, I'll be happy to write more. I have a web site up and running that has been documenting my progress but that needs a bit of updating before it's ready for prime time.

--- Tom

22. The Following User Says Thank You to edwardstd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, not to be pedantic but out of respect for the road, the abbreviation should always be "C&NW" and, written out, it should be Chicago and North Western, not Chicago Northwestern (North and Western separated.).

Doug
    Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
    www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 768 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the site @edwardstd

Thanks
    Thanked 5,431 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edwardstd View Post
    I've got the first module of five just about complete and work will start on modules 2 and 3 this Fall. The theme is a bit of the mainline in the New Ulm MN area and then the branch line (former mainline) that ran from New Ulm eastward to St. Peter.
    My modeling area isn't too far away from yours. The focus is Hope, MN and the UP spine line from the Twin Cities down to Des Moines and KC. C&NW owned said spine line post Rock Island a pre Union Pacific, so I have quite a bit of C&NW motive power and rolling stock in my collection.

-Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 4,495 Times in 1,415 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Gosha View Post
    BTW, not to be pedantic but out of respect for the road, the abbreviation should always be "C&NW" and, written out, it should be Chicago and North Western, not Chicago Northwestern (North and Western separated.).

Doug
    Seeing as the reporting marks are CNW, that is an acceptable abbreviation.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline