Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chicago North Western

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see you are a member of this forum as well! I've used your N scale locomotive and car information for years (Thanks for doing that!!!!) and I've followed your Hope MN project off and on as well.

I was both happy and sad to see the Spine Line acquisition go through. It meant that the C&NW was serious about the railroading business but it also meant the abandonment of many other lines, including the M&StL main. I've always had a fondness for the M&StL since it was one of the two railroads that ran through New Ulm and it actually had more customers in town than the C&NW.

Thanks for the note and I'll have to keep a closer eye on your Hope project!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to edwardstd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate the concern, but as a former employee of said line, I've seen many abbreviations, nicknames, and spellings over the years on company documents so I don't worry too much about it. C&NW; CNW; C. & N. W.; Chicago & North Western; Chicago and North Western; Chicago and North-Western; Chicago and NorthWestern (no space between North and Western); "The North Western Line"; etc...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
    Seeing as the reporting marks are CNW, that is an acceptable abbreviation.
    OK, on freight cars.

Doug
    Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
    www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

Thanks
    Thanked 4,494 Times in 1,415 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Gosha View Post
    OK, on freight cars.

Doug
    And on engines, and MOW equipment, and employee paperwork...

I think the dispatchers and crews would have been annoyed to add the ‘&’ every time they issued a track warrant.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never used the ''&'' when I worked their...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 797 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Some of you fellows take this stuff WAAAAAAAAAAY too seriously. Frankly, the only variant that bugs me is when I see CN&W. Which I haven't seen in many years. I think Trix used to mistakenly abbreviate it in their catalogs that way many, many years ago.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,832 Times in 4,494 Posts
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edwardstd View Post
    Greetings, all!

I recently joined nscale.net and while doing some browsing, came across this thread. I see that there hasn't been much action lately, but at least I know there are other CNW N-scalers out there.

I worked for the Northwestern in my early college years and now that I'm retired (not from the railroad though) and have picked up the model railroading bug again, I figured it's best to concentrate on modeling the old "Alco Line" as that's where I first encountered the yellow and green smoky monsters.

I've got the first module of five just about complete and work will start on modules 2 and 3 this Fall. The theme is a bit of the mainline in the New Ulm MN area and then the branch line (former mainline) that ran from New Ulm eastward to St. Peter.

I understand that it takes a bit before a new user's posts actually make it past the moderator and show up in the forum, but as soon as that happens, I'll be happy to write more. I have a web site up and running that has been documenting my progress but that needs a bit of updating before it's ready for prime time.

--- Tom
    Welcome to our fine little group!

Those of us that love the old Cheap & Nothing Wasted are out there. Unlike many of the other Class 1 roads out there C&NW equipment can be hard too find. But it does exist. Sometimes you have to go back to the 70s to find some of the equipment. The Gallery cars are such an example. Have fun and ask questions!
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, I have to agree, C&NW stuff is hard to find! Fortunately, I've been able to collect a bunch of Atlas and Kato locomotives off of eBay. Almost of my car fleet has had to come from eBay as well, or from local train shows because of the shortage of new cars and engines on the market. Now that my railroad is well under construction, I've noticed that I do have a few extra pieces of rolling stock, so those items will go back on eBay probably this winter. That way other folks looking for C&NW stuff can have a chance at it.

I was in the military and pretty much on the move from 1975 through 2003 so I missed all the changes that took place on the C&NW during those years. When I would come back home on leave from time to time, there was always something different about the local railroad scene, but I seldom had time to check it out or take photos. The only major change that I was able to document in my local area was the takeover of the DM&E by the CP. By meeting up with some of the retired C&NW/DM&E/UP guys in the area, I've been able to catch up a little bit, but I know that I'll be posting questions as I get closer to the actual start of operations.

There are a couple of items for which I'm on the lookout and those are some of the Intermountain / Centralia Car Shops "400" passenger cars, specifically the coach with the stewardess room, the parlor car, and the baggage-tavern-lunch-lounge car. I had them on reserve but I see from their web site that those models have now been cancelled. Rats... Apparently not enough interest. I heard that they had made a run of them some time ago, but I've not had any luck finding used ones.

Here's a link to a web site that I've put together documenting the progress on the railroad so far: http://new-ulm.us/?q=node/6

I'm still working on updating the "Operations on the Model" page, but everything else should be up-to-date as of this week. Maybe this winter I'll get around to starting a series of blog posts that will tie in with the web site.

Once again, thanks for the contact!

--- Tom

12. The Following User Says Thank You to edwardstd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,403 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Des Plaines Hobbies still sells the old kit versions of some of their C&NW 400 passenger cars (baggage-tap-lounge, parlor, northern series sleeper). I've built a few of them and they're kind of a PITA, but it's at least an option - http://www.desplaineshobbies.com/sto...Passenger-Car/

-Mark

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mark - Thanks for the info! I did pick up some of those coach kits a while back but I must have missed the baggage-tap-lounge and the parlor cars. I ordered them today.

I've not assembled any of them yet, but I think I see your point about putting them together being a PITA. I'll practice with one of the regular coaches first and see how it turns out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 980 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yup, I have to agree, C&NW stuff is hard to find! Fortunately, I've been able to collect a bunch of Atlas and Kato locomotives off of eBay. Almost of my car fleet has had to come from eBay as well, or from local train shows because of the shortage of new cars and engines on the market. Now that my railroad is well under construction, I've noticed that I do have a few extra pieces of rolling stock, so those items will go back on eBay probably this winter. That way other folks looking for C&NW stuff can have a chance at it.

I was in the military and pretty much on the move from 1975 through 2003 so I missed all the changes that took place on the C&NW during those years. When I would come back home on leave from time to time, there was always something different about the local railroad scene, but I seldom had time to check it out or take photos. The only major change that I was able to document in my local area was the takeover of the DM&E by the CP. By meeting up with some of the retired C&NW/DM&E/UP guys in the area, I've been able to catch up a little bit, but I know that I'll be posting questions as I get closer to the actual start of operations.

There are a couple of items for which I'm on the lookout and those are some of the Intermountain / Centralia Car Shops "400" passenger cars, specifically the coach with the stewardess room, the parlor car, and the baggage-tavern-lunch-lounge car. I had them on reserve but I see from their web site that those models have now been cancelled. Rats... Apparently not enough interest. I heard that they had made a run of them some time ago, but I've not had any luck finding used ones.

Here's a link to a web site that I've put together documenting the progress on the railroad so far: http://new-ulm.us/?q=node/6

I'm still working on updating the "Operations on the Model" page, but everything else should be up-to-date as of this week. Maybe this winter I'll get around to starting a series of blog posts that will tie in with the web site.

Once again, thanks for the contact!

--- Tom
    Thanks for posting your website. Very good info there.

As for extra stuff you have try putting them up on NSN for sale here, you mighty get a better and quicker response without fees.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chicago Rail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aha... I haven't seen that side of this web site yet. I'll check that out. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,403 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've not assembled any of them yet, but I think I see your point about putting them together being a PITA. I'll practice with one of the regular coaches first and see how it turns out.
    The instructions recommend that you assemble and paint the roof, sides and ends first and then snap the floor in last, but I found that doing the roof last worked better. Trying to situate the floor piece without being able to push down from the top is damned near impossible.

Be aware that the parlor car has a bit of a gaffe on it - namely, the center seating area has 22 windows (11 per side) instead of 20 (10 per side). If I'd noticed the error ahead of time on mine, I would've filled in the extras -

Oh, and just ditch the trucks that come with the kits, they're useless. I went with MTL trucks instead.

-Mark

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips. After you sent the previous post, I briefly looked at the instructions for the two coaches that I have and they appear to be rather generic, probably just based on the "core" car parts. I'm expecting my first attempt to not be 100% successful, but we'll see. I'll take photos at various steps in the process and if it works out, I might post them on-line somewhere so that the learning curve might be easier for others. This is beginning to look more like a project for the long cold Minnesota winter.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just to let you know the Centralia/InterMountian cars are the DesPlaines Cars. just assembled and painted.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's kind of what I figured, since those companies (if indeed they are separate companies) seem to be in cahoots on things. I'm not that great at painting N scale rolling stock so I figured that I'd let them assemble and paint the cars, but I think I'll have to give it a try myself this Winter.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

DesPlaines Hobby is an indepentent Hobby Shop not too far from O'Hare Airport. They did all the tough bit. C/I just built and painted their kits.

By the way all kinds of road manes can be found on freight cars behind the Gold and Green locos. But also check out the many pieces of equipment in the wrong colors but with the logo and lettering on them.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Des Plaines Hobbies had the kits manufactured and then Centralia assembled and painted them. Interesting...

Well, I'll give one of the bare kits a try this winter and then see how depressed I am when I compare them to Centralia's. LOL