Thread: Southern Railway's Slate Fork Branch

Thanks
    Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,452 Posts
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Southern Railway's Slate Fork Branch

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
    Last edited by The Ol' Curmudgeon; 8th Apr 2021 at 10:23 PM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,441 Times in 4,851 Posts
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You what?! Abandoning the Pacific NW MR for the Southern? That does it, you are dead to me ... Good day sir, I said good day!
    = >

~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..." "Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,382 Times in 997 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C'mon '2013, don't be so hard on Paul.

He may be smoking a bad batch of home made cigarettes.

Or maybe someone is holding a gun on him.

He surely didn't make the switch willingly.
    (The voices I hear in my head may not be real, but sometimes they come up with a good idea.)

Have fun.

Moose

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MooseID For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,175 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked how much you were fitting on the hollow core door without making it look crowded (at least I didn't think so). Oh well, if it wasn't working for you then no sense sinking more time into the harbor. The spring theme sounds great. Challenging because it will be harder to get away with "filler" trees when all the branches are more visible, but unique and pretty cool. And I have to admit, those late model, high hood geeps are pretty cool looking. Looking forward to pictures.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,368 Times in 3,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to Appalachia! While you'll be geographically closer to TwinDad's CH&FR than to my Winchester Division, I sure we can scare up some interchange traffic. Almost every eastbound train that leaves Winchester Yard heads down to Roanoke (one of my two staging yards). Yeah, you read that right; eastbound from Winchester means actually traveling southwesterly. Trains don't actual move east until they get to Roanoke, where they get re-blocked into longer trains mixing in with coal field traffic heading to Lambert Point.

Anyway, it's pretty country down there, even if it is a mite hard on the dynamic brakes, and I'm itchin' to see what you come up with.

Hello. My name is Michael, and I am an ALCo - haul - ic.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 1,991 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For as long as I've known you Paul, I can honestly say this move shouldn't surprise me............BUT IT DOES! What are you doing?? All I can figure is that you've been spending too much time with Deverell. ( our close friend and HO modeler who after working on a huge layout for 10 years just demolished it last week) Guys, I was fortunate enough to see Paul's Milw. Road Harbor Branch and it looked better in real life than the pictures he shared with us. You know as well as any of us Paul, that anything one puts on a HCD will be a compressed area of what we are actually modeling. My heartfelt honest opinion was that you did a superb job on your MRHB. I agree with your feeling of needing to have a larger bay to justify the bridge and harbor. After seeing your layout room with limited space the only resolve I could have offered would have been to add a full length piano hinge across the end of the HCD and add a three foot drop down extension. This would have extended the run and doubled the size of your harbor. But then again, I know you don't like seam lines across your layout, especially in the water. Anyway, I'm sure you can tell I am totally disappointed that I won't be seeing what I feel would have been a fantastic layout. Moving on...........

Paul is one of the most skilled modelers that I have had the pleasure of knowing and I know what ever he dreams up for this future adventure will be great as always. I personally don't know much about eastern railroading, but I do have a few pictures to share from the couple of trips I have made, if you'd like.

I like the idea of following along with Mike C's theme of something other than summer. Trees with no leaves etc. This will definitely speed up the scenery stage. When I lived in Dallas with 100*+ days, I seriously considered a gray stormy backdrop just to make me feel cooler.

Well, I'm glad you're back and active on the forum again. Looking forward to following along and seeing the photos that will be coming soon.
    Best wishes..........m

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Whiteman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 600 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the (Green) Light, my son.
    Tim Rumph
    Modeling the Southern Railway in N-Scale

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tim R For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,409 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul,
    I am diggin your weekend update photo post...
    What are you using for trees? Coloring looks great.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,409 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea of late winter / early spring has appeal. Winter detritus. Green starting to appear. Possibility of ornamental flowering trees/plants in appropriate locations.
    I have wondered myself if this has ever been modeled.
    Looking forward to more pics and posts.

?? " Scenic Express seafoam armatures " - sorry, curious, but can't find this....
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,271 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOOK AHEAD, LOOK SOUTH! :yes:
    PW&NJ Railroad

The Resourceful Route!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PW&NJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,441 Times in 4,851 Posts
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Some Things are Simply not Forgivable...

Quote Originally Posted by MooseID View Post
    C'mon '2013, don't be so hard on Paul.

He may be smoking a bad batch of home made cigarettes.

Or maybe someone is holding a gun on him.

He surely didn't make the switch willingly.
    Moose,

[Why do I suddenly feel I'm talking to myself?]

You're right, Paul must be smokin' somethin' aweful, 'cause otherwise there'd be nooo excuse for this, this, this betrayal to North-Westerners everywhere!

I had a hard time sleeping last night, tossin' and turnin', trying to deal with this madness ... Of course, that might have just been somehow related to my Starbucks addiction...
    I've come to the conclusion that, well, its time for an intervention!

And if that doesn't work, an exorcism!
    Last edited by Moose2013; 28th Apr 2014 at 07:58 PM.
    = >

~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..." "Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,800 Times in 471 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite the grief you may be getting (why it matters to anyone else what you're modeling, I'm at a loss), I always look forward to seeing more modeling of southeastern U.S. railroads. Besides, the Southern Ry. was classy. My HCD layout includes an interchange with the Southern Ry.

DFF
    "I like trains!"

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davefoxx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,244 Times in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might be a silly question, but I see several references in this thread to photos, but I can't actually see any?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to danielb For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,940 Times in 2,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by danielb View Post
    This might be a silly question, but I see several references in this thread to photos, but I can't actually see any?
    me either :dunno:
    ~ Charles

:shay:

28. The Following User Says Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by danielb View Post
    check the Weekend Update thread

30. The Following User Says Thank You to pwh70 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been bouncing ideas around about the Ballard Terminal on an HCD as well. But not for quite a while would that come to fruition. I've got plenty to do on the Slate Fork Branch.
    Now this would make a great switching layout. Kinda concerned about the availability of ships to fill in the waterfront though. It would be cool to model a static draw bridge across the cannel seeing as you'd probably interchange cars just to the north. This track plan would probably be more suited to a shelf layout down the wall. It could still be built on narrower HCDs. Definitely something to consider.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Whiteman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,638 Times in 5,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Well, nothing I do is improving the digital camera's depth of field. It's a Canon PowerShot SD110IS, and I may be asking way too much of it.
    Yeah, that's going to be a bit tough. You might look into focus stacking software. Otherwise, you'll just have to zoom wide, rack the aperture out as far as you can, get as much light on the subject as possible, and get it on a tripod to deal with the resulting slow shutter. That's all I'd know to do. DOF is tough in this hobby even with pro gear...
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

34. The Following User Says Thank You to TwinDad For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the scenery you've started there Paul. Is that the extent so far? if not......we need more pictures. Have you developed a new track plan you can share with us? I can see where these shots fit into the former layout, but anxious to see what's coming up.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Whiteman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That "smash gate" is really cool Paul. With 3K that LED will last forever! Looks good in pic.#5 as does the grass in pic #4. Put a dot of white glue in the hole where the wires enter. This will prevent them from wiggling around and wearing off the insulation.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Whiteman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,244 Times in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic bit of modelling there Paul. But then, from the looks of the rest of your photos, that's not surprising in the slightest.

Love this thread. Is there a track plan or overall shot of the layout somewhere?

40. The Following User Says Thank You to danielb For This Useful Post: