Link to my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/epumph/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,446 Times in 3,704 Posts
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found out after the fact that Bear's family just recently watched "The Karate Kid", so my tale is even more appropriate! I was actually worried that it might go over the kids' heads, as references to an old movie they don't care about, but instead it was just the right thing.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 344 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait for the group and car to visit the WVR.
    James Ellison
    Owner and CEO of the Wabash & Eel River Railway

"The Wabash & Eel River Railway: Midwestern railroading at it's finest."

Check out the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Wabash-Eel-River-Railway-300988740552361/

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Connecticut & South Atlantic off of Angola
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loved the story!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matedow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 361 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BCCRL # 8874 car has arrived in Chicago Union Station via on rear of Amtrak Cardinal coming in from Ohio. The car will be checked out at Chicago Amtrak coach crew. They will do prevent maintenance for it'll journey to southwest suburbs of Chicago Ridge on Saturday. The adults and children will be spending the night at Chicago Hilton & Towers hotel courtesy of Amtrak Union Station group. They will spend Friday at the Navy Pier and the North Ave. beach. More to come on Saturday.
    Last edited by BNSF733 (RIP); 25th Jul 2014 at 07:16 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BNSF733 (RIP) For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here we are in Chicago lakefront before heading into Navy Pier. They have an amusement park and shops at Navy Pier. "Look at all of those boats out there, there sure is a lot of them" said Sasha. The weather is great for boating, also.

Then we all head to Willis tower to stand on the ledge at 103 floors up. "Look at all those little cars on the northern expressway, Never seen anything quite like it," said Juan.

There was a little change in plans and delays by Metra in getting another engine to run one of it's train, today. They have a shortage of Metra engines this weekend and had to borrow an engine from Amtrak coach yard for push/pull service for their train. In additional, they will add the BCCRL car behind one of Metra train to go to Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Ill.

"We probably will ride the CB&Q Nebraska Zephyr at IRM today," said Mrs. Oakstumpy. All kids cheered, "That's great, we get to ride the piece of history." And the adventure continues.................

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BNSF733 (RIP) For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaving IRM and heading back to Chicago after a long day. The men at IRM was kind enough to disconnect the car from the rear of the train and turn the car around so it can ride behind the engine on it's return trip to downtown Chicago. State law prohibits anything from riding in from of Cabcar when the engineer is in control. This means nothing can obstruct the engineer's view. All trains with cabcar rides first into the city no matter what route it's on. That's how it's set up in Chicago.

"It's been a very long day and I am ready for bed when we return," said Christopher. "I dunno about you guys but I am hungry and can't wait for great Chicago deep dish pizza when we get back," said Pereohony. "That will definitely make you sleep good tonight guys," said Mrs. Oakstumpy. Tomorrow is another day. The story continues...........

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BNSF733 (RIP) For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went to Museum of Science and Industry of Chicago on Monday.

(All Photos in this post; courtesy of Museum of Science & Industries).
    for the day on Monday. There is no RR tracks near the museum so they had to take the shuttle bus from downtown. The car #8874 was due for inspection by FRA before leaving Chicago on Tuesday. Got to see a lot of exhibits like the "Great Train Story,

All Aboard Pioneer Zephyr

The Coal Mine"

and other exhibits. There was a lot of stuff to see but too much to list here but they all had a great time. It was a great day and the weather could not be any nicer. It was cool and windy for most of the day. The wind finally died down some for the evening so it can warm up a bit for the last day in the city before heading off to Kentucky. More to come.............

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BNSF733 (RIP) For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Adventure of BCCRL #8874 continues from Chicago.....The train has left Chicago at 5:45 this evening to arrive southeast to Glover's Bend, WV by Amtrak's Cardinal/Hoosier State Line leading by the Heritage unit #156 where we will be picked up by The CH&FR RR to take them to Lexington, Kentucky. Bon Voyage Rails!

And the story continues in the Bluegrass Country...........................

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BNSF733 (RIP) For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,870 Times in 5,375 Posts
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, actually, it's Mountaineer Country, at least in the model world... but yes, Bluegrass outside my front door.

I got word today that the BCCRL #8874 was spotted on the tail of the Cardinal on its way through Huntington, WV. Should be set out in Glover's Bend as soon as I can get the layout cleaned up a bit and the camera dusted off...

Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TwinDad For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend of mine who is a railfan sent me these pictures from Glover's Bend, WV over the weekend... BCCRL #8874 arriving at Glover's Bend station at the tail of the Amtrak Cardinal, and then being moved to the new passenger service track at Nolan Yard.

I'm heading down there to check in on Mrs. Oakstumpy and the kids tonight. I hear they are going to get to ride along with the new daily commuter service in to Charleston, and maybe get to visit a working coal mine. This should be fun!

BCCRL #8874 visits Glover's Bend by BGTwinDad, on Flickr

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TwinDad For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Untitled by BGTwinDad, on Flickr

"Dag-Nabbit! What in the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks am I supposed to do with all these here danged business cars! We only just made room for the commuter fleet, and now I've got two of these gal-danged things clogging up my yard! I want these things MOVED!"

"Now, now, Joe. Calm down. They'll both be on their way shortly. Mr. Frost promised the photo group a trip into Charleston on the weekend express for an afternoon down by the river, and then they'll be headed out. The NSN car is just in for a short bit, too, and then she'll be on her way as soon as the Cardinal comes back through. In a couple of days you'll have plenty of room for your freight."

"Well I'd better. All this passenger traffic is really making it hard for me to keep the revenue moving through here. It's getting really tough to switch cuts around with two of my tracks tied up."

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TwinDad For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over the weekend, the kids were put to work on the shuttle trains to Charleston WV... well, not really working... they were visiting with the passengers, learning about the area and getting some great stories from the oldsters...

by BGTwinDad, on Flickr
    The Charleston, WV Amtrak station

by BGTwinDad, on Flickr
    Part of the Charleston skyline...

by BGTwinDad, on Flickr
    BCCRL 8874 and NSN2014 on the platform at Charleston. I had this really cool idea of a forced perspective thing here... not so much.

But all good things must come to an end, so the car is now on its way back into the wide world, headed to the TCIRR...
    Untitled by BGTwinDad, on Flickr

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TwinDad For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,958 Times in 4,804 Posts
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

'A telegraph' Jerry Novotny said half questioning.
    'Yup,' said Elmer, ' from car that was picked up by the Eastbound local. It is a converted obs car and has 4 high school kids and an adult -Mrs. Oaklumpy or something like that. The local is on schedule - meaning it is 10 minutes late.'
    Jerry - ' have the crew cut the car at the Murrysville station and will let the local go and take care of the occupants.'

DSC02357 by epumph, on Flickr

DSC02360 by epumph, on Flickr

DSC02361 by epumph, on Flickr

click on pic to enlarge
    more to come...
    Yours,

Gene

Turtle Creek Industrial RR

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

'Welcome all to Murrysville and the Turtle Creek Industrial RR' said Jerry. 'Hope your trip through West Virginia was pleasant. I'm sure the CH&FR treated you well. We would like to offer you lodging for your stay at the Murrysville Hotel. First we will hit Elsie's Cafe and get some burgers or whatever you like. Then to the hotel for showers and a good nights sleep.'

'Get old 462 out to haul the car to the yard for inspection and any repairs needed' said Jerry.

DSC02362 by epumph, on Flickr

DSC02363 by epumph, on Flickr

DSC02364 by epumph, on Flickr
    Yours,

Gene

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

'Good morning' said Jerry to the 4 students and Mrs. Oakstumpy. 'Mrs. Oakstumpy has arranged for some transportation around the area for you to work on your photo journals. Have a great day and see you all at the dinner hall of the hotel for dinner at 6 PM.'

Juan got a ride to the TCIR yard because he attended a tech high school was interested in tech stuff. He got the captain of the river tug to take him out so he could get this shot of the car float:

DSC02372 by epumph, on Flickr

Petrephony expressed interest in the brewery. She said her distant uncle YB up in Canada drank a fair amount of beer and she always wondered what was in it.

DSC02365 by epumph, on Flickr

Sasha, being from an arts school wanted some photos of the architecture of the area:

DSC02369 by epumph, on Flickr

Chriistopher, being from a private school, was interested in manufacturing (on the ownership/management side) so he went to Turtle Creek industrial area and took some photos of the Weyerhauser Plywood plant and Pierce Bros furniture:

DSC02366 by epumph, on Flickr

DSC02367 by epumph, on Flickr

The gang met up again at 6 PM sharp (well as sharp as a group of teenagers could be expected to be) and had dinner and a chat on their activities of the day.
    Mrs. Oakstumpy told the group that they had to be ready to leave at 6:30 AM and heard a chorus of groans. Mrs O told them that they had to get on board and be ready for the next leg of their trip.
    continued...
    Yours,

Gene

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well all good things come to an end and this leg of the adventure is no exception. A sleepy, grumpy, and a few other of Snow White's friends boarded the obs car and said goodbye to Murrysville and the TCIR. The old Alco RS 2 coupled up and hauled the car to the Pitcairn interchange to be picked up by the Westbound local and headed for the Wabash Valley RR.

DSC02370 by epumph, on Flickr

DSC02371 by epumph, on Flickr

End
    Yours,

Gene

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to epumph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What in the name of all things railroading are you thinking Mr. Ellison?!?!?!?" Boomed a voice in my office. The voice belonged to no other than Mr. Wallburg (not related to Mark Wahlburg) and he was livid as he walked into my office this morning. "Now what's this latest rage fit about? And don't tell me it's about your kids and 655, because we already discussed that one," I said calmly. "No, sir. It's not that, even though I am getting more anxcious to have my kids home," he replied. "It's another traveling rail car I am hearing about. Heard it's somehow getting routed from New Jersey to Indianapolis, via Amtrak's Cardinal." "Yes," I said. "BCCRL 8874 is coming this way for a visit. It has a group of four high schoolers and a teacher on a special photography trip and I wanted them to see what the Wabash Valley Railroad is all about."

"I see," Mr. Wallburg said. He thought about the new information before continuing. "Well, perhaps my kids will be able to meet this next wave of visitors, if 655 returns at the correct time. I think it's in Illinois now right?" "Correct," I responded. "Illinois, then routed via the Iowa Interstate to Peoria, where they will ride on the back end of PELKI-01 (Peoria-Effner-Logansport-Kokomo-Indianapolis train 1 of 3 with the routing) to Logansport. Or at least that's the plan. Maybe we can work something different out as these events move forward, but for now, let's make preparations to welcome the BCCRL car and then we will worry about if your kids get to meet the photography group or not.

To be continued......
    James Ellison

Check out the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Wabash-Eel-River-Railway-300988740552361/

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Next stop Logansport, Indiana. Estimated time of arrival: 3:45 PM Eastern Time," came the voice over the PA system as the WVR's Cajun Zephyr rolled along the old IMC northbound. Juan was slowly waking up from his nap and thought he was imagining what he'd heard. "Where are we?" he asked. "Juan, you have to see this!" Sasha said, ignoring his question.

"What?" he asked, as he sat up. His question was answered as he realized they were running down the middle of a street. "Why are we on a street?" he asked. "It's one of those streetrunning sections of track we were told about," Sasha replied. Christopher jumped into the conversation. "That's the courthouse," he said, pointing to a building surrounded by parking spaces and streets. "I can see that," Juan replied. "But what city?" "If you'll look one either side of the train," said a new voice over the PA system. "You'll see all kinds of activity that is the daily routines of the citizens of Kokomo, Indiana." "Does that answer your question, Juan?" Sasha asked.

Just then, the conductor walked in. "We'll be making a stop at the depot in Logansport. The WVR is sending locomotive #12 to tow you guys back to the 18th Street yard, while the Zephyr is stopped. Your passenger car will be stored there while you visit."

(to be continued)
    Last edited by Trainman19; 27th Aug 2014 at 05:29 PM.
    James Ellison

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was heading home for the evening when the photography group came over to my car. "Mr. Ellison, what's going on over there?" Juan asked, pointing toward the caboose siding. "That, Juan, is a 'Welcome Home' party for the Wallburg children, who have just come home from a long trip in one of our cabooses," I replied. "Are the related to Mark Wahlburg?" Sasha asked. I chuckled. "No, they aren't. They're last name is spelled differently from his. I've had people ask me what it was like having a famous family work for me, then walk away looking disappointed when I tell them the truth." "Can we go talk to them?" Christopher asked, eager to meet them. "Not tonight," I said. "They need to get some rest at their house, because they haven't had a good night's sleep in their own beds for almost a year." "Ok," they said together. After saying my good nights to the group, I went home, ready for the events to come.
    James Ellison

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Trainman19 For This Useful Post: