Thanks
    Thanked 1,540 Times in 344 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    I don't think that's comparing apples to apples. From Kato USA's website:

"This set is being offered exclusively in the US through Kato USA and is not available anywhere else. Quantities are extremely limited and we are only taking orders through the end of the year or while supplies last!"

So you have 3 things going for this offer. It's only available in the US. Quantities are extremely limited and you have to order by the end of 2016 (to take delivery in March).

The guy who purchased it on eBay could be outside the US and the purchase was this month. And unless he/she knew about the offer in 2016, February is too late.
    It's a Japanese model and 100% available within Japan, the limited number of them available in the US (300 to be exact 150 each of the 2 runs) has no bearing on the rest of the market therefore someone is still a numb nut

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 693 Posts
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, after dozens and dozens of pleasant eBay transactions as a buyer, I've encountered only my second problem. He sent me a car that has a truck with a broken pin. It was well-packed, but I couldn't find the pin in the box—the truck was just sitting in the box, loose. He claimed it was fine when he packed it.

The car had no box, so I don't even know who made it, or what kind of pin or screw to buy to repair it. I paid $18 plus $5.80 shipping. I asked to return it, but he said he didn't accept returns because he's "not a business." Okay, so I asked for a $10 credit. He offered $5. I didn't accept his offer, and now the return is considered "completed" by eBay. I just messaged him and asked him if he wanted to risk negative feedback over $10. The seller currently has a 100% feedback score over 201 transactions as a seller.

Southern Pacific | Santa Fe | SPSF | BNSF | Metrolink | CalTrain | Chicago Metra | TGV Lyria

railways by Kato Unitrack + Unitram | electric light-rail by Tomix | construction by Kato Diotown & Tomytec Co., Ltd. | vehicles by Busch GmbH & Co. KG
    ambient sound design by Fantasonics | digital command control by Dynamis Ultima | layout automation by RailController

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, the plot thickens. It so happens that the same seller is selling two MTL 60' ATSF high-cube boxcars for only $26 with free shipping. So I paid the buy-it-now price of $26 since it was a decent deal, and asked if he would credit me $6 to compensate for the previous issue, making my cost only $10 each for two cars that normally sell for $15-$25 each. It just burns me that I paid $23.80 for a car with a truck with a missing screw (I really wanted the load that came with it). I don't even know if the threads are good since the screw-head on the other truck is stripped. I suppose I should just try a screw from another car to test it.

But in all my eBay dealings, I've only gotten burned twice. So, I guess you win some, you lose some. I've gotten plenty of good deals over the last year that totally make up for this. I paid $23.80 with shipping, and I would've thought it fairer deal at $13.80 considering the missing truck screw, especially since this may be a no-name brand car with non-standard threads. So, in the grand scheme of things, I was quibbling over only $5 (the seller initially offered a $5 credit). It seems like nothing, but it still bothers the heck out of me. It's funny . . . I waste $5 on stupid crap all the time (e.g., fancy coffees). Maybe I'm over-reacting?

Southern Pacific | Santa Fe | SPSF | BNSF | Metrolink | CalTrain | Chicago Metra | TGV Lyria

railways by Kato Unitrack + Unitram | electric light-rail by Tomix | construction by Kato Diotown & Tomytec Co., Ltd. | vehicles by Busch GmbH & Co. KG
    ambient sound design by Fantasonics | digital command control by Dynamis Ultima | layout automation by RailController

Thanks
    Thanked 2,479 Times in 715 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Metrolink View Post
    I've only gotten burned twice. So, I guess you win some, you lose some.
    -- hopefully you can replace the truck pin or screw pretty readily (I have bought a few lots of old trucks to build up my inventory of strange parts so I can get freight back on the tracks (well back into storage and off the bench).

I have also had a couple of dud buys on Ebay lately. In one case I bought a PA-PB-PA + PA-PB + 5 Passenger car lot in order to get another PA unit for a different line. Actually lot came and looked nice. Loco ran out of the box but really noisy. I lubed it and put on track with the PB-PA + 5 passenger car set behind it. Ran it around the track a few more times and it got jerky and died with smoke. Opened it up and the windings had broken -- multiple tiny loose wires floating around in there. I think this was just bad luck with an old loco. I let the seller know this had happened to ask if the loco had been repaired or something and he said no and sent me a replacement chassis in the mail (it is an older style PA unit so not sure I can consist it like I hoped but still seems like a decent seller and just bad luck on my part -- and the result of me buying old locomotives). Actually I only paid around $5 or $6 per car overall so even if they were all dummies still not terrible.

Second dud lot was a Bachmann N&W 4-8-4 J Series that was listed as running but came with drivers off, cracked gears, two broken rod connections on running gear, and a dead motor. -- sounds like a nice loco right ? By the way -- also covered in cat hair, lint, and other mystery fluff and definitely from a smoking household... sheesh... got a partial refund from seller because the listing was misleading (has not hit my paypal yet so staying tuned) -- again it was a cheap lot so even if it becomes a shelf-queen not terrible but I will try to figure out if I can fix it.

I guess you take the good with the bad.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McNamee View Post
    Second dud lot was a Bachmann N&W 4-8-4 J Series that was listed as running but came with drivers off, cracked gears, two broken rod connections on running gear, and a dead motor . . .
    Ack! I guess I'll consider myself lucky then. I guess I really can't complain at all for all the good deals I've gotten on eBay. I win like-new or NOS stuff all the time for either no more than the original selling price, or at a super-discount. Two of my past eBay buys which arrived broken, the sellers just refunded all my money and let me keep the items. But if these are the extent of my "worst" eBay experiences, I think I've actually been pretty lucky.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McNamee View Post
    . . . hopefully you can replace the truck pin or screw pretty readily (I have bought a few lots of old trucks to build up my inventory of strange parts so I can get freight back on the tracks (well back into storage and off the bench).
    Yeah, that's my problem. Since I haven't yet made my first big-bag-o-trucks purchase yet, I literally have no replacement parts on hand.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It so happens that the same seller is selling two MTL 60' ATSF high-cube boxcars for only $26 with free shipping [so I] asked if he would credit me $6 to compensate for the previous issue, making my cost only $10 each for two cars that normally sell for $15-$25 each.
    Finally, the guy accepts my offer. He credited $6 toward my subsequent purchase of two MTL 60' ATSF boxcars. So I got two boxcars for $10 each with free shipping. The $6 credit takes some of the sting out of my prior $23.80 purchase for a broken car (making it $17.80). Similar boxcars sell for at least $15 each on eBay, so I'm fine with that.

So that brings the grand total of "problem" eBay sellers to only two. And both offered at least partial refunds, so I figure I'm still slightly ahead. Add to that at least two sellers who just let me keep the broken item, plus refunded my entire purchase. Overall, very good experiences on eBay.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Metrolink For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, after dozens and dozens of pleasant eBay transactions as a buyer, I've encountered only my second problem.
    I had received a Walther's 3-car intermodal set, from a seller a couple of years ago. When it arrived, the shipping box was in fine shape. Once opened, the box inside looked as if it had been walk on! But, the cars looked to be in good shape. Upon further inspection, I found that on one of the cars, one pin was not in the truck. And when I put it back in, it fell out again! Looking closer, you could see where someone had drilled out the hole! There were scratch marks, and other damage on the underside of the car. Someone had obviously tried to remove/replace this truck at one time. And from the looks of it they weren't very mechanically inclined.

I immediately sent the seller an email, letting him know I had damaged goods. At first he replied SHIPPING MISHANDLING, blah blah blah. On my 2nd communication, I told him I could fix it, but would be contacting Ebay with pictures, because it was NOT a shipping problem. I got a final email from him, within a couple of hours, crediting my Paypal account with $15.00 on the $35.00 transaction! I left him a POSITIVE rating with in the 2 day time frame. (And fixed the car, to boot! Thank you Scotchweld.)
    N-joy!
    Tred - (USN-Ret.)
    Kansas City, KS
    (Sent using @ 1000Mbps)
    "No matter where you go, there you are!"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tred For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tred View Post
    I got a final email from him, within a couple of hours, crediting my Paypal account with $15.00 on the $35.00 transaction! I left him a POSITIVE rating with in the 2 day time frame.
    Yes, some sellers really step up to the plate and do us right! My last seller really cheaped-out, and also blamed the shipper. My car was in no way damaged in shipping—it had to have been broken when he put it in the box, or was just about to break. My trucks have been fooled with as well, with one the the trucks' screws completely stripped (I'm also betting the threads are toast in the hole with the missing screw). Glad to hear yours worked out!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 707 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do Craigslist ads count? Har har har! Comedy gold right here!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tag/6042985584.html
    Daniel Dawson

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mobile One For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,121 Times in 3,526 Posts
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Wonder if he would take $90.01???
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Support the natural selection process, remove the warning labels....

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,442 Times in 3,324 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$90 for that?! There's a nice warm bed for him at Western State Hospital. ...

Maybe he needs the $$$ for some Funny Weed.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 929 Posts
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's in Pesos?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like an old Bachman.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 594 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats the best laugh I had all day.
    Cheers, Paul
    President & CEO of the BHRR

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my first entry into this thread. This seller is offering N Scale Tri-Rail Coaches

http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-Scale-Tri-...p2056016.l4276

Basically with his "But it Now" price of $300, the seller wants $100 per coach, the same coaches that sold for $30 retail when they were in the stores around 2 years ago. I know this an O Scale reference, but $520 for an O Scale MTH R-21 Subway Set? Seriously? He didn't get any bids before with a $400 opening bid price, so now he "lowered" it to $399. SMH

I wonder how much he sold or is selling the N Scale office buildings in the background of the Tri-Rail photos.

I'm always on the lookout for N and HO Scale Tri-Rail Coaches to replace the ones that I foolishly sold off a few years ago. I know these runs are scarce (hint, hint Athearn, time to make another run) but everytime a Tri-Rail or a Toronto GO Transit coach or set show up on eBay it's always ridiculously overpriced in my opinion, and I pass. Somebody eventually buys them unfortunately so these sellers know that they will come across a sale.

I want my Tri-Rail, but not a $100 per car.
    -Kevin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interestingly enough, I have my eBay account set up to send me alerts when things I want go on sale. People make errors in their listings so my alerts are set up for Tri-Rail in multiple different versions and misspellings. Somehow, I was never notified when this Tri-Rail Coach set (everything was spelled correctly) became available last month... and later sold for $10. That's right $10! On only one bid! I'm not happy with eBay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLORIDA-TRI-...p2047675.l2557

I'm sure the seller was hoping for a higher sale price and the buyer was happy that they got a steal of a deal with their $10 opening bid.
    -Kevin

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,253 Times in 1,366 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amfleet25124 View Post
    I'm sure the seller was hoping for a higher sale price and the buyer was happy that they got a steal of a deal with their $10 opening bid.
    If it makes you feel any better, it does say it was a "Buy It Now" sale.... Perhaps the seller listed it mistakenly at $10 thus the quick sale and lack of Ebay notification to you...??
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, it does say it was a "Buy It Now" sale.... Perhaps the seller listed it mistakenly at $10 thus the quick sale and lack of Ebay notification to you...??
    True. I'm sure the seller wasn't happy either way
    -Kevin

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,253 Times in 1,366 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amfleet25124 View Post
    Somehow, I was never notified when this Tri-Rail Coach set (everything was spelled correctly) became available last month...
    I have yet to understand Ebay's algorithms. I have several alerts and it is not uncommon to get an alert after an item has been listed for 5 days and sold. I will often find the item days before Ebay does and although I have fine-tuned my alerts, sometimes Ebay misses my basic words for simple alert searches. Very frustrating to find something you have been looking for show up in a "sold listing" and for less than you were willing to pay....
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802