Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 417 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrodtoo
    May be a certificate of authenticity would help?
    no... no it wouldn't

Thanks
    Thanked 7,044 Times in 2,338 Posts
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Wow!!! That's just crazy!
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,859 Times in 5,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    It's not going to help much that eBay's "People also viewed" thing just below the main auction info brings up a nearly identical (red instead of green) car at 1/10 the price...
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

Thanks
    Thanked 11,108 Times in 3,181 Posts
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...are they really ??
    Why, yes they are ... AND they do let you get 6 months to pay [subject to credit approval], so anyone can afford one...
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly enough, one sold in August for $124.
    I got 4 in a non-Ebay auction grouping with other stuff and sold 3 in $75 range.

May be that these are a bit in shorter supply/higher demand...?

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
    It's not going to help much that eBay's "People also viewed" thing just below the main auction info brings up a nearly identical (red instead of green) car at 1/10 the price...
    - that red one is without trucks... be interesting to see what it goes for.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,859 Times in 5,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    I got 4 in a non-Ebay auction grouping with other stuff and sold 3 in $75 range.

Ah. I missed the "Without trucks" part. Still, at a glance, I don't think it really helps.

I do know these whale belly tanks are hard to find, so it doesn't surprise me that they get bid up. Not as much as some of the other things posted on this thread.
    Never mistake a guy who talks a lot for a guy who has something to say...

CH&FR Site and Blog: http://www.chfrrailroad.net and http://blog.chfrrailroad.net
    Appalachian Railroad Technology: http://www.apprailtech.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post

I like the look of them, and reckon they would make a great static item on a layout at a building - are the trucks anything special on these - I guess they would be since theres 2 extra inboard.... EG: if I bought a cheaper one, what trucks would fit up..

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are rivarossi's worth .. Ummm
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/131276822291

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are rivarossi's worth .. Ummm http://www.ebay.com/itm/131276822291
    "Looks like new" and Free Shippng.... so... I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
    It's not going to help much that eBay's "People also viewed" thing just below the main auction info brings up a nearly identical (red instead of green) car at 1/10 the price..
    The truck-less 94' tankers went for $20.51 and $23.05.... Still a lot but not bad if you really wanted these "whale belly" tankers. Might have wanted to upgrade trucks/couplers anyway.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looked at your postings - sorry but I don't buy from those who add this new-ish "import fee".

IMHO this is a bogus "import charges" and adds unnecessarily to the cost for Canadians (and others?). Ebay sellers who opt out of this fee have a definite advantage. There is no import fees imposed on used model railroads by Canadian customs, (which are considered toys by the government) and I've been importing lots and lots of N Scale over the years from the USA eBay and never ever paid this fee which this "import charge" is supposed to save me from doing.

It can double the already outrageous postage fee. I used to pay $5 or so to have N-scale stuff emailed to me in small packages, now eBay says $20 or so and this import fee is often another $20. A $20 item becomes $60 real quick and this makes it really cost prohibitive to buy an N scale car off of evil Bay from the USA now. I now look across the pond as ebay.UK is not charging this fee and Royal Postage to Canada is not as expensive, my layout may start to take on a decisively British look. Shipping time takes a little longer but not always.

I think this charge must be optional because not every American eBay seller charges this charge but those who do, I hope they realize it just adds unnecessarily to the cost of their product. If I'm selling on an on-line auction I want to make my product attractive to the largest group of bidders to drive up the price, not sure the advantage to the seller for this bogus "import fee". Why would a seller choose to use this?

Here ends today's rant.
    FKD

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fortkentdad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,108 Times in 3,181 Posts
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are rivarossi's worth .. Ummm
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/131276822291
    Hmmm, seller states "...Alaska, Hawaii and all other foreign countries need to contact me for a correct shipping quote..." Moose always suspected Alaska was a foreign country, but Hawaii too? Moose learn something new every day...

~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
    Looked at your postings - sorry but I don't buy from those who add this new-ish "import fee".
    ?? Missed which post you are referencing...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,226 Times in 3,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here ends today's rant.
    A lot of sellers have no idea what the "service" does. Ebay pushed it hard on sellers saying it will make international shipping easier for both parties so a lot of less experienced ebay sellers opted into the service thinking it was a pro rather than a con. Until they get angry international customers telling them it's doubled their shipping fees (the seller doesn't even see the shipping fee since it's hidden and "taken care of" by ebay) then they change it back, if they want to keep getting international and especially Canadian customers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 576 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baronjutter View Post
    A lot of sellers have no idea what the "service" does. Ebay pushed it hard on sellers saying it will make international shipping easier for both parties so a lot of less experienced ebay sellers opted into the service thinking it was a pro rather than a con. Until they get angry international customers telling them it's doubled their shipping fees (the seller doesn't even see the shipping fee since it's hidden and "taken care of" by ebay) then they change it back, if they want to keep getting international and especially Canadian customers.
    You talking about this Pitney Bowles Global Shipping thingie? I have no personal experience with it, but some fellow German modelers say they had to pay the import taxes themselves a second time, because Pitney Bowles did not correctly declare the items... so buyers beware, sellers take care.

Heiko

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes that Pitney Bowles Global thing.
    As I said, I've 'imported' tons of used N scale from the USA over the past decade or so on Ebay - Never Ever paid import fees. Once in a rare blue moon paid GST (5%) tax but that is far far less than anything Pitney wants to charge me on every purchase. Not sure what they are saving me from but it ain't working. As far as I know there are no import or duty charges to be paid on used "toys" as Revenue Canada considers fine N Scale models. But whatever, this fee is just a money grab IMHO. And effectively penalizes us 'foreign' buyers. I guess it is a bonus for Canadian ebay vendors because now I look there first, then to the UK, and then if I can't find it, will consider the USA. Sometimes I contact the vendor about this, but once they click "yes save my customers the trouble of not paying any fees by charging them an arm and a leg" well then they can't undo it. And if I ask for cheaper standard US Postal Service normal delivery instead of this Priority Post thing - well that they can't do either. Oh well, a boon for Canadian vendors and Canadian Hobby Stores who now compete more favourably. Just have to save up and spend my MRR money at the Train Show that comes around every September.
    FKD

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fortkentdad For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said, I've 'imported' tons of used N scale from the USA over the past decade or so on Ebay - Never Ever paid import fees. Once in a rare blue moon paid GST (5%) tax but that is far far less than anything Pitney wants to charge me on every purchase. Not sure what they are saving me from but it ain't working. As far as I know there are no import or duty charges to be paid on used "toys" as Revenue Canada considers fine N Scale models. But whatever, this fee is just a money grab IMHO. And effectively penalizes us 'foreign' buyers. I guess it is a bonus for Canadian ebay vendors because now I look there first, then to the UK, and then if I can't find it, will consider the USA. Sometimes I contact the vendor about this, but once they click "yes save my customers the trouble of not paying any fees by charging them an arm and a leg" well then they can't undo it. And if I ask for cheaper standard US Postal Service normal delivery instead of this Priority Post thing - well that they can't do either. Oh well, a boon for Canadian vendors and Canadian Hobby Stores who now compete more favourably. Just have to save up and spend my MRR money at the Train Show that comes around every September.
    You wanna talk about getting robbed on ebay?
    Try $42.00 to ship 1 N-Scale signal to Australia... We get reamed massively.. but there are only half dozen N-Scale shops in the whole country here... Captive audience..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite has knocked off 15% (again).
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CON-COR-N-SC...item5ae854325a
    Do not go gentle into that good night - Thomas
    Dana
    US ARMY Ret
    Oil Mill Creek RR - NY, NH & H

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magi46 View Post
    My favorite has knocked off 15% (again).
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CON-COR-N-SC...item5ae854325a
    That is a bit steep considering 2 of these same sets recently sold for $152 and $200....

He is probably hoping to get in on some of these Con Cor set $s...: http://www.ebay.com/sch/N-Scale-/191...&LH_Complete=1 - even these are loosing some appeal as shown by lower prices on 2nd.3rd pages...

I could understand if these were finely crafted pieces but they are just "limited edition" paint schemes of generic equipment and don't usually represent the specific trains they are named after. That said, I have picked up a few sets for their novelty but paid much lower prices for them - the CNJ Blue Comet and the Lehigh John Wilkes - both in the $100 range.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had no idea although I did wonder how 'helpful' the Global Shipping Program really is. Hearing from potential buyers in Canada & other countries is very useful. I plan to opt-out of the GSP from now on & go back to 'Foreign buyers please contact me before bidding for foreign shipping cost'. I have voided an auction then relisted as BIN when a bidder has sent a question. Heck, a year ago, I did that, took the engines a Canadian buyer had purchased with me when I visited my parents in Ontario, then shipped from there. Since I didn't know how much the shipping would be, we agreed on a shipping fee ahead of time. After I shipped, I refunded the difference so he only paid the actual shipping.
    Doug Fast

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scoup87 For This Useful Post: